What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Ha.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Sums up everything I think perfectly!

Not including SFA, I think it's possible someone in the future (no pun intended) will go back there, but I think it would only be for one series. Not the entire franchise.

Commander Troi and Grendelsbayne like this.
  3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You've had pneumonia for a month? Get the hell to a hospital, dude! :(

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If you are changing major events in the universe, then it is by definition an altered universe.

5. Lord Garth

Hot Rod will use the power of the Matrix to conquer his pneumonia and become Rodimus Prime.

6. HotRod

Been there, done that. Started as acute bronchitis before progressing to "Walking Pneumonia." A term I think they just made up for people who can't afford to take multiple weeks off from work.

[​IMG]
    Till all are one.

BillJ, Commander Troi and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I'm guessing SFA will be in the DIS era. I, personally, would love to see more in that Far Future. I'd like to continue seeing the rebuilding of the Federation, the "integration" (or lack of) of the Orions, and see some new stuff.

8. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, what would make the 23rd and 24th century more interesting than later centuries?

It may be because, in Rasmussen's words (even though he was a fake future historian), 22nd-24th centuries are early interstellar history (at least, from humanity's perspective). There's still an awesome lot to be discovered. Possibly the centuries that followed were much more regulated, much 'tamer'.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet Academy is planning to be there. I think it has a lot of potential, and could become more extragalactic in their exploration. I think Discovery Season 5 could set the stage for other options.
    I would love to see the rebuilding as well. That's my favorite type of story.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Actually, the era makes no difference. Whether its the 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, or 32nd century, there's little change in the Star Trek universe. I have little interest in watching a Starfleet Academy show whether it took place in the 24th century or the 32nd.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The first cadets in the Federation Starfleet Academy post-2161 might have made for a decent concept. The first teenagers who thrilled to the news reports of the missions of Earth Starfleet captains like Jonathan Archer and Erika Hernandez and some of whom were motivated into service by the Xindi attack or the Earth-Romulan War or both, together as they learn that the stories they heard about deep space were both true...and very, unsettlingly false. I'd give that show a shot. At least it's the beginning of the story and not 1,000 years into the future where every other piece of Trek lore has already been written into history books and databases.

Grendelsbayne and HotRod like this.
  12. Lord Garth

I'm the wrong person to ask. I want more of the 32nd Century above all, but I've tempered my expectations.

With the 25th Century, at least I don't know what's happening immediately next. And any developments won't feel like they're stepping on the toes of TOS.

If the Roddenberry Archive were doing the 23rd Century, I'd be all over it. I think they'd do it justice. <-- Controversial Opinion

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    Commander Troi likes this.
  13. Citiprime

Citiprime Captain Captain

Controversial opinion: I think the Starfleet Academy concept is fundamentally flawed, and part of the reason they've never been able to make it work over the past 30-ish years that it has been thrown around as a possible movie/TV series is that it requires contrived circumstances to put a bunch of cadets in the middle of big, dangerous compelling events.

It either has to center around a combination of:

1. Young teen CW drama stuff (i.e., love triangles, personal grudges, etc.), and the drama comes from the soap opera aspects.
    2. Young cadets uncovering a conspiracy within Starfleet Academy or Starfleet as a whole.
    3. Cadets being sent out to serve aboard starships and other posts (a la Nog aboard DS9), but at that point it becomes a more serious version of Lower Decks.

Moreover, what can you fundamentally do in the 32nd century that you can't in the 25th other than individual personal transporters, non-physically connected ship nacelles, and programmable matter? I could see a a sort of Andromeda-ish storyline of the Federation reestablishing contact with member worlds and rebuilding. I do hope they DON'T follow Discovery's model that every season needs to be about stopping some plot to destroy the galaxy/universe, and go more the Strange New Worlds route of individual episodes that might have bits and pieces that may build to something over a season.

Henoch and Farscape One like this.
  14. HotRod

THIS.

The Post-Romulan War/Birth of the Federation era has the potential to be the most interesting era of Star Trek, if only someone would make it.

I remain forever hopeful that we'll someday see it on the screen in some capacity. Maybe one of these upcoming TV movies could tackle the era.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  15. Lord Garth

I don't think the stakes of Starfleet Academy will be that high. At least not for most of its run. Why? Because if they save the day, they graduate and become Ensigns. End of series. As long as SFA continues as a series, they can't do that. Maybe when it ends, but not before.

Which means, yeah, the drama will come from love triangles, personal grudges, maybe they'll do something that gets them in trouble but it turns out they were right. Things like that.

I'm not too excited about SFA, despite it taking place in the 32nd Century, but I'll keep an open mind. Have to support things that break the traditional mold.

Though I don't understand why they think it'll appeal to young people, just because young people will be in it. I was college age when I was first posting here. I can tell you SFA wasn't what I wanted back then.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

Here's what Tawny Newsome had to say.

Tawny Newsome Says Starfleet Academy Series Is "A New Side of Star Trek" (msn.com)

"It's a new side of Starfleet. It's a new side of Star Trek, which I think you can infer from the title. We just haven't seen this exact area. And yeah, I think that we're just leaning into that... I can't say enough about the people in the room. Like, the team is maybe my favorite part of the job, because everyone is so so great. And I feel like I've just made such great friends in that room... Everyone is so fun. Our showrunners Alex Kurtzman and Naga Landau did such an incredible job of assembling just the best people on Earth. Everyone is nice. Everyone is fun. Everyone has a different set of skills. I love it. I think the audience is really gonna love this show. I really do."
    Doesn't sound very "End of the Universe!!! We have to save everything!!!!!" to me. I'm not getting that type of vibe off of this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    BillJ and Commander Troi like this.
  17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

We’d better see “the power of math” at some point.

1001001 likes this.
  18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I figured I'd just wait and watch it before I decide how good or bad it is.

Crazy, I know.

:lol:

19. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

THAT doesn't sound very Trekkie.

BillJ and 1001001 like this.
  20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'VE already boycotted it three times. What have YOU been doing?