Waiting for final episode before getting into 'Picard'?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JesterFace, Apr 20, 2020.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, "visual style" to me means the manner in which it's filmed, but if the complaint is about the fact that it doesn't look like the AGT future, again, there was no reason to expect that. AGT was from twenty-five years ago, and its look is very dated nowadays. The only reason DS9 and Voyager kept that look when they did future episodes was to save money, the costumes and props were sitting in storage, might as well use them. That's no longer the case, those costumes and props were sold at auctions years ago, they had to make something new anyway. Why copy a look which was designed in 1994 with the intent of looking "further in the future" when you can instead create something "modern" for a 2020 audience?

Lord Garth likes this.
  2. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Because PIC is probably watched by the 1994 audience first and foremost, and also there is nothing dated about the exact uniforms or warp effects or replicator effects (whereas it is always possible to invisibly slide into other updates such as avoiding a table covered with PADDs and people handing them out like notepads).

3. The Wormhole

The AGT uniforms are totally dated. They are quite literally someone taking the TNG uniforms and trying to "futurify" them. It worked in 1994, but that same look wouldn't work so well in 2020. The replicator effect isn't really all that different anyway, certainly not so much as to be a legitimate reason not to watch the show. The warp effect maybe that could have stayed the same, certainly The Orville uses an identical effect, but again, I can't see refusing to watch a new Star Trek just because they changed the warp effect.

NCC-73515 and saladdays like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Just because I was around in 1994 -- and in high school -- doesn't mean I still want things to look like they did in 1994.

That was my time. I'm willing to move passed it and not be frozen by it. If other people can't, that's on them. They shouldn't take it out on Picard.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    NCC-73515, saladdays and Random_Spock like this.
  5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Sure, I’d never go as far as refusing to watch a show for those reasons, but there is definitely a difference between revealing a new environment (“this is TNG era post-JJ”) and following the original one to the letter, which is when something new and unexpected happens on story level, just as Better Call Saul manages to surprise us despite its 2002+ setting designed to slide into Breaking Bad. If you can’t rely on eye candy, then everything else has to be exceptional. You can’t use sci-fi elements to distract the viewer from character, story, shot composition: every detail has to matter.

6. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

After reading all the posts that quoted me, I still think I'm right. :)
    Maybe internet is not a good place for me.

7. Lord Garth

Of course you do. You didn't want to post anything because you knew this was how everyone would respond. So that's why you hid behind, "I don't want to post anything because of spoilers!" That was bullshit and you knew it. That's why I called you on it.

The Wormhole likes this.
  8. JesterFace

Post anything? I wrote a long post earlier about what you asked.

9. Lord Garth

Only because I prompted you to. You wouldn't have otherwise.

10. JesterFace

Well, I did post it when asked, that was wrong?

11. JesterFace

This is so early new millenium, internet fight....

12. Lord Garth

You initially didn't want to and used your interpretation of board policy as a shield. "Well, I'd say what I think, but I can't because of board policy." You were using it as a fig leaf. ("No I wasn't!" Yes, you were.) Then I clarified what the policy was, so you couldn't do that anymore. Then you answered and then you saw that the chips fell where you thought they would. So you pointed to all the quotes from all the various posters and said, "I was right."

I'm all set. This will go back-and-forth indefinitely otherwise.

13. JesterFace

This nagging is getting us nowhere... but since you insist.
    Basically you want me to reply to every post separately, is that what this is all about?

14. JesterFace

Lord Garth demands so here goes....

I'm not sure either, the outcome of the series might have some effect on that.

For example, watching some character on screen and then later seeing an episode where that character possibly dies decades later somehow takes the fun out of the character / scene. Can it be the same?

Generations (weak movie) killing Kirk poops on every TOS episode and movie. Was it really necessary to kill him?

Transporting is a way to travel. Killing a character is killing a character no matter how it's twisted.

Lets not speak bad things about the passed. And its also not the topic here.

Its not about the ships or the uniforms, the general feeling on TV is different and that's understandable, it's been 20 years.

Did FC ruin BOBW? Yes. Picard telling to the Queen, "you were there always...." Right, why not use her as the way to communicate with the Federation? Nah, we'll get the flagship captain, much more menacing. Opinion coming, beware: 'Generations' movie is shit. It came around after perfect ending to TNG, 'All Good Things...' That's why I avoid 'Generations' and TNG ends with AGT.

Still, wasn't Brent going on about how they must kill Data because he can't look young forever and Data doesn't age and all that? How about a program on Data that makes him look older as time does by?

It's not about the picture size.

This was covered earlier in this post.

15. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I see where you are coming from; I just disagree with you. I think it's safe to say that my brain works entirely different than yours does with regard to this (which is fine). :)

lawman likes this.
  16. The Wormhole

So, the death of a character poops on that which came before featuring them? Did Tasha's death in Skin of Evil poop on the preceding first season?
    Well, yeah, it kind of is. Having a well known and respected public figure turned against the Federation does much to cripple their morale. Much more then "Oh, hi, I'm the Queen. You never heard of me before? No, I guess you wouldn't."
    Then what is it about?

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The AGT future was all a big Q illusion, anyway.

Kor

fireproof78 and JesterFace like this.
  18. JesterFace

You're twisting my worlds to get results that you want. Tasha died during TNG, that's different than killing a character later in another series.

About the Queen. I thought Locutus was created to make it easier for the Borg to "introduce" themselves to Earth and Federation. Borg quote from BOBW part 1: "To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a Human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice."
    For me it looked like the Borg wouldn't expect so much resistance if someone familiar to the Federation talked to them.

Everything has to be so dark on TV these days.
    I don't even remember where this discussion originated, can't say much more on that.

19. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont think that was ever intended, I mean all the characters treat it more like time travel and it wasnt an elaborate fantasy like the robinhood thing. The differences come down to the timelines diverging imo

20. JesterFace

Picard and maybe others too treated the future timeline as the timeline they believed would eventually happen, at least until Q showed up, maybe after that too.

21. Lord Garth

Then the Enterprise-D was destroyed in Generations and Troi was still alive five years after "All Good Things" in Insurrection... and the script for Generations was written in the summer of 1993, which was before "All Good Things".

Some people forget where the 24th Century was when things left off and only look at TNG. But it continued on in the TNG Movies and on DS9 and VOY. And the tiny, tiny little glimpse we got from the 2009 film. Picard just picked up the last things we knew about the 24th Century and went from there.

Hell, the whole point of the last scene in "All Good Things" at the poker table was that we find out Picard told the crew what happened so they could prevent it from happening at all. Except for Picard's brain defect, that's what ended up happening.

Riker & Troi --> Got back together in Insurrection and married in Nemesis.
    Data --> Died in Nemesis.
    Picard --> He was in much better health in 2399 than he was in the AGT version of 2395. Probably because since he knew so far in advance, he could take precautions to slow or lessen the effects of the defect even if he couldn't get rid of it.

Geordi --> We'll see.
    Worf --> We'll see.
    Crusher --> She wasn't even mentioned in the first season of PIC. She's the wild card.

But I think even as "All Good Things" was being written it wasn't intended as the future future, since Generations was already written. Just a possible future. And Picard cherry-picked what they thought would work best for them in the "real" 2390s.

On October 21st, 2015, I had a bunch of friends over to watch Back to the Future, Part II because that's the day Doc & Marty arrived to 2015 in the film. We got a big kick out of comparing the movie's 2015 to the real 2015. We didn't go around complaining "This 2015 isn't like that 2015!" (not seriously anyway) And this was the same type of thing. I got a kick out of seeing how the Picard version of 2399 -- the Official Canon 2390s -- was different from the hypothetical one in "All Good Things". That's the spirit I took it in. Not "Oh! I'm going to find everything wrong with it because I don't want to like it! I don't wanna! Poo! Poo!"

22. The Wormhole

But Data died in a TNG movie and you think that poops on TNG.
    Exactly. So what's the problem with the Queen?
    Assuming you mean the lighting and you're not talking tonally, yeah, I get how that can be annoying. But Picard still has some brightly lit locations, like the vineyard or the Synth world. Even the sets that are dark, like the La Sirena or the Borg cube aren't so dark that it's impossible to see things.

Regardless, as annoying as dark sets can be it's still a pretty weird reason to refuse to watch a show.

23. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

So the only way for you to enjoy any movie or TV show is that no character ever dies. Good luck with that XD

Picard traveled to the Data simulation, then traveled to his new body. What's the difference to traveling into a nebula and the ship's circuits? Do you regret watching WOK, since it pooped on all of TOS?

Your topic is: characters getting killed poops on all previous episodes. That's what I read at least...

Only a human can bridge the gap. She wasn't human.
    Did Relics ruin TOS? Did If Memory Serves ruin The Cage?

He actually can age in appearance (TNG Inheritance).

Did BTTF2 and 3 ruin 1? Did Aliens ruin Alien? Did T2 ruin T1? Did Alien 3 and Prometheus ruin Alien or Aliens? Did T3-6 ruin T1-2?

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  24. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup.
    Well, I hear people complaining about resolution and image quality to not watch older things.
    Indeed.

25. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I got so excited as 4:29 got closer... I actually managed to be up in the air when they arrived (Sears/Willis Tower), got the USA Today several times the next day, went to the Twin Pines Mall 3 days later, then got close enough to Mill Valley, CA to see it written on buses 2 days after that XD

Lord Garth likes this.
  26. The Wormhole

Ah, well, about that...

27. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  28. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Matrix 2 and Matrix 3 absolutely ruined The Matrix