What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably because it runs on an entirely different source of energy - one that apparently isn't compatible with building in OFF-switches?
    (Inventing nonsense such as 'oh it runs on an energy matrix incompatible with other power sources' just because the writers wanted to tell a holodeck story except the setting didn't erm, 'encourage' holodeck use irks me).

Brennyren likes this.
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

3rd century AD. Vulcan was probably called Romulus and overrun with Romulans.

4th century AD. Romulans started converting into Vulcans. The Vulcans Nuked the Romulans. The Romulans built a fleet and left their home, now a radioactive dust bowl. The abandoned Vulcans left behind renamed their planet Vulcan, and from the intense radioactivity, the Vulcans became telepathic.

3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I remember a dialogue between Kirk and Spock, possibly from one of the books.
    KIRK: "I thought Vulcans didn't believe in revenge."
    SPOCK: "It was our capacity for revenge that motivated us to embrace logic in the first place."

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Humans would be if they didn't assume judgment from others would come.

5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for sharing! I thought the clip was quite funny. Always nice to see Avery too.

6. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I don't think spontaneous holographic sentience is as common as people think. If it were, then the idea of the Doctor programming his own family gets real dark real fast.

7. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much everything in Trek gets real dark real fast if you think too much about it.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Delete the wife just took a dark turn here.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Tuvix 2.0, baby.

10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still wonder if Janeway ever got to answer for some of her more controversial decisions. I don't necessarily mean a court martial or any such thing. Just ... questions asked by Starfleet HQ why she opted for action x in situation y.

Then again, I'm wondering the same thing about, say, Picard. Does Starfleet HQ routinely give feedback on Picard's actions in situations such as in Homeward, with the Boraalans, doomed to die?

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Damn. It's a still from Colossus: The Forbin Project.

12. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Forbin and Richard S. Ta like this.
  13. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

I didn't care for DS9. Its my least favorite of the pre-Discovery shows. I felt is was a bit too 'preachy' (I only like religion in my scify if its evil LOL). I know a lot of people love that show, so I know its mostly just me, but thats probably THE most controversial.

Oh, and maybe I liked the Mirror Universe Hoshi better. 'Bad girls' are always more interesting than vanilla good girls. Plus, ya know... halfy shirt. :biggrin:

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They made some good cuts. That and Sulu’s “inscrutable Asian” bit. Wish they’d cut Spock-Rand exchange at end of Enemy Within.

JoaquinSlowly and cooleddie74 like this.
  16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, that "interesting qualities" line from Spock was horrific. Even Rand's facial expression was like: "What the F is wrong with you, Mr. Spock? Piss off!" Kirk's transporter duplicate tried to rape Rand in her quarters and Spock plays it off with awkward humor.

Arguably the worst moment in Trek history. And I adore TOS with the fire of a million burning stars.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Spock mind-raping Valeris would be my low point.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ya. I was just thinking that by being here I’ve learned of those two false starts/scenes that were then eliminated after second thought. There are probably others.

On H and I they’re back to S1, afterthe last I had seen was “Eden”; now it was Conscience. It’s almost a different show. I love the wordsiness/stage play of those early eps — a number of which have antitechnology asides or plots — but in its attempt to be Playhouse 90-ish that script sure has some “meaningful” lines that are almost nonsensical or non sequitur. I think it was still the GR-rewriting everything era.

19. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For some reason I could see the picture when others couldn't...

I'm glad you cleared it up though. Just searched that and it sounds like an interesting movie. Is there anywhere it can be watched online?

20. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the Kirk Karate chop seems to be the mightiest weapon in all of Trek

TOS has more melodrama than all other trek combined

Kirk was shown to be specist as early as Arena (speaking of human revulsion towards repitles)

TOS-R Enterprise is the worst reimagining of the Enterprise than any other

For those who give TOS a pass on its faults due to the era it was made, surely they should extend the same courtesy to "Nu-Trek" and accept that some of the writing, stylisation etc is simply part of contemporary TV

For those wanting Berman Trek to return - it would be the Chinese Democracy of TV shows.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.