What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Guest

While they're undoubtedly powerful, I'd debate a Sovereign-class having tactical superiority over an Akira-class. Fifteen torpedo launchers and a through-deck launch bay with a standard complement of forty fighters packs quite a wallop. Even with all the extra launchers added in Nemesis, the Enterprise-E still only has at most eight. The Sovereign seems to be a lean, fast, multipurpose cruiser; the Akira is undoubtedly a dedicated battleship-carrier.

2. Holly-deck One

Holly-deck One Vice Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise did just arrive at the scene, and therefore had no damage. I guarantee not a single other ship in that armada had no damage when she appeared. That might also be a factor in tactical superiority.

Commander Troi and Wally like this.
  3. Crazy 4 XmasLights

Crazy 4 XmasLights Vice Admiral Admiral

Just common sense. Yes, some people actually still have it, even these days.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. Holly-deck One

Common sense no longer exists. It was on the Endangered Species list for decades, and was put on the Critically Endangered list recently. It will likely be Extinct In The Wild by 2025.

(I have, however, upgraded 'common sense' to 'Rare Sense', since so damned few people have it. This classification has elicited some laughs now and then.)

5. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Captain Kris Kringle Pike Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have limited love for TNG but All Good Things will be my preferred ending for those characters. Beautifully done as opposed to the films.

Richard S. Ta and Holly-deck One like this.
  6. Holly-deck One

I can't argue that the TNG series finale was a better sendoff than NEMESIS. That's not even a contest. NEMESIS was so bad a sendoff that we're about to get a real one, over 20 years after the movie.

7. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Premium Member

Pactrick Steward had a higher paying contract.

Commander Troi and Vale like this.
  8. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that idea

AresB likes this.
  9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Milking that TNG teat dry.

Richard S. Ta and Orphalesion like this.
  10. Crazy 4 XmasLights

Oh, it still exists; you just have to be really careful about using it. In a society where ideology is king, people aren't supposed to actually think anymore.

And leaving a bad taste in the viewer's mouth as a result. I'm still pissed about how "Nemesis" ended.

11. 1001001

1001001 Workin' Them Angels Moderator

Oh for Corn’s sake give it a rest.

931DE0E3-AE93-4E7B-9041-5B9CBDE182C1.jpeg

12. tesral

tesral Fleet Captain Premium Member

Seriously, if that could happen I would be blind.

13. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure the A was said to be the flagship in TUC. Which was interesting since it was pretty clearly not the strongest or most advanced ship in the fleet at that point.

14. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know how long Picard commanded the Stargazer, nor when he was promoted to the rank of Captain. but the writers guide says he was the captain (commanding officer or Captain in rank?) of the Stargazer for 22 years. Plus 8 years as a captain in rank after the Stargazer, and then 8 more years as commander of the Enterprise D, and then 1 year as commander of the Enteprise E, makes a total of 39 yeas since he first commanded a starship..

If the Writer's guide is canon (or collaborated by later canon) that he commanded the Stargazer for 22 years.

In real life,there would be absolutely no benefit in small space fightercraft, and space devoted to their hanger would be wasted space. Small space fighters and carriers for htem don't make any sense. And any attempt at justification for them would have to involve some very complex technobabble which might totally contractict every other piece of Star trek technobabble ever written..

That makes a lot of sense.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    publiusr likes this.
  15. Bad Father Christmas

Bad Father Christmas I Am Not A Merry Man! Moderator

Those two reasons, plus everyone else's starships that were still in one piece were beat to hell from the running battle with the Borg, and Picard just arrived in one of the fleet's newest, most advanced, and most heavily-armed starships, with fresh shields and all systems and crew operating at full capacity. Command would default to him by being the captain with the most capable starship, similar to the situation with Voyager and Equinox.

ETA: Never mind, I see you said the same thing in another post.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This is a terribly unobservant, inaccurate and intellectually dishonest way to express a grievance with our various cultures not being to your liking right now.

17. Crazy 4 XmasLights

If you feel that there is a more constructive way by which I could express my grievances, feel free to let me know. In the meantime, let's get back to controversial STAR TREK opinions.

Richard S. Ta and Holly-deck One like this.
  18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I like First Contact a lot. They did everything right that they could do. There's a lot wrong with it. It still has this 90's trekiness to it that prevents it from looking like a movie and what would look NOW like a pretty decently budgeted TV show. And I am not sure why. Maybe because the casting carried over from the TV show and they were very firmly TV actors being directed as TV actors. But it works, somehow, anyway.

It's like around that time that David Bowie was finished with Ziggy stardust and hadn't went into his introspective drug fuelled Berlin phase so we're talking the whole Thin White Duke phase that us Bowie fans would sometimes like to forget the more regrettable aspects of. But musically he's doing something totally different. There's a lot of blue-eyed soul attempts going on in the 70s, but none of it sounds like Young Americans. None of those other folks trying it are getting invited to Soul Train. He's making new musical DNA and he just stops, because he's Bowie, and he moves on to something else and creatively, he never really visits what he was doing again. And apart form maybe influencing the later sound of Roxy Music who in turn influences everyone else in the Galaxy, that's it.

So this drawn out completely stupid analogy is yes, calling First Contact, Trek's Young Americans, except of course Trek DID try to emulate it. Again and again, And First Contact has plenty of recycled plots and tropes in it too. So does Young Americans. So does anything creative. There's something about that movie. It might not be my favorite Trek movie in terms of quality or creativity, but if you give me a banker box of Trek and SW movies and say pick one to watch while we eat dinner, it will be First Contact.

But yeah, its hard to find much redeeming in the other TNG movies. I can't imagine myself ever watching them again on my own, unless someone else I'm hanging around with wants to.

Commander Troi and publiusr like this.
  19. Vale

Vale Guest

First Contact is a fine movie. I think my antipathy towards it is caused simply by my having seen it far too many times; it's not fun for me any more.

I also really like Insurrection. It's basically a big-budget TNG two-part episode. I just don't get the hate at all, and at least they tried to do something different as opposed to playing it safe with a dull retread of First Contact.

Nemesis, though... :barf:

XCV330 and publiusr like this.
  20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's the big budget version of one of the really mediocre two-parters like "Birthright" or "Time's Arrow." Yeah, it's longer, but it's still not particularly interesting.

Kor and Richard S. Ta like this.