What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker and dupersuper like this.
  2. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Kestra will gain any Empathic/Telepathic abilities like her mother.

She is ¼ Betazoid & ¾ Human.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It worked for the guy from The Price...

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But he was the only one of five children to inherit them. So his four siblings don't have any (ESP) Empathic abilities.

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Maybe not, perhaps they just carry the gene as a recessive gene? (showing my ignorance on how genes work)

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean the inheritance of ESP powers is a pure fantasy scenario anyway.

But yeah, I agree, I could see a situation where a child of two non-empathic 1/4 Betazoids displays ESP powers.

Like it could be possible that multiple genes are necessary to express the Betazoid ESP abilities (which I think is likely even, considering that Betazoid-hybrids have weaker powers than full-Betazoids) and if the right, non-ESP 1/4 Betazoids meet and the genes are inherited in just the right combination they could produce an Empath (or maybe even a Telepath) among their children.
    At least that's with my limited how I'd see it with my limited knowledge of genetics.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry, Star Trek writers have been just as ignorant about how genetics works.

Commander Troi, Vale and dupersuper like this.
  8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The JJVerse Klingon D4 is actually quite a nice design

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Kelvin Timeline Klingon ships were so much better than almost all of the ones we got on DSC. The Kelvin Timeline D7 battle cruiser is one of the best Klingon ships designed since the TOS Movie Era.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved B'elanna's Jacket uniform with the tools a little underneath the shoulder. I wish Geordi had something similar. My favorite uniforms are the first contact era, but the thing I loved about the Enterprise uniforms was they brought back the pockets.

JoaquinSlowly and cooleddie74 like this.
  11. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Until ENTERPRISE, the only person who truly had pockets was Beverly, since she wore her doctor's coat often.

Richard S. Ta and tomalak301 like this.
  12. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She also had enough good sense to wear a wrist watch.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 2009 Klingon Warbird is in fact a TMP K'tinga with bolt-ons, and then scaled up to match the Federation ships.

But the bolt ons are perfect, making an already iconic design even better. Best Klingon ship of them all, and it's barely even seen.

14. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They must surely be dominant alleles for a half human, half betazoid child to inherit the powers.

If we assume the gene for empathic abilities is a distinct one that does not occur in other species then a human/betazoid mix will be Empathic positive on the betazoid side and Empathic negative on the human side.

If it was regressive then it would mean Deanna wasn't empathic at all due to how they work however if she then had a kid with a Betazoid she would carry the allele and so she could have an empathic child - this is basically how gingers and left handers work (obviously much more complex than I am explaining but I'm not writing a scientific paper here).

As we have no evidence that Deanna's father wasn't 100% human we have to assume he did not have any empathy allele and therefore Deanna must get it from her mum, ergo it is dominant and always presents in people who are 100% betazoid.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's a badass design. Even the engineering hull has strap-on disruptor cannons poking out. Kelvin Timeline Klingons are even more ruthless than their Prime Timeline counterparts.

publiusr and F. King Daniel like this.
  16. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd forgotten it even featured in the movie till you guys raised it. It is gorgeous though.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Technically all the season one and two TNG one-piece uniforms had a pocket for the cricket phaser. But it was probably supposed to look like some 24th century magic compartment and not your average pocket.

18. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but I don't really consider them pockets, because they were used for a specific item, in that case the Type I phaser.

Real pockets: you can put different things in it. Like the ENTERPRISE uniforms. Or Beverly's coat.

publiusr and cooleddie74 like this.
  19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the frequency of random kidnappings, un-authorized beam out by rando aliens, or waking up on a strange planet or place.

People need to at least carry basic survival stuff in their pockets.

Maybe a Type-1 Phaser, Some multi-tools, pocket knife, etc.