What happens between TMP and WOK?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Commander Kielbasa, Jan 8, 2017.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are all very very silly.
    PS: Number Six must have really hated the way Columbo kept catching him for murder...

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

He got stuck in a diner waiting for a fortune-telling machine to tell him what to do.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

One my first wins in the TOS Caption Contest.
    [​IMG]

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Twelve years of almost completely untold history. There'd definitely be a lot to explore. That's more than twice the length of Kirk's five-year mission and a timeframe almost completely unknown to the fans save for references in TWOK and GEN to what Kirk and Spock were doing during those years.

publiusr likes this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

OTOH, the defining factor of those years is Admiral Kirk getting bored stiff!

Thankfully, things that James T. Kirk might find boring could be pretty damn exciting to us regular folks...

Timo Saloniemi

6. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most of the crew spent years wandering the ship admiring the improved decor and high quality aesthetics.

Except for a few who grumbled it was too dark and how they missed the bright colours.

Armus likes this.
  7. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I always figured Kirk retained his temporary rank reduction to Captain and commanded another five year mission from 2273-2278. Command of the Enterprise was turned over to Spock and the ship became an academy training vessel. He took up his rank of Admiral again and his old job of head of Starfleet Operations. A few years into the job he was just as bored as the last time but with the Enterprise relegated to the Academy, he decided to retire. He moved to his Uncle's farm in Idaho, met Antonia but found that staying on one planet just didn't suit him. In 2282 he left Antonia, reactivated his commission and took up a position at the Academy to work with Spock and Bones. In 2283 he accompanied Spock on the training cruise that led to the battle with Khan.

My own chronology has the events of TWOK and TSFS taking place in 2283 since I think Space Seed took place in 2267 and to my reckoning this date makes more sense in regards to Kirk's line about his last meeting with Khan being 15 years ago. TVH and TFF take place in 2284 and TUC in 2293.

lawman, C57D, Armus and 1 other person like this.
  8. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Kirk's hair continues to defy science and grow thicker and curlier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Rogaine, 23rd Century Edition.

cooleddie74 and Armus like this.
  10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Tribble fur transplants are costly and noticeable, even in a less judgmental era that no longer uses money. Rugs are still hard to hide in ANY century.

11. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are so many people assuming that Kirk would have retained the command of Enterprise after the V'ger crisis? Regardless the strange and unnecessary rank shuffling, certainly the arrangement was merely temporary, and Kirk would have returned to his job as an Admiral.

BillJ likes this.
  12. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Kirk and Spock literally just save the earth from destruction by V'ger. Kirk was obsessed with getting back command of the Enterprise. I can totally see him playing the card of "You wouldn't even be here right now if it wasn't for me being in the right place at the right time. Give me back command of the Enterprise again and let me do what I do best in the best interests of earth and the Federation." I can't see Decker and Sonak pulling off what Kirk and Spock did. Decker was too cautious and always presented the "safer" option to Kirk at every turn in the beginning. Sonak didn't have the inner drive/need that Spock had when he mind melded with V'ger and comprehended V'ger's dilemma. Starfleet owed Jim Kirk big time and both sides knew it. But I bet Starfleet kept Kirk and the Enterprise closer to home on routine patrols rather than exploring the boundaries of unknown areas of deep space.

C57D likes this.
  13. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

...Because that's exactly what the end of TMP implies?

ChallengerHK and lawman like this.
  14. Longinus

That he took Enterprise for a little spin doesn't mean he could keep the command for years. He was still an admiral; admirals don't act as captains of ships in Starfleet.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't quite work, because we can definitely date the Antonia episode to 2284, nine years before the launch of the Enterprise-B, itself 78 years before TNG's "eighth" season in 2371.

The "fifteen years" in TWOK is vague enough not to straightjacket us.

TWOK can be no earlier than the bottle of Romulan Ale (2283) and is likely after Kirk's near-retirment in 2284. The Okudas' 2285 is as good as any proposed date. TSFS, TVH and TFF all take place within the following 12 months, as there doesn't seem to be much of a gap between them. Seems like a few weeks between TWOK and TSFS, three months between TSFS and TVH and, what, three weeks between TVH and TFF?

The obvious space for a second five year mission is therefore between TFF and TUC!

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We can put the "Antonia episode" in 2284 easily enough, because for all we know it lasts for exactly one weekend...

Three months between TSfS and TVH is explicit. How many months between the beginning of TVH and the end of TVH is not clear - there's quite a bit of leeway between Kirk's trial and him getting the new ship.

Between TVH and TFF... Well, TFF opens with Scotty giving a "shakedown cruise report". We can assume the cruise didn't take a full year (like the E-E one did) because the ship proved to be such a lemon; weeks would be more likely. And Kirk gave Scotty three weeks to get the ship working - was that inclusive or exclusive the shakedown cruise?

Beyond that, we can argue that Scotty tried to get the ship work multiple times, and this is just his latest failure in a months- or even years-long string of failures, but that'd be somewhat forced. And it's not as if we desperately need to set TFF far apart from TVH. The only absolute time reference there is 20 years since the founding of the joint colony on Nimbus III (or turning the local colony into a joint effort), and 20 is a round number we can stretch or contract to allow for the founding to happen after Romulans come out of the closet in "Balance of Terror".

Timo Saloniemi

ChallengerHK likes this.
  17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the new bridge suggests a decent amount of work went in to getting the ship working. Or perhaps it was more a case of Scotty getting ahead of himself, like Father Ted sorting out a ding in his car with a tap of the hammer.

18. Longinus

As we're talking about the dates of the films, as I have said before, I always felt that it was odd that TMP was supposed to take place in 2273, only few years after TOS, although in real world more than decade has passed. Conversely, TWOK takes place in 2285, supposedly twelve years later, yet in the real world only three years have passed. It would make more sense, if TMP took place around 2278ish. That way Kirk could command another five-year mission before it (and as a Captain, not as an Admiral) and Spock could assume the command after the V'ger crisis. Kirk would return doing admiral stuff, and then we would neatly be at the situation in the beginning of TWOK.

Terok Nor likes this.
  19. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

This was explored for years, in a not so organized way, in the pocket novels. Several of the novels explored the Star Trek Universe as though Kirk had commanded the 1st FYM in the late 2260s and that there was a 2nd FYM in the 2270s. Then STMP happened.

But to answer the question, especially if you rely on the comics and novels....A LOT. After STMP it is generally agreed that Kirk commands the 2nd FYM. It probably ends somewhere in late 2278....about the time that Chekov heads off to Reliant. Even after the 2nd FYM missions....there are stories (again in the comics and novels) which have the crew doing an awful lot.

lawman likes this.
  20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Because he was obsessed with that ship..he had no life