What DON’T you like about the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Nenya, Aug 25, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are several of those. And I deliberately avoid them far more than with Lower Decks.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

they frequently offer a free month. That’s what I am on this month. And if you plan to cancel after your binge watch means you are not a Discovery fan (which starts after LDS ends) or you plan to binge watch that one later.

3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Does it matter who it is who mocks people?

4. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When comparing to a certain politician *nudge nudge* Yes, it does. The optics are kind of all there is in that situation.

5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I might've agreed 4 or 5 years ago...maybe even 1 or 2 years ago...now I'm with Khan. Technology may advance, but mankind has changed very little.

BillJ and Farscape One like this.
  6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Um, no. There's a LOT about humanity that's changed in that time period if you look at the world as a whole. There's probably some regions where things haven't changed much, but overall I think we've come pretty far.

7. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

it's just, sometimes, we like to regress a little bit for 70 or 80 years

8. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing I don't like only started cropping up in episode 3 and 4 and that's I feel like the premise is being watered down a bit. The senior staff is featured almost TOO much and the lower decks crew interacts with them so much to the point where it doesn't feel like there's much of a "we're here" and "they're there."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Tough to play the lower decks gang as the heroes if they don’t have “villains” to play off of.

10. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just don't think they need to do it every single week.

11. fireproof78

Indeed, yes. It is part of the framing device of the whole series. Somewhat predictable of comedies nowadays.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those interactions came mostly as a by-product of the fact that in episode 3 Mariner was assigned an away team with Ransom and in episode 4 Mariner was herself promoted to being a senior officer.
    Besides, even the lowliest peon in an organization doesn't go a week with zero interaction with someone from senior management anyway. And as lot as there are senior officers in the main cast, they're going to get worked into every episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  13. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Human nature doesn’t change very much, but human behavior changes quite a lot, and quite rapidly.

14. Sarcastic Vulcan Salute

Sarcastic Vulcan Salute Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know if they have said how many people serve on the Cerritos. But it seems like there should be a layer of management between Mariner/Boimler and Freeman/Ransom.

Ogrebear likes this.
  15. Sarcastic Vulcan Salute

Sarcastic Vulcan Salute Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The consensus on what "human nature" might mean has changed quite a bit, which changes human behavior, and what is thought of as "human nature."

In the 17th century, it would have been commonplace to think of non-whites as inherently inferior to whites, women as inherently inferior to men, non-Christians as inherently inferior to Christians, so on and so forth. And while those ways of thinking still exist, the plurality of people know at a minimum things are not so black and white.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I tend to agree with DS9 on this point, as long as we have creature comforts, we'll mostly act non-violently. When those comforts go away, the gloves come off. I don't think we've honestly come all that far in who we are.

CRM-114 and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. fireproof78

I think humanity has a base nature, to survive, and a desire to be in relationship. The first is essential in terms of meeting basic needs and humans are actually making progress in that area.

But, the other idea of being in relationship is one where more harm can be done due to misunderstanding than anything else. We are only just beginning to understand what that need is.

18. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

How dare you call him "lesser"

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the ONE thing I don't like about the show is that it's just trying to be a silly, referential slice of Star Trek joy and there are waaaaay too many "fans" in the audience who are wrapped around the "but if this is canon....xyz shouldn't be happening/acting that way/whatever" axle.

It's one thing if the humor or stories fall flat...but to get oneself twisted up over how "REEL STARFLEET OCIFERS WOOD NEVAR AXE LIKE THIS!!" seems....well...I don't even know.

Man, talk about Thieves of Joy.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/0d/6b/17/0d6b17a518fd88e6ba2051d7bd72348e--you-are-live.jpg

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this counts, but I love to hate Commander Ransom. Huge asshole. Of course I'm having flashbacks to when I was a teenager and working at Toys R Us. The Assistant Manager there was just like him. God, I hated him...

... and now I hope Mariner kicks his, I mean Ransom's ass.

BillJ likes this.