What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but these were logical character arcs based on where their characters had been during the "hiatus" and what they experienced through the course of the films.

Lord Garth likes this.
  2. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

We're told that Data doesn't have emotions again and again... but the truth is he's not played like someone without emotion, not at all. He's played like someone with Asperger's Syndrome.

Ironically the kid in "Hero Worship" does a better impression of what Data is purported to be than Spiner himself. Is it misdirection or Spiner deliberately including emotion? I can't believe it's bad acting since Spiner is a pretty good actor.

There's another possibility, maybe they realized that if they played Data without emotion people would have trouble relating to him, so they cheated and created this mishmash or a character that smiles all the time, changes his tone of voice depending on the circumstances, but is sort of awkward around people, and often seems like a fish out of water;... And keep making silly mistakes and silly assumptions.

And when people who don't know better see this, they tell themselves: "This is what an android is supposed to be like."

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    Kirk really isn't the same in TMP or TWOK. The films are arguably about his midlife crisis and going through a lot of grief about getting old. I think the TOS crew was handled better for the most part, with Chekov and Scotty a lot of times getting the short end of the stick. But, I don't think they were mostly the same, especially in TMP.
    Mid life crisis will do that to a person. And watching your best friend die. And hearing your son die. Yeah, I can't imagine that does wonders for the psyche.
    Data is often played poorly, in my opinion. He is someone who struggles with understanding humans and yet desires their approval. On my effort to rewatch TNG and try to appreciate it The Ensigns of Command stood out because Data was asking Picard regarding performing and then Data becomes distracted because Picard leaves. WHAT?

4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There actually are people who have a particular damage to their brain where they can no longer feel emotions. These people make lots of decisions that we would consider irrational. For example, they might choose to drive dangerously and not buckle their seat belt because they are missing the fear that leads to a reflexive desire for self-preservation.

When it comes down to it, in the real world, emotions and "logic" cannot be disentangled.

tesral likes this.
  5. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Fleet Captain

Again with the "rule breaker". In 2 and 3 sure: 2 we learn how he beat the Kobyashi Maru, 3 where he steals the Enterprise specifically to bring back Spock, but Kirk doesn't just go around breaking rules for kicks. He doesn't break any rules in 4 (is in fact going back to answer for his breaking of them in 3), none in 5 that I can think of, and none in 6 (except serving Romulan Ale, but that rule never seems to be enforced).

Farscape One and cooleddie74 like this.
  6. Swedish Borg

This means that Data's "psychology" is completely alien to ours, as we couldn't possibly function without emotions. And makes me wonder as to how he could even be admitted into Starfleet. You have an android of unknown psychology, allegedly without emotion and you're going to entrust him in a system based on punishment and reward? You don't even know if either of these will have any effect on him. Then again the way Starfleet works, it should fall apart in a matter of weeks.

7. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or it's deliberately running closer to Spock, the breakout character from the previous show who was also constantly described as having no emotion even though that very clearly wasnt true.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  8. Swedish Borg

I think Spock is a superior character.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, quite so.

10. Swedish Borg

Like when Spock was clearly upset that Kirk and Bones would be overly pleased with themselves.

11. fireproof78

Largely because Nimoy said he played Spock as someone who always kept his emotions under extreme control, not emotionless.

12. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

At a convention one time someone asked Brent Spiner how you play a character that has no emotions.

His response was “You don’t. You play a character who is pretending he doesn’t have emotions.”

13. Swedish Borg

I knew Spiner was aware of this.

14. yIH HoD

yIH HoD Ensign Newbie

TNG: Nemesis is not that bad(I don't say it's great, just not THAT bad). Troi should be treated better and she should be with Tom Riker(another character who deserve better).
    DS9: I just don't like Sisko. He isn't in my top 3 captain list and I never like Brooks's acting. But I still like all other DS9 characters.

Haven't seen other series for a long time so I can't recall any opinion of them.

15. Seal87

Seal87 Ensign Red Shirt

Well I don't like most of the Kurtzman produced Star Trek. That gets me in a lot of trouble on facebook when I say so. Most well verse Trek fans I know share this opinion, but harsh backlash in some platforms seems to make it count as a controversial opinion.

16. Swedish Borg

Which ones are Kurtzman's?

17. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being a thousand light years away from Starfleet Command has its privileges.

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Rules in Starfleet are frequently bent if no flag officers are nearby. Kirk lived much of his career by the maxim "What Starfleet Command doesn't see or read in my log entries won't hurt me or my crew."

19. fireproof78

That's ok. Most people give me grief for liking it.

Seal87 likes this.
  20. Swedish Borg

Yeah, a thousand light-years, yet we're supposed to believe that Archer's Enterprise got there in a couple of days...:rommie: