What do you think would have happened to Worf if Tasha Yar never left the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jayson1, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never understood why Wesley wasn't used more in engineering than being used at the conn. His intelligence would seem to be better used on engineering problems instead of just piloting the ship where it's so easy even a non-talking extra can do it. :)
    I think it also would have been more intresting to basically see him as Geordi's glorified assitiant that would allow Geordi to have someone to bounch idea's with.

Jason

Markonian and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Geniuses invent new stuff, or solve the unsolvable.

Engineers on the other hand, make sure that everything runs to specifications, following the manual.

There's no reason an engineer can't be a genius.

Unless there's an unsolvable problem in their face, there's no contribution that Wes can bring to engineering that any other qualified functionary couldn't.

Markonian likes this.
  3. Jayson1

That's true but I would think Wesley would feel more challenged dealing with engineering issue's as oposed just making course corrections at the helm. Plus I was thinking more a long the lines of how it would effect the show. Worf could take over helm if Yar stayed and Wesley would give Geordi a series regular he can talk to down in engineering. Which IMO better than having your entire cast all on the bridge all the time.

Jason

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Either Wes was being taught/trained to be a Starfleet Officer, or he was cheap labour being used so that others could get a day off when they really needed it. I liked wigging out when the eldest daughter from the Cosby Show was playing operations.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. marlboro

marlboro Guest

The original cast of TNG was too large, imo. Moving Tasha (and eventually Wesley) out of the way lead to more room to focus on the stronger characters and the show improved as a result.

Troi should have gotten the ax too, I think. Guinan's occasional appearances were sufficient to provide "counseling" for the crew.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

'Yesterdays Enterprise' would have ended differently.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Worf would have still gotten more and more screen time. He may have had a very different career trajectory, but they would have given more stories to the actor with more presence.

If they had gotten rid of both Troi and Tasha they would have added a new female castmember. No way they would have run six years with only one woman in the cast.

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Troi? No, the writers often didn't know what to do with her but she had a purpose, Riker as a character was useless and could have been removed at any time without changing the show much. Troi could then have doubled as the first officer giving her a reason to be in the bridge.

9. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sela was the absolute worst guest-character on TNG.

Worf'sParmach likes this.
  10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm...

Given that Picard was apparently a bit of a father figure to Yar, I might have found it interesting if, especially post "Q Who" when the galaxy suddenly became a far more threatening place, Picard's more pacifistic approach to interstellar relations began to increasingly conflict with Yar's more militant approach, a product of her Turkana IV horrific lifestyle.

"Legacy" could still have happened, though obviously with more Yar focus and less Data. Have Yar come to believe that Ishara may have changed, only to find out she hasn't. Or have Yar distrustful the whole time, though perhaps it's a bit of a trope to do "sisters reunite only to have it end in an unresolvable conflict". Or TNG could have gone unexpectedly dark and forced Yar to have to kill Ishara...or even vice-versa (better than getting killed by an oil slick!).

Especially if the Maquis could have been brought into TNG earlier than S7, I would have found it fascinating if Yar had increasingly sympathized with and ultimately gone over to them. Like the Ro arc, but spread out over 1-2 seasons rather than being focused into a single episode. May have even paved the way for her to appear on DS9 (or even VOY?) in some capacity.

11. Tundra Saint

Tundra Saint Lieutenant Red Shirt

He still might have gotten beaten up every other week to show how dangerous the new aliens were.

TheAdmiralty likes this.
  12. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

Most intense PE class ever.

13. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think he would have stayed a 2nd-tier character like O'Brien. I remember reading somewhere that Roddenberry wanted to show how different this new show was by having an old Federation enemy just casually working on the bridge like it was no big deal. Dorn isn't even in some of the earliest cast photos. I think Denise Crosby's exit was the best that that ever happened to Michael Dorn.

Original TNG Writer's Guide, he's not even a main character: http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_...ion/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/publicity/season1/cast_s1variant2.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...l_progressive,q_80,w_800/18lpvz8jq6bskjpg.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...l_progressive,q_80,w_800/18lpvz8jsosojjpg.jpg

14. Jayson1

Actually I think Roddenberry was against Worf but Robert Justman was able to convince him to go with the character.
    What I wonder is how Maurice Hurley would have handled the Yar and Worf characters in season 2 plus I'm not sure if Pulaski would have been brought in because Yar could give you conflict but at the same time McFadden proably would have still been fired because Hurley hated the actress. So would that set up a Doctor Worf in season 2?:p

Jason

15. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Maybe we would have had a revolving door of Chief Medical Officer's - like the multiple Chief Engineer's of Season One?