What do you think the final day of the Trekbbs will be like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A poster of refined taste, evidently.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^ thank you, kind sir [​IMG]

well, sortof. I was there in 2001/2002 (I left in 2002 and re-registered in - *checks profile* - goodness! 2011! Is it that long already?!) but mostly lurking. I disapproved of the rough tone that prevailed there. MISC is so much nicer :)
    It's presumably a matter of character - that mix of age / generation / education / cultural and social background that defines us. I'm hippie era plus gentry and thus was raised extremely courteous, pacifist, and in the unshakable conviction that it is always possible to have a polite and matter-of-fact discussion. A difference in opinion doesn't justify rudeness.
    A second reason for me staying out of there back then was that there are few things I enjoy more than an intellectual duel. But since one must never attack the unarmed...
    Maybe (very likely, even) TNZ is different nowadays but to be honest, I don't feel any desire to even lurk there. My life is saturated with problems as it is and as if that wasn't enough already I have recently acquired a RL stalker. Atm I live on adrenaline and gallows humour.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

TNZ is literally an entirely different forum than the one it was back then when I believe (this was before my time) it was divided into two forums, one a no-holds-barred forum and the other a more moderated forum like Misc. Also, the more extreme characters from that time left to go form their own spin-off board, so with rare exception it's not even the same people anymore.

It's fine if you don't want to visit there, and I'm not trying to get you to go, but it's not really refraining from rudeness to make public assumptions about people's intelligence and attitudes based on impressions of completely different people from a completely different forum that are outdated by sixteen years.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew I should have piut it in italics as it could be so easily overlooked. Please re-read what I said about the duels. I refered to the intellectual abilities of the clientel *back then*. I couldn't possibly judge on the current one, not having seen them.

I'm a scientist by profession and by inclination (in fact, profession is directly derived from vocation in German: Beruf / Berufung. We believe that both can't be seperated). You may rely on me never judging without first checking out facts - or at least several different opinions - very carefully. You wouldn't catch me dead jumping to conclusions without sufficient data to back them, it's as unscientific as it is unethical.

The way you described the current TNZ made me curious, though. I think I'll go lurking there a bit as soon as I have a little time. =)

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No, I saw it, but then you followed it by leaving open the possibility that it's still like that. It's not a big deal, though.

6. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Morbid fantasy.

7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It will be two days exactly before a giant meteor hits the Earth...

One good thing about it is that you can eat anything you want... you won't get fat...

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be bought out by some financial interest, who will then change the tone... and most of the veterans will drop off. There will be a bunch caught in the middle of "should I stay or should I go.," and others who will cling to try keeping the vibe as it was. But it won't work. It'll change. People will leave. But new people will come around. And the veterans, who by chance stop over once in a while to see what's happening out of curiosity, will be disgusted and move on. And that... will be the end of TBBS as we know it now.

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I pictured something more along the lines of Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Gary7 likes this.
  10. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disney?

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If it's anything like most other days in The TrekBBS some of us will be bragging about wearing assless chaps, several of us will be drunk posting, two trolls will be trying to trigger the liberal snowflakes and I'll be trying to explain why I was found naked and holding a bottle of cooking oil in the parking lot of a Denny's.

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, Business as usual.

13. cooleddie74

They wanted a Grand Slam breakfast. They got one.

14. Pondwater

A G
    A Grand Slam and a Thank you Ma’am. You really know how to show a lady a good time. :adore:

15. cooleddie74

When TBBS goes offline for the last time the final post will be something like: "Trip's STILL Not Dead."

16. Pondwater

Or “Computer, END program”.

Australis likes this.
  17. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It will be the day before the sun goes supernova...

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

19. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To answer the Question...

...Sad.....
    :weep:

But I would type not a word, watching everyone else digitaly losing their minds...

People say the darndest things when Death appears...and it's Highly Entertaining.
    :lol:

Death-Bed confessions, indeed....
    (Fact: We have acquaintances across the Globe, whom we will never meet, but are emotionally
    invested in....How Cool!...)

And then PM's from all the MODs directing their favs to their own domains...

To Subjectcate Us once again...
    .....IN the NAME of Star Trek.....

.....Then I'll go to Dune.com.......

:whistle: :shrug: ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  20. cooleddie74

However the board ends my last post will be something along the lines of: "The jewels are inside the..."