What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Played some Final Fantasy Explorers yesterday and took down a Red Dragon. Quite the challenge.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I finished Far Cry 5, which I like less and less, and while I was waiting for my next rental game I tried a few others. Xcom 2 (PS+ free game), I like it but I suck at it. The Turing Test (Games with Gold), it's like Portal without portals or GLaDOS, enjoying it so far. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Game Pass) Can't get the hang of it and not enjoying it. I also started Red Faction Armageddon (backwards compatible X360) which I forgot was this much fun, especially with Mr. Toots.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, after Far Cry 5 I went back to the only numbered entry I hadn't played: Far Cry 2.

It's interesting going back and one of the first things I found out was stealth doesn't work so well. I tried sneaking up on a baddie with a machete and immediately every thug in the area had a bead on my ass. That's not to say there isn't stealth and hiding but it's kind of a one at at time thing, you can't take out a series of guys undetected in this one. There's a couple of silenced weapons but a silenced sniper rifle carries five shots so you probably aren't going to clear an outpost with them. However, silently moving in and setting up an incredible RPG shot is quite satisfying.

The next thing that is hard to return to is the lack of *climbing*. FarCryGuy feels like he has the vertical leap as DoomGuy so don't think you will get over any obstacle more than a foot tall. And not so much open world as interconnected open regions.

It's interesting how pure this one is in terms of gameplay though. No mini maps or even crosshairs by default, only one item to collect, and so on. No humor, no wacky stuff, you are a mercenary in a wartorn hellhole in Africa and it's all very Heart of Darkness. However, it isn't real preachy about it, you just do a lot of shady shit and it's on you how to interpret it for the most part. It is grindy though and it is just downright *mean* sometimes. Travel is a *bitch*, many times getting from A to B is harder than the actual mission itself.

The thing about the lack of humor and out there stuff does kind of keep it from feeling like a true Far Cry game. The fidelity of the African environment makes up for it a little bit and helps to keep it from being too Call of Duty or whatever.

And while it's lacking in some newer mechanics the physics are incredible and hold up really well on modern systems with everything cranked (though I had to lock it to 60fps to keep it from flaking out). It even had the beginning of the buddy system though it was mainly used for revivals, they don't work with you side-by-side.

4. Uncle_Lou

Uncle_Lou Lieutenant Red Shirt

:D
    [​IMG]

ItIsGreen likes this.
  5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Almost finished Beyond: Two Souls on PS4.

David Cage is a fucking hack, I am sorry to say.

Bob The Skutter likes this.
  6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm glad to see narrative experimentation but they're not really good games.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

A little late to the party on this one, but playing Fallout 4 on the PS4.

8. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

We can be fashionably late together :beer:

9. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd Captain Captain

World of Warships
    Ashes of the Singularity

oldschool:
    Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (DOS)
    Golden Axe II (Sega Genesis).

10. Owain Taggart

Sounds like a plan! I'm still quite early into it, having just finished helping Sanctuary rebuild. :) I think I'm heading to Templar's Hill next.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to decide if I should get the Assassin's Creed: Syndicate or Batman: Arkham Knight DLC missions to play next. Any opinions on which are better? I love both games, so it's hard to just go by which main game I liked better.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Syndicate is a awesome game. The combat makes you feel like a badass. Never tried the DLC for AC but the Batman one wasn't worth it IMO.

13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was hurting for something to play over the weekend and decided to hop into Alpha Protocol on a whim, only to realize that I lost all my saves for it the last time my C drive died. Gave me a perfect excuse to replay it! The gameplay is janky as all get-out, the animations are laughable, but damn me if it doesn't have great choices and consequences and memorable characters, which is why I keep coming back to it. Finished the recruit playthrough tonight, now to replay on veteran and be awesome right from the get go!

SPCTRE likes this.
  14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if they patched the Syndicate DLC yet, but the last time I played the Jack the Ripper DLC (about two years ago), whenever you would get into the horse and carriage, the frame rate would drop to about two frames per second. It was so bad I couldn't even finish it. Which is a shame, because I loved Syndicate.

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep meaning to finish this. One day, perhaps.:(

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up my replay of Tomb Raider this morning, with 85%. I got all of the relics and documents, but I missed quite a few GPS caches, challenges, and a few tombs.

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Started the second DLC pack for AC Origins.

18. Owain Taggart

On PC, I'm playing West of Loathing. Anyone remember Kingdom of Loathing? This is a spinoff of sorts set in the Old West. It's a lot of silly fun.

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have just started playing Fallout New Vegas on the Xbox, yesterday. lol

ItIsGreen likes this.
  20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Watch Dogs and the DLC Bad Blood.
    Then I played The Turing Test, the last episode of Life is Strange and Firewatch.
    I've now started the campaign on Titanfall 2.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018