Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. CaptainMark

CaptainMark Cadet Newbie

Hello all,

Mark here! I'm originally from England, but have been living in Japan for the last 4 years. Its not too easy to find Trek on TV here, but I have my DVD collection so all is well :-)

Looking forward to talking to you!

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard, CaptainMark. I'll pipe you in. Japan (Okinawa) was a wonderful place, even though I spoke no Japanese. They were so polite, for the most part.

3. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

hello you will love Trek BBS it's great.

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I guess I'm a late-comer to the party as well. Long time Star Trek fan, I was a little kid when my Mom brought home a VHS of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. As soon as those Klingon ships sailed past the camera (to the sounds of that AMAZING score), I was hooked. I watched the original Star Trek on Saturday mornings on CBC, and started watching TNG at around the beginning of season 5. I'm now in my late twenties, and I've seen every episode and film multiple times. I'm a lifer!

5. Marth22

Marth22 Guest

My name is Andrew I'm not much of a Trekkie yet but I'm always trying something new who knows maybe I will get hooked to this show, nice to meet you all

6. Captain T'Anyel

Captain T'Anyel Ensign Newbie

Hello Everyone - Looking forward to a long stay with this board. I hope to be welcomed into the Star Trek Fold here. Have been a devotee of the show since it first aired in 1966. I love all the series and films but I have a soft spot for ENTERPRISE, Vulcans :vulcan:, Cardassians :cardie:, Andorians (WHAT??? no smilie????), and Romulans...:rommie:

Romulan Ale for all! This round is on me!!! :beer:

7. Captain T'Anyel

Captain T'Anyel Ensign Newbie

Gee, I thought I would get at least one "Welcome" here. This is sad.:shrug: Guess you guys don't like newcomers. Okay, I can take a hint............

8. Dragonfare

Dragonfare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Are you going to be sulky all the time?

9. Sector 7

Real life prevents me from being here 24/7 to comment in the first few seconds of your post. If you have fragile emotions, you will probably not survive TrekBBS very long! There are many friendly people here... please try to be one.:techman:

10. Dragonfare

I'll second Sector 7 - and by the way, welcome!

11. voyagerfanatic

voyagerfanatic Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone!
    Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

I became a star trek lover a few years ago when I decided to watch one episode "just because" and then itturned into 2 episodes....then 3....next thing I know, I'm completely addicted lol.

Although I love all of the series, my favorite is Voyager.

Hope to make new friends here!

12. Dragonfare

Welcome to you, voyagerfanatic!

13. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I guess I've been registered for almost a year and a half, and I even posted a couple of times, but I don't remember doing any of it. I've been a lurker here for a long time. I'm actually a regular poster over on Trekweb, but I want to branch out a tad.

I know everyone says it and it sounds cliche, but I've been a Trekker (I actually consider myself a "Trekster" :lol:) for as long as I've been alive. I first became obsessed with Star Trek: TNG and the Original Series movies. I regret that when DS9 and VOY were on, I was kinda of taking a break. I was in Jr. High and High School and watching Star Trek didn't earn you any "cool points". :rolleyes: But while in college I started watching Enterprise and I feel in love with Trek all over again. (Yeah, I know the quality of Enterprise is in question, but at the time it was enough to bring me back in.)

Some of my other favorites in the Sci-Fi genre are Stargate SG1 (early seasons), Stargate Universe, Battlestar Galactica (remake), Caprica, Twilight Zone (original), Outer Limits (90's version). I'm trying to explore Babylon 5.

There's more I could write here, but this is already ridiculously long and I doubt many will read it.

14. Dragonfare

I read it! Welcome, Ralphis!

15. Sector 7

I read it as well. Opinions are like belly buttons, some are in, some are out, but everybody has one (except that kid on Sarah Jane Chronicles). Enjoy what YOU enjoy, because it is all opinion anyway.

16. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi, I'm 27 years old, I live in Romania and I love Star Trek. This is my first contact with other Trek aficionados. I haven't been a fan for long, but recently I began feeling the need to connect with people who share my interest in Trek. So I've joined this forum.

I was introduced to ST through TNG in the 90s, when watching an episode of ST on Sunday evenings was quite an event. After TNG had ended I tried watching DS9, but it didn't really catch on. I now realize that my attachement to Captain Picard & Co. was too strong at the time to even be willing to appreciate another Trek show. So I forgot all about Trek until two years ago when I happened to catch an episode of TNG on AXN and it all came back to me. I rewatched TNG, then DS9, which this time I absolutely loved, then the movies, VOY, TOS and ENT.

My favorite series are TNG, TOS and DS9, but I love ST as a whole because it's the sort of show that makes one think about everything really. I can honestly say that it has broadened my perspective on life and on our place in the universe. ST has also kindled my interest in science and technology, which, having an educational background in Humanities and a rabid hate for Math, used to be a completely opaque topic for me. I still hate Math, but at least I can read about space exploration and astronomy without going, 'Huh?'.

What I love most about Trek though is its storytelling and characters, the way in which in creates this huge fictional world and makes us believe in it. It's fascinating!

Well, I hope my first post wasn't too long and boring... I tend to ramble in writing.

It's nice to meet everyone and I can't wait to chat more with you about all fascinating aspects of ST.

Peace and long life!
    Livia

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hello to everyone new, and welcome to the board! I've been here for 7 1/2 years and it never gets old, or at least I don't think it does. Maybe I'm getting old, I'm not certain. :lol:

18. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Sarek!

Wow, I never thought I'd be talking to Sarek of Vulcan one day... this is wonderful.

Anyway, Star Trek has been around for over 40 years. So there, talk about not getting old!:techman:

19. Dragonfare

Welcome, Alienesse! That was one of the best descriptions of the value of Star Trek that I've read. Well done!

20. Lunarflower

Lunarflower Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello. I'm Laura.

I am new to here, lurked for a few months before joining a few weeks ago. But I'd have to say I have been a Trek fan since as close to birth as humanly possible. Both of my parents are Trekkies, and so was my grandfather.

My earliest Trek memories are probably watching TWoK on VHS at about five or six, as well as watching some TNG and TOS on tape.

After that I kind of grew up with Trek, my very first action figure was a very small Dr. Crusher (I hated Barbie, so I had action figures or toy horses instead). Watching Voyager and Enterprise from the very beginning to their ends (I did see some DS9 episodes when they originally aired, but the majority of it went straight over my 5-12 year old brain).

I have since then gone back and watched DS9 (now rewatching it). As well as watching all of TOS and The Animated Series online last year.

Well anyway, that is about all I can think to write at the moment. Hope to have fun chatting with you all in the future.