Was Ron moore trek's greatest writer

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Baba101, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said! :lol:

2. Vulcanian

Vulcanian Commander Red Shirt

What? You've never heard of Fontana? She's better than Coon ever was. I can't help it if I like those kinds of episodes. Personally I don't really remember a writer that standed out in TNG and the shows after that.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

You don't remember Michael Piller?

4. Vulcanian

Yes but I don't remember a particular episode that I was fond of that he wrote.

5. Lumen

Lumen Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter Allan Fields wrote great teleplays, but the best individual writers in Trek are still to be found in TOS. Sturgeon, Coon, Fontana, even Ellison — all great writers.

If you're talking about writers associated exclusively or primarily with Star Trek — rather than simply talented writers who touched Star Trek at one point — then Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor have a shot, but for my money, it's still Fontana or Coon.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

You didn't like "Best of Both Worlds" or "Emissary"?

Anyways, for me it's a three way tie between Piller, Coon and Fontana.

Ira Behr and Robert Wolfe are close runner ups.

7. Vulcanian

BOBW is overrated. As for "Emissary" I liked both, you may have a point. Try not to force your opinions on others so much. :vulcan:

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Sorry, those are both memorable episodes (generally I mean), but it's your right to not like them if. Heck, it took me a bit to really like "Emissary" since I was only 7 or 8 when it first aired.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I'll bet there are a large number of better-than-competent writers in Hollywood who still can't get anyone to give them the time of day. It's a rough business and talent doesn't always win out. Using a known brand name may be a crutch but it can be a necessary one, just to give the suits confidence that what you're proposing is a known quantity and therefore less of a risk that the rest of the pitches they're getting that day.

The irony is, of course, the crutch extended to the brand name and not the actual content of the series in anything but the shallowest way. Moore pulled a bait and switch, for which the suits may be angry but I don't know why any of us should be. If he'd been "honest" and actually used the BSG content as a guide, the series we got wouldn't have been nearly as good.

10. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Roswell was terrible

11. MrLuisSantiago

MrLuisSantiago Lieutenant Red Shirt

He might be doing a re-imagined remake of The-Thing and I-Robot, Craprica however won't ever see the light of day

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Oh no, they were all stab, even if what he was saying is the truth. And you know there's nothing wrong with making a valid point. On every episode? That's taking it to a whole new level. I kind of wonder if he himself was aware of how many times he more or less made the same point.

And yeah, Moore likes to talk about himself - a lot. Like most things in life there's good and bad aspects to that.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who listens to all his podcasts I don't think he stabs at Star Trek, only that people take his valid criticisms too perswonally and as an attack. Nor do I think he talks about himself too much. He mentions past interesting things about his career which isn't a bad thing.

14. Plum

^^^
    Yea, I'm with you there. As Hollywoodland creators go, he's hardly egotistical. I find the criticism baffling.

15. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I think Moore was a very good Trek writer and I did like most of his episodes. I wouldn't call him the best though, but I'd put him near the top, along with Coon, Fontana, Piller, Maurice Hurley (Shades of Gray aside), Behr (when he wasn't writing Ferengi episodes) and Beimler.

Coto is waaaaaaaaaaay overrated and Braga while not in the very top, since his track record is terribly inconsistent, wrote some good shit.

16. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

No, it would have been a billion times better. nBSG is just about the biggest crap around in the history of SF (if you can even call it that), if not television in general.

17. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

wow more original ideas from ron

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Greatest, no, but moore did a helluva lot of good stuff. Coon is still the maestro, way ahead of everybody else vying for second place.

Now if you're talking about greatest writer (apart from trek) who happened to have written for Trek, then I gotta go with TOS freelancers who were legit SF writers and fantasists.

19. Plum

I believe it should be noted Ron is hired to do productions that are already studio properties. If we are lucky he will gain enough clout to one day grace us with an original work.

You know, he only started as a freelance writer on TNG. His career is going well, but he ain't Woody Allen. Come on.

20. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Well, I personally know what BSG stands for and it aint Battle Star Galactica. His work for Voyager was God awful. But he was right. Voyager wasn't true. If it was when Janeway finally got back she would have been highly commended and promptly shot for disobeying the prime directive. And can Anybody tell me why rocks and shoals was such a good episode. I thought it was the worst thing I have ever seen. The man writes character, that's it. star Trek is not a drama. Braga is the man with the ideas. Now if he only knew how to develop them. Well, he tried. Nobody is gonna beat Ellison for single standout episode. That is just a given. Best writer to me was GR himself. I don't know I just liked his ideas and way powerful writing - very Serlingish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.