What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Holopat

Holopat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What Uhura couldn't have used fingerprints or retina prints or just entered her account information in some other way.

2. Holopat

I am no great fan of the TOS movies for many reasons, characterization of the main characters being one. I would have liked to see a real continuation of TOS.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. See DS9, "In the Cards." They split the difference: no money needed on Earth, but the Federation still uses money. My post is in line with that. There is no contradiction in the use of credits both in the Federation and on Earth and what I wrote. None whatsoever.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Maybe in the 32nd, but not with 24th Century, seeing how the Galaxy Class starship was utterly powerless and as you said, pulled off a miracle getting out....

What weird psychological manipulation?

It was urgent. They couldn't wait for someone to send a person, which would take time and possibly bring some suspicions.

5. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, even bartering is a form of commerce. Few folks will do something for the sheer good of doing it. There's gotta be something a little extra thrown in.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  6. gweeps

This was true, until a franchise was born with TNG.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. (Errand of Mercy?) The very next line, Kirk says/implies there are no Vulcan Merchants, because Vulcan is a member of the Federation, and the Federation does not use money. Spock counters "No dude, you're wrong."
    2. Credits are used when Aliens conduct business with the Federation. K7 was on the edge of Federation Space, 90 percent of their business must have been with aliens.
    3. Harry is an ex patriot, but only when he feel;s like it.
    4. Selling Wives to men who have a whole planet to themselves, opposed to the crush of the homeworld where 80 billion are struggling to find air. The mining worlds could have declared independence, or never been part of the Federation, or the United Earth.

8. Holopat

There’s nothing in TOS that says money wasn’t used on Earth.

Tallguy likes this.
  9. Holopat

Not to me. The early TNG was just derivative. The rest of it I couldn’t stomach.
    That’s my controversial opinion. The only real Trek is TOS.

10. Magic Maik

Magic Maik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He did the ol' battered girlfriend/boyfriend routine. Got her in his office and basically called her character into question, really broke her down made her feel worthless, made it quite clear that there's absolutely no way for her to create a life for herself on his ship, totally unwanted. (...and denounced by the all great and all powerful Picard which would be on her record)

When she asked whether it would be better to transfer out remember how Picard basically said that it'd just be passing on the problem to whomever and wherever she goes.

Then she gets called in again to his office, Picard spins another yarn doing a complete 180 claiming that it was in fact he who was the one who "handpicked" her from all the others, even while knowing about the utterly disastrous time she spent at Star Fleet Academy, all this because he's such a sweet heart who "wanted to give her a chance to redeem herself" and not be a total disappointment and burden all her life.

Like with a lot of bosses when they ask you to "volunteer willingly" it's anything but. Picard probably knew the affected persons who had lost family in the incident at Star Fleet Academy and made sure to "get even" for them by sending this young officer to her certain death.

Would Picard send Riker on this fools errand, or in fact any one of his staff members? He didn't so no, of course not, that'd be lunacy! He naturally sends the inexperienced Bjoran woman with a back story (that wouldn't hold up under extreme torture) that she's a terrorist. Why?

The hope was allegedly that while crossing into Cardassian space which IS being closely monitored, yadda yadda capture, (?) Something something escape pod which miraculously "floats back to the Enterprise". (?)

Anyway, the preferred candidate, the young Riker, gets the promotion so all's well that ends well... I guess?

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's true for the series proper. But in the TOS films, in The Voyage Home, Kirk makes two statements that would support what DS9 says.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  12. Holopat

I'm not a big fan of the TOS movies. Too often they changed canon just because it was either expedient or they were too lazy to either respect canon or even look it up. Again, that's my controversial opinion.

kkt likes this.
  13. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, Lavelle wasn't the preferred choice, per Riker's dialogue during the poker game. He wasn't 'entirely convinced' he was worth promoting at that time because, among other things, he seemed to be too ingratiating.

And Sito was likely the only Bajoran officer on the ship at that time, and a Bajoran 'prisoner' was needed to maintain the Cardassian's cover. But Picard needed to make sure she could handle such an assignment.

14. gweeps

I kinda wish someone other than Mulgrew had been picked for Janeway. Maybe we wouldn't have got some of those awful holodeck storylines.

15. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone else was picked – Geneviève Bujold. All the pre-Mulgrew footage indicates that Mulgrew really was hugely, hugely better.

16. gweeps

I know this.

17. Guy Gardener

You gotta change the writers room.

Which happened... A lot.

Saw Tim Russ on a youtube, the other day, and he said the Geneviève was so bad, that the producers considered replacing her with a Man-Captain.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    kkt likes this.
  18. Guy Gardener

But Susan Gibney!

I saw Susan on a The Larry Sanders Show rerun a few days ago, but I did not recognize her from Star Trek, however I was drawn to her, I assumed that... WTF is The Fearing Mind?

19. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They don't need to follow canon. It isn't really something they have to "respect". Even TOS contradicted itself.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Voyager is a bore, pretty much from beginning to end. An SUV takes a wrong turn and everyone frets about being lost in a neighborhood that must be strange and dangerous because the people look different and dress funny. Mulgrew is as interesting as dry, toasted Wonder Bread.