What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Grabbed a digital download for The Secret World.

Anyone else on the BBS playing this?

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently started Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, which I got for Christmas.

3. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Got two games for Christmas: Super Paper Mario (Wii) and Final Fantasy XIII-2 (XBox).

I'm almost finished with Super Paper Mario - I've completed the main story and now am just finishing up the collection and bonus dungeon.

Hopefully I'll start in on FF13-2 soon. I greatly enjoyed FF13 so I'm hoping the sequel is good too. I've heard mixed reviews but then again I heard the same about FF13 and I loved it to death. Also as someone who greatly enjoyed FF10-2 where most didn't, I have high hopes that the sequel will be up my alley. I like new combat schemes as long as they are fun and easy to use. FF12 was a nightmare in that regard. Good idea but poor execution.

4. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye. That it is. I bought Spec Ops: The Line during the holiday sale on Amazon. It was $10 for Spec Ops and both of the Bioshock games. Fantastic game.

Now that I've had a break from the Assassin's Creed games, I'm probably going to get back into 3. I'm somewhere in sequence 2 or 3. It's probably heretical, but I wasn't as fond as Ezio as I was expecting. I love the character and his story arc in AC2, but didn't care so much about it in Brotherhood. Rome and the Desmond parts of the story were great, though. Maybe if I had a year to wait in between games I would have liked them more, but I was feeling a bit fatigued with the Ezio story by the time I got into Revelations.

3 is a nice change of pace so far, at least for character and setting. I've read from the comments in the other thread that Conner isn't as interesting. Altair wasn't as interesting as Ezio, but I still liked his character. I wouldn't mind if they continue jumping around with new characters and eras in the animus from game to game.

5. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Been jumping back and forth between Black Ops 2, Arkham City GOTY, and Madden 13

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Splitting my time between BF3, Tekkit, XCOM and Star Trek Online at the moment.

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Now that I'm done with Spec Ops and Split/Second, I might go back to Okami HD. I also need to start The Unfinished Swan.

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Theatrythm Final Fantasy....its freaking addictive

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Batman AC, now onto Skyrim dlc, dawnguard and heathfire.

10. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

Just got this a couple days ago. I can't stop playing! Such a fun way to experience Final Fantasy.

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

not doing too ell in the chaos shrine, though, only unlocked Minwu and Cid

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Started replaying Arkham City today. I've been in a Batman mood for several weeks. I still prefer Asylum over City, but this game is still a ton of fun. I can't wait for the next installment, though I've heard it's not going to be a continuation of this story, which kind of bums me out.

13. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I am in the final stages of Psychonauts. I came to this rather late. I tried the demo years ago, wrote it off as a platformer (not my sort of game) with an interesting art style and didn't play it again.

I picked it up in a Humble Bundle and just as I did with Bastion, which was also in that Bundle (best Bundle ever!), found that my first impressions were way off.

Yes, it's a platformer, but it's an incredibly inventive, clever, surprising, touching and funny platformer. The art, dialogue and remarkable settings (from a board game to a Japanese horror film spoof to a conspiracy theorist's mind) make for an amazing experience. It's also possible to find a heck of a lot of extras if you go off the beaten path - all sorts of bonus cutscenes, extra dialogue and collectable objects.

The only downside is the sharp leap in difficulty in the final stages. After nearly being driven mad by the accursed confusion rats, now the infamous Meat Circus level is certain to result in a smashed controller - and this is apparently after it was made a lot easier in a patch!

Still well and truly worth it overall, even for someone who normally wouldn't play a platformer.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, it sucked. $5 wasted, but that's not too bad. On the bright side I've finally discovered what turns me off from the genre.

