Was Deep Space Nine Politically Correct? - Precedence for Future Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ethergh0sts, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Been a fan of Deep Space 9 since day 1 and this is the first I've ever heard that Brooks and some cast members weren't getting along. Shows how professional everyone was for keeping their personal feelings separate from their working lives.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think all of them were close in the way the TNG gang was but your right in that they were very proessional. Reminds of what Dorn has said. I think he had more fun working on TNG but he felt he did his best work on DS9.

Jason

3. X24actor

X24actor Lieutenant Red Shirt

More spread out I guess. No real bridge set, so not as many scenes of all the main characters together, so different working schedules probably. There was a shot of six of the main characters at the end of Shadows and Symbols that reminded me of some TOS and TNG scenes. I can't think of any scenes with the entire main credited cast.

DeannaTroi and Armus like this.
  4. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

[​IMG]

DeannaTroi likes this.
  5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

No Worf, Jake or Quark.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

They were left behind

Vger23, Armus, Bry_Sinclair and 5 others like this.
  7. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Right, but that's pretty close. And you have two guest stars in their places.

DeannaTroi likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Quark is in that shot a few moments later. But the best example would surely have been Vic's from the finale rather than Badda Bing.

saladdays, Bry_Sinclair and kkt like this.
  9. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

So what you're saying is that Jewish people have physical noses like the Ferengi.

Maybe YOU are the anti-Semite.

10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Take Me Out to The Holosuite feature the whole cast on the field and in Quark's at the end?

11. Jayson1

Odo wasn't their until the final game as umpire. Not sure about the very end but Sisko tossing the baseball up in the air would have been a cool hook moment.

Jason

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The final scene at Quark's isn't a great one for a group gathering because you can clearly see it ain't Dorn playing Worf, it's his double. I mean, Worf is still in the scene, but you know...only sort of. :) (Same goes for Odo, if I recall correctly.)

13. Jayson1

I got to say I still think the "Badda Bing" was the best choice. It's the slow mode strut that really sales it. Not exactly the walking scene in "Resevoir Dogs" but it's still very nice.

Jason

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never noticed. I might have to get it on and take a closer look.

Its for stuff like this that we need HD DS9!!!!

Gary Mitchell and Jayson1 like this.
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

For what? X24 was musing about scenes that had the whole cast in them.

16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if most Ferengi we see on DS9 are somewhat atypical or that there's more flexibility in Ferengi society than TNG and early DS9 leads us to believe.... Late-DS9-Quark must be unusually kind and generous for Ferengi standards, Rom and Nog aren't typical, Moogie is a financial genius but doesn't appear ruthless, and even Zek has his nice sides in the end. The only "semi-regular" Ferengi that everyone (even the other Ferengi) still loves to hate at the end is Brunt- and exactly how Ferengi is he if he admits to quark that his quest for getting Quark isn't business but personal?

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Good question, we don't see a good example of what normal Ferengi believe on the homeworld.

The fact all those reforms happened over two or three years suggests that there are in fact a lot of people who don't like basically being slaves to the wealthy, just they have no power to affect change until Ishka gets in Zek's ear. They get accused of not being "Real Ferengi" just like certain politicians say some people are not "Real Americans".

Maybe that's why the anti-union laws are so strict, people in charge know for a fact people *do* feel that way and if they're given even the slightest bit of leeway they'll spread to mainstream.

kkt likes this.
  18. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Interesting thought, I've often thought the same thing about Klingons ... that all those warriors concerned with honour and such are in fact only an upper caste that grabbed power in Klingon society, and that 'ordinary' Klingons might much more like ordinary humans in their attitudes. Same story for the Cardassians.

19. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Yes. There must be some Klingon office workers and cooks (and good for DS9 for letting us see the charismatic cook in the Klingon restaurant). Something besides honor in combat must be motivating them.

20. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"No honor in cooking?! You spineless p'tahk! I shall rip out your heart and eat it!

Right after I make a nice remoulade for it."