Was pretty excited for this show.. but ultimately underwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dar70, May 4, 2020.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

They had no ships and as it turns out the Romulan destroyed the shipyard. So yeah it’s not Starfleets fault.

again Starfleet never destroyed the borg. They are still a threat and will probably try assimilating earth again. But that’s ok as long as Starfleet doesn’t kill the borg assimilation is fine.

Nenya likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sense...this makes none.

Starfleet was killing to commit genocide on the Borg and ordered Picard to do so if given the opportunity. Just because they haven't doesn't make it OK.

3. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I haven't watched this Picard series so maybe I'm not qualified to say much about it.

But, I'll say that after reading things about this series and what happened in it, the only way I could have interest is if season 2 throws season 1 into the dumpster as if it never happened.

4. fireproof78

I don't see that as a fair assessment at all.

Turtletrekker and Random_Spock like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If I went by the mock outrage of people online, I'd never watch anything.

6. fireproof78

Yup..I missed out on Into Darkness in theaters because of online chatter.

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Pubert

Again is was either lose all of earth and hundreds of other worlds from the borg or do the same to them. The borg were forcing their hand. The borg were the ones that were hell bent on destroying the human race and obliterating everything. What exactly did you expect Starfleet to do. Open up negotiations? We know that wouldn’t work because the borg dont negotiate. Also the borg were a collective one mind. One queen. They we’re automatons not individuals.

Nenya likes this.
  8. Lord Garth

I think I might actually re-watch these movies over the weekend. I haven't seen the 2009 Film in nine years. And I only saw Into Darkness and Beyond once each when they were in the theater. So it's been a while.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  9. fireproof78

So genocide is ok in special circumstances? Got it.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I agree. You're not qualified to say much about it.

11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard went against Starfleet and his own feelings towards the borg to do the right thing with that borg incident. But their orders are pretty understandable too, they had no choice.

And that time Starfleet higher ups weren't just fools falling for a romulan deception, the borg were capable and motivated to assimilate everybody.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Like it or don’t like it. But don’t judge it based on what other people say about it, if you haven’t seen it yourself. Because believe it or not, most people on the internet don’t know what they’re talking about. If I just listened to a bunch of assholes on the internet, I never would have discovered how awesome The Orville is.

13. JesterFace

Let me defend myself a little by saying that I'm not basing my interest in this series by what other people think of it but by the things that apparently happened in the show. Killing some characters from TNG's greatest episodes is a big no no. Then killing two TNG main characters, even a bigger no no. I don't want to experience that because I have a suspicion that everytime I watch those older "classic" episodes, they would be kind of ruined. Knowing what 'Picard' series did with those characters is enough. I don't need anything taken away from TNG by 'Picard' series and I'm not going to risk it any time soon.
    Some say "what an idiot". From a different perspective I might be but fortunately I get to decide how to look at this situation.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

But... They didn't kill any of the greatest characters in Star Trek. Bruce Maddox? Please. Icheb? Largely forgettable supporting character. Data was already dead. And, despite what others might want to believe, Picard was not killed. He is alive and well.

Besides, Star Trek has never shied away from killing popular supporting characters in the past. Keyhlar anyone? Sarek? Kor?

Noname Given, fireproof78 and Jinn like this.
  15. fireproof78

What is ruined though? Do their adventures mean less because in the future they fall on hard times?

Because, I don't think that makes sense.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Data's second death has got to be the silliest source of nerdrage ever. He was already dead--they left him the way they found him! :lol:

17. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Basically same with Jean-Luc...

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. JesterFace

I guess we all watch Star Trek in our own way.

Bruce Maddox, he was a douche but at the same time part of one of the best episodes of TNG.
    Icheb? One of the reasons I originally thought this series might not be my thing was Voyager characters. Not a huge fan of VGR, sorry. However I am a fan of Jeri Ryans.... you know.
    K'Ehleyr and Sarek died during TNG. Death is unavoidable. It's a different thing when a character dies during a favorite series or afterwards in some weak movie or series remake attempt. (I know it's not a TNG remake but close enough to call it that)
    Data was already dead? No he wasn't in my little world. 'Nemesis' is such a poor movie, I think all TNG movies suck so I just avoid them. Maybe Trek forums aren't my place because I tend to headcanonize things quite much.

19. JesterFace

I guess killing a loved character only once wasn't enough.

plynch likes this.
  20. fireproof78

How very selective. So, watching Picard should change nothing.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  21. Lord Garth

I think someone who doesn't want to watch Picard wouldn't be posting in the forum. Especially over three months after the season finished. So interest is there. A TNG Fan who truly doesn't want to watch PIC and isn't interested in it in any shape or form would be sticking to the TNG Forum.

Guinan: Am I disturbing you?

Ro: Yes.

Guinan: Good. You look like someone who wants to be disturbed.

Ro: I'd rather be alone.

Guinan: Oh, no you wouldn't.

Ro: I beg your pardon?

Guinan: If you wanted to be alone, you would've stayed in your quarters. The only reason to come here is to be amongst people.

Ro: Who are you?

Guinan: My name is Guinan. I tend bar, and I listen.

Vger23, antinoos and Turtletrekker like this.
  22. JesterFace

Why not.

It's Jean-Luc Picard, how can I say there is absolutely no interest? But since it seems I'm no longer welcome here, this will most likely be my last post in this 'Picard' section of the forum for a while.

garakvsneelix and Nenya like this.
  23. fireproof78

I don't know? Picard was not the draw for me; the Romulans are.

But, if you are willing to ignore Nemesis why not try Picard? You can always ignore it.

24. Lord Garth

Prior to Picard, even though I'm a more of a Kirk guy, I liked Picard as a character more than the actual series he was in. The deck was stacked in Picard's favor in TNG. Now it's not. In PIC the story puts Picard into situations that test the character's metal on a regular basis, while before that only happened in TNG's best episodes. Watching a character being legitimately challenged is what makes for compelling viewing. At least from my end. Solving the mystery of the week and lecturing a backwards species we'll never see again isn't.

25. Pubert

you have just as much right to post here as anyone. We watched tng and loved it so of course we have a interest in Picard the character and hoped they would do it right. They haven’t imo so I can post that disappointment here as you can.

Nenya, Jarvisimo and JesterFace like this.