Warner bros announce superhero films through 2020

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Color me not convinced.

Turtletrekker and crookeddy like this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The truth doesn't convince you?

Oooookay.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The truth is that WB was screwing with Snyder all along because of all the hate directed at Dawn of Justice.

4. DigificWriter

Nope.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your pathological denials of obvious things are getting irritating.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. crookeddy

Probably since the grumblings over Man of Steel - I really don't think Snyder originally intended to make the followup to Man of Steel be about the excessive violence of Superman's fight with Zod. That was reactionary.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The question is not whether WB demanded changes. Obviously, they wanted course correction. But the claim was that Snyder leaving was because of this. Seriously, the reason given is not some Hollywood-speak "creative differences" bullshit, he lost a daughter. Whatever you think of his work, it showed his commitment to JL that he even tried to go back to work immediately.

8. crookeddy

What we don't know is whether he left because of his daughter, or because he was fired and allowed to use a plausible explanation to save face. I don't know him, you don't know him, everything is possible. When it comes to Hollywood I don't believe ANYTHING. It's their job to deceive us.

9. Kai "the spy"

Again, the loss of a daughter goes beyond plausible explanation. I'm all for scepticism, but in this instance, your scenario is too cynical even for me.

F. King Daniel and crookeddy like this.
  10. DigificWriter

Snyder being forced out and the suicide of his daughter being used as the justification for his departure is only an "obvious thing" if you're a conspiracy theorist.

Otherwise, it's blatantly inaccurate nonsense.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Lobo will be the first DECU movie I will skip seeing. Zero interest in the character.

12. DigificWriter

If a Lobo movie does happen, I'd like to see Warner Bros./DC give the character a "test run" on Supergirl the same way they had Arrow "test-run" the Suicide Squad before that film debuted.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. After the release, if I care to, I can look up the obligatory superhero movie Easter eggs/post credits scenes on social media, but I could not imagine sitting through a Lobo film.

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you implying the movie division dictated that the TV writers were required to use the Suicide Squad? Every interview I recall ever reading implies the writers just tell the stories they want until the movie guys stupidly say "can't use that character. Dumb audiences won't understand the movie version is different."

15. Kai "the spy"

Well, he didn't use the word "test run", Greg Berlanti himself said they were asked to do the Suicide Squad on Arrow because of the movie.

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this whole standalone stuff is crazy....it is oversaturation and may lead to an end of it (or at least to a small drip).

I understand there can be different ways to interpret the characters...but sheesh, spread it out so that the hardcore fans, who would be willing to watch each new iteration, can watch it, and now with this age of social media , can help you do a lot of free advertising (assuming it is a good show).

Having it in the same universe draws up interest for any new projects, and keeps it going

These movies/TV shows do NOT have to have a uniting theme/plot...like the Infinity Stones with the Marvel Movies -- hey , no problem that the DC FU doesn't have an equivalent. But just give us a sense that they are in the same universe, like BvS did fairly well.

That way, if people don't want to follow an individual hero, no big deal.

yes, DC has stuff like Elseworlds...but they STILL have that MAIN universe where most of their comics reside. That universe gives you a pool of comics to interact with if you so desire.

The thing is with movies, they are so infrequent, that it IS confusing to have standalones mixed in with normal stuff. And if , say, the Joker movie bombs, people will be reticent to check out the new Batman movie, even if it has nothing to do with the Joker movie in terms of style, acting, story, etc.

Marvel has built itself up enough that standalones can work now, and possibly still be mutually beneficial in some way... like Deadpool, for example.

but DC's world is a mess...and this is coming from a fan of DC TV. And the more issues they have, the less forgiving many will be.

Anwar likes this.
  17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like the character but have zero interest in seeing Michael Bay’s take on him.

18. DigificWriter

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. They're idiots.

Marc Guggenheim:
    Yeah, I think you know as a result we've been on and off. For a time they were saying 'you can't use Deathstroke', then that changed and we were able to have Slade Wilson back on the show, and now we're back to 'you can't use him'. They're working on the feature film version, it really is sort of now that you've got obviously Slade, spoiler alert, Deathstroke appears at the end of the Justice League movie.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cin...0/arrow-apparently-cant-use-deathstroke-again

20. DigificWriter

^ Access to characters is granted and revoked on a case-by-case basis.

There is no all-encompassing prohibition on using certain characters, which had been the assumption prior to Berlanti making his comments and Marc Guggengeim stating that, as noted, character access is determined on a case-by-case basis.