What do you think the status of Trek will be in 2066 ?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by TrickyDickie, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2017-2021: Star Trek: Discovery
    2021-2029: Star Trek: Final Flight
    2035: Star Trek (reboot)
    2039-2044: Trek
    2042-2043: Pre-Trek
    2046-2049: Trek Too
    2047: Trek After Dark
    2049-2052: Trek (revival)
    2052-2057: Amazon Disney Presents: Sci-Fi Anthology (Star Trek-related programming heavily featured)
    2059-2064: スタートレック

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don’t think television will exist much longer, Data said so in The Neutral Zone.

After another fifty years, the whole body of work will have been remastered with new effects, new scenes filmed, and existing ones changed to remove all continuity errors.

Sisko will be inserted in to Trouble with Tribbles, Riker will disappear to the holodeck during the Pegasus crisis.

N-121973 and TheQman like this.
  3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Good gods I hope not!

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The upside is "Ready Player One" becomes real and everyone can just go play "Star Trek" or fight the Death Star with the Enterprise or pretend to be a Klingon warrior and go fight some Orks or something.

Jason

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt sci-fi entertainment will be high on the priorities of the radioactive degenerate remnants of man.

Jayson1 and BillJ like this.
  6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I'm not entirely certain we'll have television as we know it by 2066, which might mean the death nail for many franchises.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you think the status of Trek will be in 2066 ?

STAR TREK will likely have fallen into an even deeper rut than it did when -Enterprise- ended its truncated run. The franchise will have been run into the ground. Perhaps the arrival of 2066 will spark interest in returning to the series to see if audiences might warm up to it. But for the first time since TOS began, STAR TREK may actually be in a position to start fresh ... to begin anew ... and not be concerned about its being a "property" or about its useless reputation as being, supposedly, "progressive." Its main concern might end up being to entertain for its own sake. And about time, too ...

8. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    2066 will be the time of the "Great Reawakening". Copyrights will have expired and 100+ year old men and women will be leaving their inheritance to their grandchildren with the expressed requirement to use the money to make Star Trek fan films.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Well seeing how every show from previous decades is being brought back or rebooted, by 2066 I suspect they'll be on their 18th incarnation of Trek that won't resemble the original in any way, except maybe a couple of character names.

10. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And those associated with the show will insist that it's set in the "prime universe."
    It might be some form of total sensory immersion that is sent directly to the synapses of your brain, but I believe that people will still want to experience "shows."

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Jayson1 and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  11. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

we'll all still be debating if shatner is going to be in the next movie

N-121973, Ovation, Greg Cox and 4 others like this.
  12. Bry_Sinclair

I envision a Futurama-style head in a jar scenario :biggrin:

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quentin Tarantino is a self-described fan of William Shatner, so old Bill might get a part in a future Star trek movie.

Then he'll be only 46 years from the 2066 Star Trek, instead of 72 years from the time of Generations.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It will be an old curiosity.

BillJ likes this.
  15. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Whatever the current state of media, people will still enjoy past presentations. For example, people still read books to-day, even though that may seem antiquated. In 2066+, people will still enjoy viewing/hearing certain iconic television shows. Entertainment will always be entertaining to someone. Tom Paris loved his old television set!

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

As I said, an old curiosity. People still watch silent movies.

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek copyright expires, per episode, beginning in 2061 (for The Man Trap), and extending to 2113 (for Will You Take My Hand?) for corporate-authored works. This is, of course, subject to change, as when Man Trap was made, it's copyright was set to expire in 2022 (28 years from publication, with an additional 28 years if renewed), but this was extended in 1976 to 75 years (2041) and in 1998 to 95 years (2061).

But... just because TOS is free-to-view in the 2060s everywhere, doesn't mean the concepts and music are free-to-use and adapt. Trademark laws are infinite as long as an entity (CBS or successor) continues to use and litigate them. If there is a Great Reawakening in the 2060s following PD of some Star Trek, then an entity will form to contest the use of Star Trek trademarks (like Star Trek itself) in any derivative works.

This is still new ground in our time, due to all the copyright extensions beginning in 1976, but will be well-paved and dealt with by the 2060s. Fan films (or professional Star Trek films and TV a la Sherlock Holmes) will not be easy to make in that time, due in part to the large canon that extends over fifty years (and possibly to that day) and most of it avoided.

18. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I somehow doubt that Eldred v. Ashcroft will be the final word on the subject by the time 2061 comes around.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  19. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Well, "Awakening" could mean that the eyelids are beginning to open, but we can't move our feet yet. :)

20. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

It's gonna be remembered as a flash in the pan like Nirvana.