Spoilers What are the odds of Cornwell making it to the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Succubint, Oct 24, 2017.

1. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I think she will be around most of the season. I think / hope she will be apart of Lorca's unraveling.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She explained that. Rather than pull rank and have Lorca removed from command, a move that effectively destroys his career, she wants to instead have him step aside willingly so that they can work together in dealing with Lorca's issues. Lorca instead, more or less fed Cornwell to the wolves.

Succubint likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you figure?

Cornwell didn't have to go on that mission. She outranked Lorca, so there's no way he could have forced her to go. And neither of them could have possibly known that the "peace talks" were fake.

Feron likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Lorca knew Cornwell wouldn't say no to this sort of mission, and while neither of them may have known the peace talks were a set-up, I'm sure Lorca suspected it. And afterwards when he learned Cornwell was captured, Lorca suddenly decides he's going to wait until Starfleet authorizes a rescue, despite the fact he has up until now had no problem with doing his own thing and telling admirals to shove it when they complain about it afterwards. Cornwell even said Lorca's disrespect to the Vulcan admiral actually caused an emotional reaction in him.

Succubint likes this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If she had, who else would you have had them send?

Lorca obviously couldn't go, given his previous trauma at Klingon hands. And I doubt anyone else on Discovery would be qualified to take part in (what they believed would be) high level peace talks.

Okay, I admit that's a bit odd. But as I said, if Lorca receives that authorization and refuses, that's when we can start worrying.

Besides, the argument can be made that Discovery isn't the best ship they could send to rescue Cornwell anyway. If something goes wrong, the Klingons could capture it and get all the secrets (about the shroom drive) that they will ever need. Wouldn't it be better to send a dedicated strike force of Starfleet Marines or whatever they're called ;) ?

Oh well. To answer the original question: I do believe Cornwell will survive this. She is tough, resilient and surely a formidable fighter. I wouldn't count her out just yet.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Feron and Succubint like this.
  6. Adama311

Adama311 Ensign Red Shirt

Lorca cares too much about his Captains chair, I have a hunch he'll be involved in her (inevitable, I mean it was clearly set up) death.

7. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lorca seems to feel that loosing the Discovery is similar to loosing the the Buran. He practically beg Cornwell no to take his ship. I think he was reliving the trauma at that moment.
    But the irony is that this is exactly why he isn't fit to command the Discovery.
    So far, everything he did regarding Cornwell can be read both ways. But if he deliberately let her die, then there is no going back.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think she survives, and after Lorca heroically rescues her she will get convinced that he should stay as Captain.

Feron, saddestmoon and oberth like this.
  9. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

maybe she'll tell him he's under surveillance and she will show up here and then to screw him over (i know what i did here - no need to explain it to me)

Cyrus likes this.
  10. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

Yes, this rescue mission isn't for Discovery. It's for The Enterprise :)
    There is another hero ship in that timeline. So don't worry about her :)

Feron likes this.
  11. oberth

that'll mean bye-bye lorca - or pike bottles it royally

12. Feron

Feron Commander Red Shirt

Not necessarily. If the Klingons torture her, then Lorca can ask her if she is going to step down as Admiral as well.

She might feel different about tossing Lorca under the bus once she's been in his shoes for a while as far as being on the receiving end of Klingon abuse.

13. oberth

my answer was to the enterprise comes to the rescue. your idea says they are getting there late (after all she has been tortured) -> pike bottled it

i admit i thought the admiral to end up as a plate of sandwiches when i wrote that

as to lorca comes to the rescue

14. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

If she is tortured that still does not give Lorca any authority to ask her if she's going to step down as Admiral. Her pain or sins for that matter don't all of a sudden make Lorca all sweet and dandy again. He has.. issues.. (understatement).

15. Feron

Feron Commander Red Shirt

Obviously he doesn't have any authority over someone who outranks him, a fact that seems to be lost on the crowd that continues to assert that he "sent" her to her doom in the first place.

But if she orders him to step down and doesn't do the same to herself after being abused by the Klingons, then she would appear to be hypocritical.

16. oberth

it would also look like she's scapegoating him for something she is not able to admit herself. if she sacks him she'll be sacked 24 hrs after that by whoever is her boss. if a little torture is a reason to sack a captain it surely is a reason to sack an admiral.

as nobody wants to see those two to boldy go where noone has gone before (in trek) on risa for 6.5 seasons [​IMG] i'm rather sure that won't happen

Feron likes this.
  17. Refuge

Okay those emoticons are cute.

It's all about psych evaluations first I would imagine. I shudder to think what is going to happen to her but she is an Admiral and that might gain her some.. respect from the Klingons. Or not. I was annoyed she didn't make better decisions with Lorca earlier but she looked so slight and like.. oh shit.. I'm in big trouble now.

18. oberth

do you really believe because she's an admiral those klingons will handle her like [​IMG]

19. Refuge

Keep those emoticons coming :)

I feel scared for her in a way. Maybe Mudd will help her somehow..

20. oberth

at this pace that might be difficult - there are only 400 of them [​IMG]

i doubt that, mudd is incarcerated by a different klingon faction -> she will be in solidary confinement [​IMG]

Refuge likes this.