Was Trip the friendliest Star Trek character ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Ragitsu, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Plus despite everything, it didn't take long for Trip to make peace with Degra.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Farscape One likes this.
  2. JN2849

JN2849 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Data was pretty friendly too, I think.

If we’re talking ENT only, I think Mayweather was pretty darn nice as well.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Mayweather was very friendly, probably more friendly than Trip, we just rarely got to see it.

4. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we saw Mayweather's teeth, when he smiles, more than any other character in the franchise. :) :)

Definitely more teeth than dialogue.

5. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

I once misremembered his name as "Merriweather". Yes, he held THAT degree of prominence.

6. Watersluis

Watersluis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Degra was misled, and was now working with them after seeing proof of being misled. — It is quite rare to see a man drop from the faith he was raised with, when seeing evidence to the contrary. It is a testament to exceptional openmindedness to do so this easily.

And even if it were not, they needed Degra's favor to save the planet. Restraining oneself to save an entire planet is a small thing to ask.

That you are even more unreasonable, and apparently willing to sacrifice the entire earth to satiate your desire for vengeance onto a man who was misled and played a fool says much about you.

It does not make Tucker reasonable a man simply because you would actually stoop to the level of damning the entire earth in your desire for vengeance.

It is dubious enough that someone who so holds a grudge against an innocent man who was merely misled, and told that he needed to do what he did to save his planet is allowed to work at all in Starfleet. One who cannot contain his anger in the face of the potential destruction of entire earth should be promptly relieved of duty. — Such emotional timebombs have no business to lead or even to work with so much at stake.

7. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Misled or not, blood was on Degra's hands. A LOT of blood. Degra is most certainly NOT INNOCENT. Certainly a lot of those dead were children. I don't give a damn who you are... you murder children, your life is forfeit.

I agree that it took a lot of openmindedness on Degra's part to do an about face on the Sphere Builders, and I commend him for being able to do that. It still doesn't wash his hands clean of 7 MILLION dead people.

As far as Trip, the mistake was Archer continuing to have Trip work with Degra. He's human, not a robot. You can't just shut off your emotions on a whim. And by the way, Trip DID change his mind about Degra. It simply took more time than anyone else, almost certainly because he was the only one on the crew who had such a personal loss.

As far as how you think my statement 'says more about me', how about this scenario... someone murders your brother/sister/wife/husband/child or whoever you are close to. You are forced to work with them. You're telling me you'd be fine with that? No issues?

I point this out because if I were in Trip's shoes, I honestly would have someone ELSE work with Degra in another room and I'll work on the material they send. By taking myself out of the room, I'm guaranteeing I won't do something stupid.

(Yes, I agree that Trip, as a commander, should have kept his anger more in check with Degra. I'm not saying he acted responsibly that whole time. I simply understand it, and don't entirely fault him for his words or attitude with the person directly responsible for killing his sister.)

FanST, Mr. Laser Beam and dupersuper like this.
  8. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find Trip has a bit of a temper generally to be honest. He's quick to boil over, but then saying that, he's usually quick to simmer down as well.

I'd call him personable rather than friendly.

HopefulRomantic likes this.
  9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

And more competence. It's easy to see why the Dead Stop station chose his brain for its collection.

He totally handled the Kreetasians in "Vox Sola" too. He was polite, genuine, he asked them what had upset them, and assured them that no offense was intended. He got what he needed from them, and he didn't even need a chainsaw to do it.

10. Whizkid

Whizkid Commander Red Shirt

[In Ben Sisko Voice]: Ijust. CAN'T!. stop. CRACKINUP!. athis.

But why you no mention Troi? I mean Lwaxana of course! Her daughter was clueless.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Travis Taylor is a real life Trip Tucker

12. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

Trip wasn't even the friendliest Enterprise character (Phlox is). He was pretty mean to T'Pol initially.

That being said, he was the best engineer in the fleet, way better than that young Scottish whippersnapper that I arranged to have marooned to Delta Vega for - wait, what did I have him marooned to Delta Vega for, again? And where the hell is Porthos, seriously? I AM NOT SENILE, I SWEAR!

DonIago, Pauln6 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  13. Richard S. Ta

Yes to this. I'm not having much fun with Enterprise generally, but Phlox is always delightful. Contender for best Star trek Doctor in terms of bedside manner and geniality.

Admiral Archer and 1001001 like this.
  14. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

<Movie night in the mess hall.>

Henny Youngman: "Take my wife...please!"
    Phlox: "Is this what you humans consider humorous?"

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's the exact opposite of Pulaski.

16. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Edith Keeler. So friendly that her potential influence could alter a war's outcome for the worst. The ultimate influencer.

Among Starfleet? Um...Boothby is legend.

Kirk was very friendly. Especially with the ladies.

On Enterprise? I wish we had seen more of Ensign Cutler. She was so sweet!

17. Richard S. Ta

She's a lovely character. Sadly the actress died when she was very young.

18. Ruthyone

Ruthyone Guest

Definitely Malcolm Reed! [​IMG]

19. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trip? The friendliest Star Trek character? Hell no.

I love Neelix and Q can go . . . you know what.

20. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Porthos. My beagle. My pal.