What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

It doesn't deserve respecting. It is a tool to be used.

Also, your reply to me as a quote tag messed up.
Well that's your controversial opinion. But anything that created that kind of lucrative fanbase does deserve respecting. Unless you are a low talent showrunner who resents having to ride on the coat tails of something they couldn't create on their own, and so disparages it.

Well that's your controversial opinion.
*Checks the thread* Yup, yes it is. :techman:

But anything that created that kind of lucrative fanbase does deserve respecting.
Why though? Star Trek has gone through long periods of ignoring, contradicting or just flat out denying it's status in various shows. If we take Roddenberry's own take TOS was no longer "Canon" but a dramatization of Kirk's logs that could be misinterpreted. TWOK was not canon because it was too militaristic. I am fairly confident that DS9 would be lambasted as well.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that Star Trek is a product. You can buy it or choose not to. That's not a matter of respect. That's a matter of deciding to show support with your dollars.

And to attempt to answer your other post, no I'm not taking a "passive aggressive dig." I am stating my observation of what I have seen interacting with fans over the past several decades. The tendency to block things out that don't fit in to the prescribed box. The tendency to demand things fit perfectly because of what was said in one specific episode. It doesn't come across as respecting but far more as micromanaging, and demanding it line up or suffer the consequences.

Yes, the owners of the IP have every right to do this. And us, as the consumers, can ignore it. By all means, ignore it. It's not about respect at least from where I sit. Because a fictional franchise doesn't deserve respect. It is an inanimate object. Respect belongs to people. Otherwise, we might as well go back to paying homage to the pope's hat, to borrow an instance from history.

Well that's your controversial opinion. But anything that created that kind of lucrative fanbase does deserve respecting. Unless you are a low talent showrunner who resents having to ride on the coat tails of something they couldn't create on their own, and so disparages it.

Mate, it is pretty well documented how far GR went to dissociate TNG from TOS and the rewrites to previous canon that came from that - surely if he was comfortable with moving things around to fit the needs of the story then so are those who came after him.

The shows all fit together 80-90% of the time so where is the disrespect? Where are people having it thrown in their faces?

End of the day this is entertainment and there will always be elements of tweaking to the needs of a story

Canon didn't create the Trek franchise.

Writers did. Starting with GR.

Canon is a tool, one of many, as well as being the hobgoblin of many an unimaginative mind.

I'm fine with SNW destroying the moral of TNG's Tin Man or having a peaceful first contact with Malcorians.

:p

The weirdest thing about VOY is I've never seen a show jettison its original premise so quickly.

I mean, I know it was mostly due to BTS conflict - that the showrunners wanted to try something new, but UPN was risk-averse, particularly after the somewhat mixed reaction to early DS9, and just wanted TNG 2.0. But it's shocking that they spent so much time setting up the Maquis - planting the seeds in TNG's Journey's End and Preemptive Strike, and a two-parter late in Season 2 of DS9 - only to basically completely neuter any Federation/Maquis conflict past the pilot of Voyager.

This is just the most extreme example, but there are of course others - like usually downplaying the idea that there were any issues which could be cause from being far from repair/resupply, and finding various ways to include Alpha/Beta quadrant plots over time rather than explore something new.

The need of the series to have "recurring" enemies like the Kazon was also pretty head-scratching, given the ship was generally speaking traveling in a straight line across tens of thousands of light years. Alien of the week made total sense under these circumstances. I really wish that VOY had done more to flesh out the secondary crew on the ship - added more people like the Wildmans and Vorik who we would see frequently, not not every week. But if anything, the show moved away from this over time.
Some of my favourite episodes are alien-of-the-weeks like Persistence of Vision, Scientific Method, Course: Oblivion, and Bliss.

Have we had an elimination game based on them?

I wouldn't have minded the other series do their own take on this. Picard not being able to taste wine or Earl Grey. Beverly's hair turns black.

Course: Oblivion is great! My only gripe being if I was getting married I'd certainly make use of the holodeck rather than the mess hall...

Can't recall how Garrett Wang felt about it but on Delta Flyers Robert Duncan McNeill really wasn't impressed by it which baffled me. That said, he also doesn't enjoy time travel stories which are my favourite so we must just have different tastes.

There are those who claim that "Broken Bow" contradicts what i said about Klingon first contact in that latter episode.

I don't think so. But also, as long as they pay me I don't care.:p
Exactly what I expected you to say :lol:

There are those who claim that "Broken Bow" contradicts what i said about Klingon first contact in that latter episode.

I don't think so. But also, as long as they pay me I don't care.:p

"Centuries ago, disastrous first contact", Klaang being shot by the first human he sees and 216 years are all the same thing. :cool:

Course: Oblivion is great! My only gripe being if I was getting married I'd certainly make use of the holodeck rather than the mess hall...

Can't recall how Garrett Wang felt about it but on Delta Flyers Robert Duncan McNeill really wasn't impressed by it which baffled me. That said, he also doesn't enjoy time travel stories which are my favourite so we must just have different tastes.
He said he wasn't emotionally invested in the fake crew..

With an entire galaxy's worh of planets and locales to simulate, I wouldn't choose Chicago for a honeymoon, either. Who knows what goes through the minds of the faux crew, they've clearly made odd decisions.

Voyager was a worthless exercise in crapping out more ST for no creative motivation whatsoever, so I find it rather odd that there's certain fans incapable of wrapping their heads around VOY never getting a movie or latter-day revival series.

I would argue we already have a semi-revival of Voyager with Prodigy and if Legacy ever comes around it will feel like one as well.

Voyager was a worthless exercise in crapping out more ST for no creative motivation whatsoever, so I find it rather odd that there's certain fans incapable of wrapping their heads around VOY never getting a movie or latter-day revival series.
Voyager's great when you don't consider its botched premise and focus instead on individual episodes a la TNG. Kinda like thinking of Picard as an anthology series.

Back