What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

The question is, when Disco ends next year is any Star Trek going to be interested in Disco's Far Future setting? The reason that the 24th century became normalized was that there was TNG and two other shows (all running seven seasons and all under the same whatever-you-call-Berman's-title) set in that continuity.
Starfleet Academy is planning to be there. I think it has a lot of potential, and could become more extragalactic in their exploration. I think Discovery Season 5 could set the stage for other options.
I'm guessing SFA will be in the DIS era. I, personally, would love to see more in that Far Future. I'd like to continue seeing the rebuilding of the Federation, the "integration" (or lack of) of the Orions, and see some new stuff.
I would love to see the rebuilding as well. That's my favorite type of story.

So, what would make the 23rd and 24th century more interesting than later centuries?

It may be because, in Rasmussen's words (even though he was a fake future historian), 22nd-24th centuries are early interstellar history (at least, from humanity's perspective). There's still an awesome lot to be discovered. Possibly the centuries that followed were much more regulated, much 'tamer'.

Actually, the era makes no difference. Whether its the 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, or 32nd century, there's little change in the Star Trek universe. I have little interest in watching a Starfleet Academy show whether it took place in the 24th century or the 32nd.

The first cadets in the Federation Starfleet Academy post-2161 might have made for a decent concept. The first teenagers who thrilled to the news reports of the missions of Earth Starfleet captains like Jonathan Archer and Erika Hernandez and some of whom were motivated into service by the Xindi attack or the Earth-Romulan War or both, together as they learn that the stories they heard about deep space were both true...and very, unsettlingly false. I'd give that show a shot. At least it's the beginning of the story and not 1,000 years into the future where every other piece of Trek lore has already been written into history books and databases.

So, what would make the 23rd and 24th century more interesting than later centuries?

It may be because, in Rasmussen's words (even though he was a fake future historian), 22nd-24th centuries are early interstellar history (at least, from humanity's perspective). There's still an awesome lot to be discovered. Possibly the centuries that followed were much more regulated, much 'tamer'.
I'm the wrong person to ask. I want more of the 32nd Century above all, but I've tempered my expectations.

With the 25th Century, at least I don't know what's happening immediately next. And any developments won't feel like they're stepping on the toes of TOS.

If the Roddenberry Archive were doing the 23rd Century, I'd be all over it. I think they'd do it justice. <-- Controversial Opinion

Last edited:
Controversial opinion: I think the Starfleet Academy concept is fundamentally flawed, and part of the reason they've never been able to make it work over the past 30-ish years that it has been thrown around as a possible movie/TV series is that it requires contrived circumstances to put a bunch of cadets in the middle of big, dangerous compelling events.

It either has to center around a combination of:

1. Young teen CW drama stuff (i.e., love triangles, personal grudges, etc.), and the drama comes from the soap opera aspects.
2. Young cadets uncovering a conspiracy within Starfleet Academy or Starfleet as a whole.
3. Cadets being sent out to serve aboard starships and other posts (a la Nog aboard DS9), but at that point it becomes a more serious version of Lower Decks.

Moreover, what can you fundamentally do in the 32nd century that you can't in the 25th other than individual personal transporters, non-physically connected ship nacelles, and programmable matter? I could see a a sort of Andromeda-ish storyline of the Federation reestablishing contact with member worlds and rebuilding. I do hope they DON'T follow Discovery's model that every season needs to be about stopping some plot to destroy the galaxy/universe, and go more the Strange New Worlds route of individual episodes that might have bits and pieces that may build to something over a season.

The first cadets in the Federation Starfleet Academy post-2161 might have made for a decent concept. The first teenagers who thrilled to the news reports of the missions of Earth Starfleet captains like Jonathan Archer and Erika Hernandez and some of whom were motivated into service by the Xindi attack or the Earth-Romulan War or both, together as they learn that the stories they heard about deep space were both true...and very, unsettlingly false. I'd give that show a shot. At least it's the beginning of the story and not 1,000 years into the future where every other piece of Trek lore has already been written into history books and databases.
THIS.

The Post-Romulan War/Birth of the Federation era has the potential to be the most interesting era of Star Trek, if only someone would make it.

I remain forever hopeful that we'll someday see it on the screen in some capacity. Maybe one of these upcoming TV movies could tackle the era.

Controversial opinion: I think the Starfleet Academy concept is fundamentally flawed, and part of the reason they've never been able to make it work over the past 30-ish years that it has been thrown around as a possible movie/TV series is that it requires contrived circumstances to put a bunch of cadets in the middle of big, dangerous compelling events.

It either has to center around a combination of:

1. Young teen CW drama stuff (i.e., love triangles, personal grudges, etc.), and the drama comes from the soap opera aspects.
2. Young cadets uncovering a conspiracy within Starfleet Academy or Starfleet as a whole.
3. Cadets being sent out to serve aboard starships and other posts (a la Nog aboard DS9), but at that point it becomes a more serious version of Lower Decks.

