What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

In what situations would the absence of physical money, but the presence of money as information only bookkeeping, not work?

Uhura was "shopping" on K7 and offered to buy a tribble. Yet her uniform apparent had no pockets for cash.
Beverly was obviously buying merchadise that she was charging to "my account."

I could reel off the usual list, but you probably know it as well as I do.
What Uhura couldn't have used fingerprints or retina prints or just entered her account information in some other way.

I have a dual opinion about Phase II. On the one hand, I would've liked to have seen it. On the other hand, it would've come at the cost of the movies. No thanks. And it would be a show made in the '70s on a TV budget. As much as I'd love to see it (because I'm weird like that), I'd know I'd cringe at it at the same time.

"So the Seventies?" someone would ask. Yeah. :p
I am no great fan of the TOS movies for many reasons, characterization of the main characters being one. I would have liked to see a real continuation of TOS.

There were "credits" in TOS. People bought things. Space stations vendors charged credits. Vulcan traders and Harry Mudd made a living buying and selling things. Human miners worked hard in lonely environments. So the whole "no money" thing in post TOS series to me is just ridiculous.
No. See DS9, "In the Cards." They split the difference: no money needed on Earth, but the Federation still uses money. My post is in line with that. There is no contradiction in the use of credits both in the Federation and on Earth and what I wrote. None whatsoever.

Hehe, you want specifics.

Ok, how about... S03 E06 · Booby Trap.
Picture this, An ancient PRICELESS battle cruiser in amazing condition that has been drifting in space for 1,000 years. Guy blunders his way into a minefield, nearly gets destroyed by ancient tech, survives the situation he put himself and his crew in by an absolute miracle moon shot, is safe... now, he could put up beacons warning about the area and get Star Fleet to send in some engineers to disable the minefield.
F that! LOL! Pew. pew. Blow that shiz up! Blammo! :alienblush:
Maybe in the 32nd, but not with 24th Century, seeing how the Galaxy Class starship was utterly powerless and as you said, pulled off a miracle getting out....

S07 E15 · Lower Decks.
Big brain Picard couldn't simply give Star Fleet intelligence a call to source literally ANY ship for that Cardassian agent?

Worse still, Picard used his powers of weird psychological manipulation to send a promising officer to her death completely unnecessarily. Even worse, she was BJORAN, he sent an inexperienced officer with the amazing backstory that she's a terrorist of all things into what's effectively Nazi Germany. Wowzers.

What weird psychological manipulation?

It was urgent. They couldn't wait for someone to send a person, which would take time and possibly bring some suspicions.

No. See DS9, "In the Cards." They split the difference: no money needed on Earth, but the Federation still uses money. My post is in line with that. There is no contradiction in the use of credits both in the Federation and on Earth and what I wrote. None whatsoever.
Yeah, even bartering is a form of commerce. Few folks will do something for the sheer good of doing it. There's gotta be something a little extra thrown in.

The only real Trek is TOS and I don't mean the movies either. A couple of the animated series may be okay. And there are a few moments in the TOS movies that are okay. But Star Trek, to me, is TOS. Only TOS.
This was true, until a franchise was born with TNG.

There were "credits" in TOS. People bought things. Space stations vendors charged credits. Vulcan traders and Harry Mudd made a living buying and selling things. Human miners worked hard in lonely environments. So the whole "no money" thing in post TOS series to me is just ridiculous.

1. (Errand of Mercy?) The very next line, Kirk says/implies there are no Vulcan Merchants, because Vulcan is a member of the Federation, and the Federation does not use money. Spock counters "No dude, you're wrong."
2. Credits are used when Aliens conduct business with the Federation. K7 was on the edge of Federation Space, 90 percent of their business must have been with aliens.
3. Harry is an ex patriot, but only when he feel;s like it.
4. Selling Wives to men who have a whole planet to themselves, opposed to the crush of the homeworld where 80 billion are struggling to find air. The mining worlds could have declared independence, or never been part of the Federation, or the United Earth.

There’s nothing in TOS that says money wasn’t used on Earth.

What weird psychological manipulation?

It was urgent. They couldn't wait for someone to send a person, which would take time and possibly bring some suspicions.

