What happened to Kurn's daughters after Kurn's "death"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Paradise City, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly. As I said, Noggra would have certainly seen to it that Kurn's surviving family members were kept safe. He's a long time friend of the House of Mogh, after all.

And let's not forget that Kurn's wife and children would surely be formidable fighters in their own right. They're not going to just sit back and let themselves be killed. They wouldn't go down without a fight.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most people would like to make calls on their own health and treatments. However, states have ways and means where they take that away from you in the name of your own health or that of the public.

3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They sort of took away his honor, his dignity, and his religious customs. And he wasn't even a Federation citizen. They also took away his dignity by placing him in that spandex bajoran uniform...poor Kurn.

It's seems strange that they can wipe someone's memory to the point of erasing their identity. Maybe they learned the technique from the incident in "Conundrum"

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've known Starfleet capable of wiping specific memories on newly discovered races as early as TNG season 2. If they can do that, than completely purging a person's memory from a race the Federation as been familiar with for 200 years should be a walk in the park.

5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's hope he doesn't have flashbacks, dreams of another life, or start asking too many questions. What if he got really curious and did a DNA "scan." Surely he's on some database somewhere. Kurn got screwed

6. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure the material was exactly spandex, lol. But I get your point.

7. Jono

Bashir threw in for free some genetic recoding to go with it.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but (pre-mindwipe) wasn't it Kurn's idea to join Odo's security force? IIRC, they were the only ones who would take him.

9. Paradise City

Kurn joining Odo's security force was a good stop gap measure. There's nothing to say he'd be tethered to that job foreover even if Kurn's heart was in it. He could be promoted to become an elite instructor for the Bajorans and have him as a recurring character that way.

Tony Todd is just such an exquisite actor and Kurn is such a good character (I still think back to his TNG intro, lol) it's a real pity they didn't have him as a recurring character and it'd be great to see him finally win his rehabilitation via Martok. The mind-wipe escape hatch plot device was just such a horribly poor send off for him.

10. Jono

No, it was Dax who suggested it.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Dax suggested it, and Worf talked the matter with Odo, who agreed to it, but reminded Worf "you're now in my debt, and I collect on my debts."

12. Mr. Laser Beam

They should have had Kurn become an instructor at the Bajoran military academy. He'd whip 'em into shape PDQ.

13. Paradise City

Kurn dud say that his fate was is Worf's hands IIRC.

14. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

There was definitely that throwaway line in "Firstborn" that implied Kurn had a family. My in-universe guess is that when Kurn lost it all, they probably left him as well, and when he went to Worf he had nothing and no one left. I doubt they were killed/murdered, though. Klingons are violent but they have a code they live by as well.

In reality, I think as a whole, when the writers/producers decided to bring Worf to DS9, they didn't want to deal with his "baggage." It was the early days of the internet so I don't they thought we would piece it together... but I definitely did. They established certain things about his character in TNG that didn't seem to fit what they needed from Worf on DS9 so they dismissed it.

Like with Alexander... by the end of TNG it was established that Worf was working on his relationship with his son and things were much better. He even adamantly refused the idea of Alexander not living with him ("Firstborn"). Yet when DS9 starts, for some mysterious reason they are estranged and he lives with his parents, the same people Worf said were too old to care for him back on TNG. My guess is that because they already had a single dad on the station, they didn't want another one. But then when Worf was about to get married they couldn't keep ignoring his son, so they brought him back in a way that fit the plot more than it fit the character. I personally think Alexander running away to Starfleet would have been more of a fit for his character.