What happens when a Trek book is sold out and out of print?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dream, Sep 14, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Not too mention that a lot of those early books (like Star Trek The Motion Picture & The Entropy Effect and even the original version of Probe as per Voyages of the Imagination) were written on typewriter, and as such there would probably be no original digital file of the manuscript, and if they put it out in ebook, someone would have to re-type or scan in the whole book.

I've got the ebook version of The Hardy Boys Casefiles #89 Darkness Falls and it looks like someone just ripped apart a printed copy and scanned in each and every page into Adobe and just created a PDF of the book that way.

But getting back to the original post, I think the original three books of the Destiny trilogy will probably fall into the out-of-print listings as the remaining stock runs out, and Simon & Schuster probably won't authorize any more printings since they have the omnibus edition out and that will be the "Destiny" book.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sure, but then the typed manuscripts were placed in some kind of electronic form for publishing in book form. For a time, the programs used were not compatible for economical eBook conversion.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, back at the time of TMP and The Entropy Effect, I don't think typesetting was done with computers yet.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I had the college yearbook I edited in October 1979 professionally typeset. It produced a long length of hole-punched tape, which was then converted into typeface on photosensitive paper.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, never underestimate how slow and creaky publishing was when it came to embracing computers. As I mentioned in another thread last week, when I first started working in publishing, around 1987, all the editors and assistants were still using typewriters in the office. There was one computer in the editorial department and it was stuck in a storage closet because nobody knew how to use it. And cover mechanicals were still made using Exacto knives and glue . . . .

Remember, you're talking book people here, not high-tech early adopters . . . .

6. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Yeah but people go out of print to and there is no way I am going to read all the Star Trek books I own currently again before I die, theres just not enough time!

so if one is out of print- get it used
    or read another book
    or re read one u already own
    or do something else:guffaw: