Watchmen HBO Adaptation From Damon Lindelof

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They’re filming in Macon, that’s about 40 miles away from me.

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Teaser looks great. The movie and comic were both excellent so this has a lot to live up to

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You wouldn't happen to have a long-range parabolic scope, and binoculars would you? Perhaps you could be our "insider" when it comes to new info!

Jason

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't read the comic. The movie was great. This being on HBO will definitely check it out.

Serveaux likes this.
  5. Awesome Possum

If I were a less decent or thought I could get away with it, I’d get one of those alien shelter signs. I want one.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never been able to finish the comic, but the movie was...tolerable (easily Snyder's best film, which isn't saying much). This doesn't look great, but honestly it has a good chance of being better then the source material.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So this series is really happening. Watched the trailer in disbelief.... the look/feel seems to be similar to Snyder's Watchmen?
    This will be perfect for autumn viewing.

Anyone want to discuss details in the teaser, spoilers of course:
    Looks like a Cult of Rorschach has risen up after his journal gets published at the end of the film.

publiusr likes this.
  8. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Movie was ok. Watched it actually twice, the original and the extended one with the animated movie embedded. The extended one didn't really change any of the overall feelings of meeh..
    So they are making a series out of it? I guess I'l binge watch it when it's all done. Absolutely have no interest in watching it week to week, year to year.

9. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

The middle one, the Director's Cut(extended, but without the animated movie) is the best version. ;)

Allyn Gibson and Set Harth like this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie is very divisive, but I loved it. The embedded cartoon didn't do as much as the writers thought it did though.

However, the movie was a small box office flop, so why are they making a series...

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The Buffy movie was a flop and the TV show that followed was not.

Properties don't end with Box Office failure.

12. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

Looking forward to it. There's already the Snyder movie (whatever you think of it) so glad they are doing a sequel instead of just adapting the comic again. A series is probably a better platform for the exploration of the ideas in Watchmen than a two hour movie.

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention the source material is still usually held up as one of the great classics of its medium. Time Magazine even included it in a list of the 100 best novels published in the english language between 1923 and 2005, so it clearly has staying power and a lot of people seem to like it. Tossing that away because one movie flopped would be a bit weird.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Buffy made $16M off a $7M budget, didn't light the world on fire but is that considered a flop? Made more than any Highlander movie.

mos6507 likes this.
  15. Awesome Possum

The movie doesn't seem to have anything to do with the show, it seems to be going off the comic. Which is for the best, the movie was flashy and pretty to look at but utterly empty like all of Snyder's films.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, the movie captured most of what the comic had to offer thematically, with the caveat that Moore was deconstructing a set of tropes specific to a certain medium while working within that medium. That was lost.

I've started trying to make my way through Ennis' The Boys, out of curiosity based on the trailer for the upcoming Amazon movie. So far it doesn't look as if he had any ideas other than Moore's and Miller's, except maybe "let's turn the gore and grossness up to eleven."

Set Harth likes this.
  17. Awesome Possum

Comic Con trailer has dropped.

• Looks like Veidt is either dead or wants people to think he's dead.
    • There's some sort of group that idolizes Rorschach and they're against the police.
    • The police are wearing masks now.
    • Dr. Manhattan is on fucking Mars (maybe).
    • Lots of dead squids.
    • Superheroes have regained prominence in society through entertainment.
    • Silk Spectre is back and using the last name Blake after her biological father.
    • Someone is flying Archie around unsuccessfully.
    • Based on an article on io9, I didn't notice it in the trailer but it takes place in 1995.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely starting to see some more direct connections to the comic now.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ahh, a sequel. Could be interesting.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, still my favourite superhero movie. Probably always will be.

I absolutely loved the source material but can't help thinking it was the right decision for a live action version to change the ending, and wish the series had stuck with that.

Allyn Gibson likes this.