I love the idea of WRPGs being about a party of adventurers exploring a fantasy land and I do love almost every WRPG that I play for the first few hours, but then I end up quitting in frustration. The problem is that I despise character customization, leveling up, and loot. At the early stages of the game you don't have to worry about this too much, but after a few hours you have to manage your inventory, invest skill points, and other boring stuff that is kinda inherent to RPGs that I don't like. If there was a WRPG where these RPG elements were streamlined to the same extent as they are in JRPGs so that the focus is on the plot/exploration rather than the loot/leveling I think I would enjoy it. Alas...

So instead of Icewind Dale I started playing the original Final Fantasy for the PSP. Way too many random battles, but it's still pretty fun. I've only ever made it to the Marsh Cave on the NES, so most of the game will be completely new to me.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Final Fantasy is a game I may download on my Wii after I finish 13.

Speaking of 13, I gather I'm about halfway through it, and I love it to death. Yes it's linear (so far), but the story and battle system more than make up for it. In fact I think this is one of the best battle systems I've ever seen. It's different from the early Final Fantasy games, but only in the way you approach the battle, I love that rather than focusing on who's doing what, you're focusing on keeping your characters healthy and what battle formation is the best one to use. The paradigm system really ups the strategy, in my eyes.

16. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

At the moment I'm beasting Far Cry 3, dipping in and out of The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and The Blackwell Saga (cracking series of indie adventure games and cheap as hell on Steam - if you have any nostalgia for 90s point and clicks, do yourself a favour and check them out)

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked up a lot of games on the steam sale a while back, and have plowed through a few since. Bastion was surprisingly fun (a mix of things that shouldn't work well together - cheery old school graphics and weary grizzled narration - working well together), and Spec Ops: The Line was... unsettling. Bothered me a bit that a game set in Dubai focuses almost entirely on American characters, but that's part of its Heart of Darkness-inspired heritage - and the rest of it came off as a kind of angrily subversive take on the generic hero fantasy plot of a shooter. Quite unsettling and effective a gaming experience.

Pretty much my every other waking moment is Mark of the Ninja, though.

And hey, I got the X Series Box for 9.99! Now I just need a few economics degrees and I'll be able to understand how to play one of these bloody games...

A lot of WRPGs - and honestly, my favourites - have a heavy emphasis on plot. Most everything put out by BioWare, and the better recieved Obsidian Entertainment titles are indicative of this. I play their games pretty exclusively for the plot, and they're generally pretty good at providing games where I feel like I have impacted the plot in a meaningful way. There's also WRPGS that indulge heavily in exploration - that's usually Bethesda's thing what with Skyrim and Fallout 3 - but besides MMOs like Warcraft it's not a focus that appeals to me.

Hell, if anything, in Mass Effect 2 BioWare dropped most of the conventional RPG mechanics and honestly it was a better game mechanically than the often confused first entry in the series.

My issue with JRPGs... well on the one hand they're virtually exclusively console games and I'm a PC gamer, but also because the plots seem invariably terrible to an outsider from the genre. First and foremost I like RPGs with stories I like, so I stick to my comfort zone.

18. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

As per usual I got the latest installment of Call of Duty and as usual it was entertaining in its over the top action and fast paced campaign. I really enjoyed the fact that they tried to do something different in CoD by adding choices that result in different endings. Also, the millimeter scanner is awesome.

I also started Far Cry 3 and it is great so far. I like being able to customize weapons now and all the collectibles to find. I prefer this kind of sand box play to the Elder Scrolls kind where it seems like there is too much to do. Too many quests and too much to collect. Far Cry 2 and 3 strike a balance of open exploration and a manageable amount of missions and collectibles.

19. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kerbal Space Program. I have to say, I'm completely hooked.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's how I feel too. When I'm in the mood for an RPG I'm only truly interested in the story and characters. When I was younger RPGs used to be my favourite genre, but with a job I just don't have the patience to deal with the terrible pacing and inevitable padding. I have at most 1-2 hours to play games in the evening, so I want to accomplish more in an evening than configuring my party's equipment and killing some rats in the bar's basement. If that's all I do I feel like I wasted my whole night.