Was pretty excited for this show.. but ultimately underwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dar70, May 4, 2020.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

No it was more like his soul. When the deaged Spock was growing he was still in there when they combined his Katra back to his original body after it had grown back to it's proper age putting the Katra back and combined with his body jump-started his body,mind and Katra all at once. So no it wasn't a copy. It was three different parts that hard to get back to the same place.

2. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

If you believe it was Spock's soul, it's easily as easy to believe Picard's soul was transferred as well. Honestly, functionally, there is no difference between the two.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

SolarisOne likes this.
  4. Pubert

There is a difference. Spock's was a biological function built into the biology or his species. Picard's is artificial. His mind was mapped and copied and put into a electronic brain. Completely different.

5. EnderAKH

All we are are biological machines. Same process, different hardware. And while it may have been built into Vulcans, it was NOT built into humans. There would have been no biological function built into McCoy to hold Spock's katra, so you can't say it is a function of biology. It is a metaphysical process. And if there is a "soul", there is no reason it could not have stayed attached to Picard's consciousness as it was transferred.

6. Pubert

Remember it was a copy so in reality the real Picard died and his memories were copied and transfered into the Android. The real Picard's consciousness is gone and what we now see is a new and different creature. I can't even liken it to a twin because it isn't human.

7. EnderAKH

Again... functionally no different. Will he talk, act, react and emote like Jean Luc Picard? Then what you are talking about is a distinction without a difference.

8. garakvsneelix

garakvsneelix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, I wouldn't just talk about the difference between serialised stuff and procedural stuff, but I would say, that it's harder for serialised stuff to earn rewatchebility (when it comes to the first time of watching, I also would agree Lord Gareth), because it all depends on the way the story goes and the finale:

- When a procedural has an ending, I'm not totally happy with, it doesn't have an effect an all the stand-alones between the few arc-episodes. Than I can easily 'forget' about it and enjoy the rest. I didn't like the storylines in 'Eureka', but I can still watch the episodes, because I like all the crazy technique ideas in the standalones.

- When a serial has an ending, I didn't like much, it has a great effect to all the episodes before, that lead to this ending. I just don't see the point in it. I enjoyed a lot of episodes of LOST or GoT (and they both will always have some of the best scenes/episodes ever), but since the end were such a great disapointment, I never had the motivation of a rewatch.

For me, both arcs - PIC season 1 and DSC season 2 - had a very disapointing resolution.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If he thinks he's Picard and he's played by Patrick Stewart, that's good enough for me.

10. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I wonder, how many more times does Brent want to kill Data. Will two be enough?

plynch likes this.
  11. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm just appreciating being able to see these characters again. Not to mention being aware of the fact that it might be the last time.

12. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Judging by how long this series focuses on Picard's illness, I expect they will explore his new body for only 1-2 episodes max in season 2

13. fireproof78

I hope they explore it more.

SolarisOne likes this.
  14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope so too, such as the repercussions, how his friends, etc, react to it and so on, and if there are any residual memories he has to deal with from being a Borg.

SolarisOne likes this.
  15. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

The genius of Spock’s convoluted resurrection is that it couldn’t be universally applied. Not many dead people have a healthy spare body ... until Picard made it so.

16. fireproof78

Indeed. I think it is an opportunity to explore more transhuman technological implications of current tech.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Oh my god, they killed Data!"
    "You bastards!!!"

18. Jadeb

This can be the new “Sir Patrick thinks X, so who are you to disagree?”

I’ll be sad when Shatner dies, too, but that won’t make Turnabout Intruder good.

Nenya likes this.
  19. fireproof78

You think Picard is like Turnaround Intruder?

Lord Garth and SolarisOne like this.
  20. Jadeb

No, not at all. I liked it, overall, and I’d say I’m more positive about it than many here. But I think people should be free to have their opinions without feeling some obligation to the franchise or its stars. My love for the TOS crew doesn’t mean I have to think everything they did was good.

Valin, Nenya and SolarisOne like this.