Moreover, what can you fundamentally do in the 32nd century that you can't in the 25th other than individual personal transporters, non-physically connected ship nacelles, and programmable matter? I could see a a sort of Andromeda-ish storyline of the Federation reestablishing contact with member worlds and rebuilding. I do hope they DON'T follow Discovery's model that every season needs to be about stopping some plot to destroy the galaxy/universe, and go more the Strange New Worlds route of individual episodes that might have bits and pieces that may build to something over a season.
I don't think the stakes of Starfleet Academy will be that high. At least not for most of its run. Why? Because if they save the day, they graduate and become Ensigns. End of series. As long as SFA continues as a series, they can't do that. Maybe when it ends, but not before.

Which means, yeah, the drama will come from love triangles, personal grudges, maybe they'll do something that gets them in trouble but it turns out they were right. Things like that.

I'm not too excited about SFA, despite it taking place in the 32nd Century, but I'll keep an open mind. Have to support things that break the traditional mold.

Though I don't understand why they think it'll appeal to young people, just because young people will be in it. I was college age when I was first posting here. I can tell you SFA wasn't what I wanted back then.

Here's what Tawny Newsome had to say.

Tawny Newsome Says Starfleet Academy Series Is "A New Side of Star Trek" (msn.com)

"It's a new side of Starfleet. It's a new side of Star Trek, which I think you can infer from the title. We just haven't seen this exact area. And yeah, I think that we're just leaning into that... I can't say enough about the people in the room. Like, the team is maybe my favorite part of the job, because everyone is so so great. And I feel like I've just made such great friends in that room... Everyone is so fun. Our showrunners Alex Kurtzman and Naga Landau did such an incredible job of assembling just the best people on Earth. Everyone is nice. Everyone is fun. Everyone has a different set of skills. I love it. I think the audience is really gonna love this show. I really do."
Doesn't sound very "End of the Universe!!! We have to save everything!!!!!" to me. I'm not getting that type of vibe off of this.

Last edited:
Controversial opinion: I think the Starfleet Academy concept is fundamentally flawed,
Controversial opinion: I don't understand why this idea is more flawed than other Trek ideas. Interpersonal drama? Part of Star Trek. Dealing with corrupt leadership? Star Trek.

The approach is far more a coming of age story in Star Trek and how people would grow. That's something we have only seen in small bits.

But, I'm heavily biased. I've wanted an Academy series since I was 13. My favorite TNG episode is First Duty" and I read every Academy based book my library had.

Controversial opinion: I don't understand why this idea is more flawed than other Trek ideas. Interpersonal drama? Part of Star Trek. Dealing with corrupt leadership? Star Trek.
Because I think the framing limits what you can do. Your characters are going to be mostly centered at the Academy, not on strange new worlds, boldly going where no one has gone before. Therefore, the conflict and drama is probably going to be interpersonal about romantic relationships and family drama. That's fine. But it doesn't open up a lot of possibilities beyond that.

Beyond that, how many conspiracies within Starfleet are we going to do until it becomes redundant and stupid?

If you wanted to do coming-of-age, it would make more sense to me to do "Starfleet: Year One." Basically, follow a main character in their first year after graduating from the Academy and build a show and characters around them acclimating to being a Starfleet officer.

Your characters are going to be mostly centered at the Academy, Deep Space Nine, not on strange new worlds, boldly going where no one has gone before. Therefore, the conflict and drama is probably going to be interpersonal about romantic relationships and family drama. That's fine. But it doesn't open up a lot of possibilities beyond that.
I've heard that one before.

Beyond that, how many conspiracies within Starfleet are we going to do until it becomes redundant and stupid?
None more times.

If you wanted to do coming-of-age, it would make more sense to me to do "Starfleet: Year One." Basically, follow a main character in their first year after graduating from the Academy and build a show and characters around them acclimating to being a Starfleet officer.
It could be the part of the crew that isn't the command crew. The newbies. The nobodies. Kind of the "Lower Decks" if you will. :D

Your characters are going to be mostly centered at the Academy, not on strange new worlds, boldly going where no one has gone before. Th
Why?
We passed stupid a while ago.

That's fine. But it doesn't open up a lot of possibilities beyond that.
It doesn't need a lot.

It's a small idea. Explore that instead of bigger, more intense. Small stories are fine for me because the human element is the driving force.

I've heard that one before.
Except for the people at DS9 being commissioned officers with a wormhole and another quadrant of the galaxy to explore. Not cadets with limited authority, fulfilling limited roles, operating around the Academy.

Otherwise it's exactly the same.
It could be the part of the crew that isn't the command crew. The newbies. The nobodies. Kind of the "Lower Decks" if you will. :D
Exactly. It would be Lower Decks. Hence something that covers a lot of the same ground exact live-action and a little more serious.
Why would Starfleet send cadets out to explore strange new worlds and boldly go when by definition of being at the Academy Starfleet doesn't think they're ready yet?

It violates the very idea of the premise.

Why would Starfleet send cadets out to explore strange new worlds and boldly go when by definition of being at the Academy Starfleet doesn't think they're ready yet?

It violates the very idea of the premise.
Only in the limited premise you have created and insist must be the way an Academy series must be done.

Space Cadet did it well. Starship Troopers did it well. There are interesting stories to tell if the assumption isn't a very narrow premise.

Back