We need a series set at least a century after Voyager

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by HelenofBorg, Sep 14, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whelp, I have 3 respones to this:
    Extremely cynical-people have been wanting to see me hate on Discovery. You might get your wish.

Less cynical: Well, it wouldn't be the first retcon in Trek history and won't be the last.

Optimistic: Perhaps the Federation is now in multiple factions.

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frakes meant as in it's more optimistic like the previous series. Not that it was the same story formula/format.

Nothing in the episode said the Federation was evil.

Nothing in Calypso established that the V'draysh were evil. All we know is that they were at war with Craft's people.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    SolarisOne and urbandk like this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ship wouldn't fall in love with an evil man?

"I CAN CHANGE HIM!"

SolarisOne and F. King Daniel like this.
  4. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're probably going to get the answers to these questions in Picard, and maybe even in Discovery too, but I do like the idea of seeing what happened to the Delta quadrant post-Voyager. I don't know how you do it though unless either it's set in the Delta quadrant or the Federation now has propulsion which makes travel to other quadrants faster.

5. Guy Gardener

The Midas Array can talk to people 40k light years plus away from Earth.

To the victor go the spoils.

If it didn't burn to the ground, and the Borg are all truly dead and gone...

Post Endgame, the Federation now OWNS the Borg Transwarp network.

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Watch enough TV shows and you will find examples of fictional characters named Bill and Mitch and others throughout the decades. It's not common but nothing going on today is unique or novel. Just comparatively frequent. I won't spoil it by mentioning show names, though one show was from the 2010s and the other was 1980s.

I'll sorta spoil one and it's a goodie because it's multi-layered, two-for-one: A game show featured a real life person whose name is Stanley. She was given that name by her mother because had seen a movie (from 1942) with Bette Davis playing a character named Stanley. The game show was "Match Game 73" and the movie she referenced was "In This Our Life". :)

A name is a name, sometimes it might give a sensation of oddness but whether it be in real life or as a fictional character or one thing leading to another, it's all good.

And, yeah, I can fathom why the gender-neutral names are more palatable by many in general. But considering how we look at blue and pink in ways we didn't a long time ago back when blue as attributed to girls and pink was to boys (prior to the 20th century but not much farther back, actually as the 20th century imprinted the blue=boys and pink=girls... which is sad, pinks, mauve, and lavenders work great on a number of men (e.g. "winter complexion" combinations (hair/eye/skin tones) and people come up with these mindsets just because of an debate-ably irrational psychological imprint. Some traditions are good, others... not so much.)

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that someone from the production team confirmed that the V'Draysh was the Federation, or a descendant of it, but that doesn't necessarily make the V'Draysh an evil villain. Yeah, Craft seemed like a decent guy, and he was at war with the V'Draysh, but that doesn't mean they were villainous.

And even if it turns out the the V'Draysh are villains, that doesn't mean that the entire Federation is villainous. The V'Draysh could have been a faction of the Federation, but other factions of the Federation might still exist.

Granted, I have no idea if anything I said above will turn out to be true, but the point is that it has not been established (not even by a writer, as far as I know) that the Federation is "evil" in Craft's time.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    SolarisOne and Sakonna like this.
  8. Guy Gardener

V'Draysh?

This going to be more V'Ger, Zardoz bullshit.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

V’Draysh is a linguistic drift of the word Federation according to the writer.

Someone asked him on his Instagram if that was the case, and he answered yes.

10. Guy Gardener

Linguistic Drift doesn't happen if you're all using a universal translator always.

No matter how deformed and drifted your language gets from talking to a computer your entire life, the computer still churns your garbled gobbledygook into perfect 23rd century standard English... Unless the UT is weaponized (DS9 Babel) and people have start talking to each other without an AI interface.

11. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I remember some old books, short stories or fanfics or something, that heavily implied the 23rd century standard would be difficult for us to understand and that the only reason we can view the shows is that we are listening through equivalent of a universal translator.

SolarisOne and Sakonna like this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Universal translation showed up when the Vulcans did.

That's when "random" Lingual drift stopped.

That's your grand children in their 40s.

You're not down with the kids?

13. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was always my complaint when Voyager and Enterprise was endlessly doing those time travel capers with visitors from the ever-more-distant future, burning through hundreds of years of Trekverse history to tell stories that were just awful. Voyager filled us in through the 29th century, and then Enterprise goes through the 31st. I see why Disco decided to jump to the 32nd century, I wouldn't want to operate within the worst spin-off's worst sub-plots either.

Honestly, my real question is why they didn't start the show there. Doing even-more-futuristic Star Trek has felt like their main interest from the beginning, and the decision to make it a prequel was always perplexingly working against that.

Karellen and SolarisOne like this.
  14. Guy Gardener

So that the Fanboys and Fangirls get fanboners every time someone says "Spock".

15. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Future timelines unhappen all the time, whenever they become inconvenient. Anybody think Marvel 2099 is still the future of the Marvel Comics?

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Endlessly?" Voyager did it twice, Enterprise had involvement from the 31st century eight times, basically twice per season.

17. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, felt pretty endless. Enterprise kept that story going for nearly the entire run of the series. I'm comfortable describing a 4 season story arc that was already running on fumes before it's first episode was done as "endless."

Of course, even more annoying was how these future folk always seemed to be schlubby, incompetent men. The casting of those roles felt particularly weird.

Karellen and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  18. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It must be hard to do henchmen competency interviews over temporal view screens and no direct face to face communication and sketchy historical records.

Sakonna likes this.
  19. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. It could easily be another Maquis-style situation. The Federation wasn't eeeeeeeevil then.

20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    When I went to my credit union the other day to deposit some money, the pleasant teller who assisted me was a very butch looking gentleman whose name plaque on the counter said BARBARA.
    I embarrassed myself to no end by asking if he had forgotten to change it out, but he very nicely replied that it was actually his.
    Needless to say, I apologized immediately, but he laughed it off and said it happens a lot.
    :alienblush:

SolarisOne likes this.