Waiting for final episode before getting into 'Picard'?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JesterFace, Apr 20, 2020.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

My favourite series is TNG and by the time I got into it, 'All Good Things...' had already aired, maybe years before?
    The entire series was already out there, ready to be discovered through VHS in the 90s.
    I was thinking, would it be a good idea to get into 'PIcard' in the same way. So far I haven't watched the series, apart from few trailers. I was thinking that maybe I should wait until the entire 'Picard' series is out there before getting into it. I would know what to expect. Not all the details, but the general feeling of the show.

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't recommend waiting until the whole series is out there. It would mean waiting without knowing when the show is finally over.

Waiting for a whole season to be concluded is another matter. Picard has changed, but kept many of his manners and some new great characters are added, together with some familiar faces.

Now it's up to you when to get into it!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    lawman, Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Don't think of it as a television show with 30 episodes. Think of it as a trilogy of 10 hour movies. The first movie is complete.

4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you wait till TUC was out before you started watching the movies? XD

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like an arbitrary idea. If you're interested in watching it, you should watch it. Waiting 2-3 years puts you at considerable risk of spoilers.

TNG was a different animal because there wasn't a story arc to spoil.

Felderburg and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking as someone who missed a lot of things because I wanted to wait until it was done I would say if you want to watch then just watch it.

7. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And there is no cliffhanger at the end of the season, so I don't see a reason ro wait.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get waiting until the end of a season and binge watching it. I wouldn't do it, but I get the mentality. But waiting until the series ends, when you know that's going to be a few years at least? I really don't see the point there at all.

Turtletrekker and fireproof78 like this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm looking at it from the opposite angle: I never watched a Star Trek series from start to finish as it was airing.

TNG --> 1991-1994 (didn't discover 'til mid-way through)
    DS9 --> 1994-1999 (stopped watching at the beginning, didn't look at it again until TNG ended)
    VOY --> 1995-1999 (made it all the way up to the start of the sixth season, then I stopped watching)

Depending upon which one ends first, Discovery or Picard will be the first Star Trek series where I actually do watch it from start to finish. And I want to watch them all the way through. Getting to anticipate what happens next, hashing it out, thinking about what its merits are since I have to defend them if I'm posting here, talking to people I know IRL about the latest episode or season... The experience is completely different once the series is over.

lawman, NCC-73515 and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I say watch it now. Why wait? Who knows what may happen on the globe in the next 3-4 months with the current state we're in.

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  11. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

If you wait, you will get fewer opportunities to discuss this season of the show. Sure, there will always be threads on things related to the show far beyond the run of Picard, just like the other forums on here, but there's never going to be as much active participation as there is right now. If that matters at all to you, you definitely should not wait.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd say give it a shot now. You've got a nice, self-contained season that is currently the entire show. When or if additional seasons will be coming has been thrown into doubt by the pandemic.

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. JesterFace

This is news to me. Might the entire series be at risk?
    I wonder, how does Patrick and rest of the crew feel about continuing the show much later than anticipated? But I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

14. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

It’s better for story connections to watch a series when it’s all done… if you can wait that long as a Star Trek fan and avoid spoilers by taking little to no interest in the show. I happened to postpone almost all of ENT and much of VGR by more than a decade, by which time I could fill in the gaps comfortably via Blu-ray and Netflix. Forum discussions aren’t an issue because even basic questions tend to be asked over and over again with rare desire to research past threads or wikis before opening a thread on a new note. What’s likely to be missing are hype-me-up topics like “Will Person A go by the name Person A?” (I mean seriously, will they? Or won’t they? If not, why wouldn’t they? Let’s have a five-page thread while we count down the weeks.)

15. Lord Garth

If you want to watch it, just watch it. Besides. With what's going on, you might as well.

People I know have died from COVID-19. The way I see it, don't put off until later what you can do now. There might not be a later. I've been doing a bunch of stuff on the side, taking care of things at home, because in my mind, I think, "might as well do it now". That's my outlook. Don't live for tomorrow. Live for today.

lawman, Nyotarules and NCC-73515 like this.
  16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the second season was supposed to begin filming right now, but has been postponed until after the pandemics clears. As for the rest of the series, aside from the obvious domino effect season 2's postponement will have, it's too early to really comment on the matter at all.
    I imagine any disappointment they might have on the matter is mitigated by the knowledge that it's better to film the show at a time when it's safer to be out and about than it currently is.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. NCC-73515

Lord Garth likes this.
  19. JesterFace

This message and the video @NCC-73515 linked above happened at an interesting time, I just finished watching VGR and 'Death Wish' where a member of the Q continuum wants to end its existence.

To the PIC series I'll say that I lost a lot of my, if not all, interest after I learned what happens with Picard and Data in the final episode of the first season. (<< that's not a spoiler, right?)
    I wanted to know more about this series before getting into it and now.... who knows what might happen in upcoming episodes but expectations are low. That's not a problem though, I still love TNG. :)

NCC-73515 and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Lord Garth

Well, they plan for three seasons with enough story for four. But as long as Patrick Stewart can do it, they'd be foolish to stop it. With respect to Discovery, I think Picard is probably very likely CBSAA's #1 series. So, hopefully... I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of Picard in the middle of the decade. ;)

lawman likes this.
  21. JesterFace

If by "you" you mean me, I must admit, I'm curious about the series and I maybe I'll eventually watch it. Depends on what happens in the series. I kind of want to know before going into it so that's why I searched few things that happened in the first season. So far I haven't watched it partially because it would mean ordering new channels and perhaps different channel combinations. I'm not even sure if those channels offer anything else interesting so I haven't bothered. Right now I'm focusing on avoiding covid-19 and preparing for the upcoming TNG summer. Best of TNG marathon coming. :)

22. NCC-73515

Ask us anything.

The Picard part was a little too non-relevant (XD), but the Data part was brilliant.

JesterFace and Turtletrekker like this.