He did the ol' battered girlfriend/boyfriend routine. Got her in his office and basically called her character into question, really broke her down made her feel worthless, made it quite clear that there's absolutely no way for her to create a life for herself on his ship, totally unwanted. (...and denounced by the all great and all powerful Picard which would be on her record)

When she asked whether it would be better to transfer out remember how Picard basically said that it'd just be passing on the problem to whomever and wherever she goes.

Then she gets called in again to his office, Picard spins another yarn doing a complete 180 claiming that it was in fact he who was the one who "handpicked" her from all the others, even while knowing about the utterly disastrous time she spent at Star Fleet Academy, all this because he's such a sweet heart who "wanted to give her a chance to redeem herself" and not be a total disappointment and burden all her life.

Like with a lot of bosses when they ask you to "volunteer willingly" it's anything but. Picard probably knew the affected persons who had lost family in the incident at Star Fleet Academy and made sure to "get even" for them by sending this young officer to her certain death.

Would Picard send Riker on this fools errand, or in fact any one of his staff members? He didn't so no, of course not, that'd be lunacy! He naturally sends the inexperienced Bjoran woman with a back story (that wouldn't hold up under extreme torture) that she's a terrorist. Why?

The hope was allegedly that while crossing into Cardassian space which IS being closely monitored, yadda yadda capture, (?) Something something escape pod which miraculously "floats back to the Enterprise". (?)

Anyway, the preferred candidate, the young Riker, gets the promotion so all's well that ends well... I guess?

That's true for the series proper. But in the TOS films, in The Voyage Home, Kirk makes two statements that would support what DS9 says.
I'm not a big fan of the TOS movies. Too often they changed canon just because it was either expedient or they were too lazy to either respect canon or even look it up. Again, that's my controversial opinion.

Reactions: kkt
He did the ol' battered girlfriend/boyfriend routine. Got her in his office and basically called her character into question, really broke her down made her feel worthless, made it quite clear that there's absolutely no way for her to create a life for herself on his ship, totally unwanted. (...and denounced by the all great and all powerful Picard which would be on her record)

When she asked whether it would be better to transfer out remember how Picard basically said that it'd just be passing on the problem to whomever and wherever she goes.

Then she gets called in again to his office, Picard spins another yarn doing a complete 180 claiming that it was in fact he who was the one who "handpicked" her from all the others, even while knowing about the utterly disastrous time she spent at Star Fleet Academy, all this because he's such a sweet heart who "wanted to give her a chance to redeem herself" and not be a total disappointment and burden all her life.

Like with a lot of bosses when they ask you to "volunteer willingly" it's anything but. Picard probably knew the affected persons who had lost family in the incident at Star Fleet Academy and made sure to "get even" for them by sending this young officer to her certain death.

Would Picard send Riker on this fools errand, or in fact any one of his staff members? He didn't so no, of course not, that'd be lunacy! He naturally sends the inexperienced Bjoran woman with a back story (that wouldn't hold up under extreme torture) that she's a terrorist. Why?

The hope was allegedly that while crossing into Cardassian space which IS being closely monitored, yadda yadda capture, (?) Something something escape pod which miraculously "floats back to the Enterprise". (?)

Anyway, the preferred candidate, the young Riker, gets the promotion so all's well that ends well... I guess?

Actually, Lavelle wasn't the preferred choice, per Riker's dialogue during the poker game. He wasn't 'entirely convinced' he was worth promoting at that time because, among other things, he seemed to be too ingratiating.

And Sito was likely the only Bajoran officer on the ship at that time, and a Bajoran 'prisoner' was needed to maintain the Cardassian's cover. But Picard needed to make sure she could handle such an assignment.

I kinda wish someone other than Mulgrew had been picked for Janeway. Maybe we wouldn't have got some of those awful holodeck storylines.

I kinda wish someone other than Mulgrew had been picked for Janeway. Maybe we wouldn't have got some of those awful holodeck storylines.

You gotta change the writers room.

Which happened... A lot.

I know this.

Saw Tim Russ on a youtube, the other day, and he said the Geneviève was so bad, that the producers considered replacing her with a Man-Captain.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkt
Back