Voyager Wasted a Plot...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JB2005, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

In Lifelines, there was a throwaway line by Admiral Hayes (who looked surprisingly vibrant for a dead guy - and come on, why Admiral Hayes? I'm pretty sure that Admiral Paris has taken Voyager under his jurisdiction by now, what with him assuming command of Pathfinder) that was "We have dispatched 2 Deep Space Vessels to rendezvous with you, with any luck they should meet you in the next 5-6 years...

And that was it, no one ever mentions it again, for example in Author Author when they establish contact with Earth, would it have been too out of the way for Janeway to contact those ships and...oh i don't know...thank them for their commitment to Voyager that they're willing to put their lives on hold for 3 decades to come and rescue the ship...

I know it was a throwaway line, but it seems so stupid that the writers were introducing this premise, only to discard it...

2. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

That wasn't the only one. There was a line from the Borg Queen about seeing Harry later (I think it was in "Collective") and a line from Janeway about seeing the Vaduaar again (in "Dragon's Teeth"), just to mention a couple more. I agree that someone should have cashed in on these plots.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the Borg Queen was just messing with Harry's head... I :lol:'d when I heard it.

4. JB2005

There were so many good plot points that were just thrown out there and never heard from again. Presumably because of the network's insistance that the show needed to be able to be shown out of order...

I'm sorry but would a 30 second - 1 minute "Previously on Star Trek Voyager" have really messed with our heads that much?

"Previously on Star Trek Voyager"

For example:

*We're sending you some data on a hypersubspace technology...so once a month we'll be able to receive a data stream from earth and we'll have 17 hours to respond...(etc)*

Author Author then begins as normal...

5. AuntKate

Some of these "teases" would have been better than the episodes we got. It's a shame.

6. JB2005

Indeed, if they were making Voyager today (even [or in some cases especially] with the same actors, the concept would work so much better, because shows are far more bold!)

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet if ST:XII is "bold" a lot of fans will have a herd of cows.

I think Trek needs to reboot as bold if it is to continue boldly going. ALL the series would be different if done today, actual edginess would happen.

8. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

They also wasted the Borg Baby plot.

It would have been interesting to see like Janeway adopt her.

9. JB2005

10. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Not Seven. She was too busy being perfect. Janeway's getting along in years and unlike men we have a limited time to have kids. And all it takes is holding a baby and those maternal juices start flowing, and when that happens WE NEED BABIES!

That could have been an interesting story, Janeway struggling with wanting to be a mother and being a captain at the same time.

11. teacake

I've always said Janeway was the most like Kirk and I think this is another case of it. Kirk had his ultimate woman, the Enterprise. Janeway had her ultimate maternal outlet, her crew. She would never have adopted the Borg baby, but she would have found someone on her crew who would do so, or who would at least take over the care of the baby until their homeworld wad found.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Its lines like that that leave openings for the novels!

:bolian:

13. JB2005

True, but just once I'd like to see them set up a plot and follow it through we got that with:

>Caretaker's mate, tries to kill them because...not really answered

>Hirogeon Holograms (We're 30,000 lightyears away from where we last were but...shush

>Hypersubspace Technology...which was AQ Tech, but in Author Author apparently was Harry and Seven bouncing Quantum, or something...

I just wish that when the writers seeded stories (As they obviously were) they'd then follow them up...for instance in Twisted - we've got a database full of alien maps...t

14. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Uh, Voyager wasted an entire series.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why, because the crew didn't spend every single episode going around robbing civilizations and every member of the crew didn't spend all their time secretly plotting to murder one another?

16. AuntKate

No way. The editors and writers are too busy trying to wedge all three concurrent series into one big story. *yawn*

17. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I never thought about this before, but how would those ships have the ability to travel so far in 5 to 6 years? By Season 6 Voyager still had decades left on their trip home. That being said, how would 2 deep space vessels get to them so quickly? Did they have some sort of technology that no other Starfleet vessel had? If that is the case then couldn't the Pathfinder project later relay the specs for that technology to Voyager? Not very believable!!!

18. JB2005

^ Why? This is the first time they've been in contact with earth in 2-3 years. Assume Starfleet dispatched them as soon as the Doctor got back in Message in a Bottle, by the time they rendevous with Voyager they'll have been travelling from Earth for 7-9 years. Now Voyager was about 30,000 lightyears from Earth when Admiral Hayes said 5-6 years.

So assume the two ships can go 2000 lightyears a year and Voyager can do the equivalent, that means the ships are currently 24,000 lightyears away from Voyager in 6 years they'll be rendevousing!

19. JB2005

^ Why? This is the first time they've been in contact with earth in 2-3 years. Assume Starfleet dispatched them as soon as the Doctor got back in Message in a Bottle, by the time they rendevous with Voyager they'll have been travelling from Earth for 7-9 years. Now Voyager was about 30,000 lightyears from Earth when Admiral Hayes said 5-6 years.

So assume the two ships can go 2000 lightyears a year and Voyager can do the equivalent, that means the ships are currently 24,000 lightyears away from Voyager in 6 years they'll be rendevousing!

20. teacake

While it has worked well for those avidly reading the books (Destiny was excellent IMHO) I know at least 3 Trek fans who haven't read any of the new stuff and won't read it because they feel they are just too far behind. It's clearly jumping into the middle of a very long convoluted tale and some people aren't interested in doing that. I lent one of them the first Destiny book because I think the story of Erika Hernandez is fantastic and you don't need much if any context for it. She did enjoy it but she also called me from the train to yell "What is this crap, Janeway is DEAD???" and also called me a few other times about what the Titan and Picard things.. and was pretty much lost for a lot of it.

I'd imagine it's like when I was reading Millennium and in the middle of the third one I was so confused as to what timeline I was reading about that I just gave up trying to figure it out and enjoyed the story. That was a great trilogy, might reread that some day.

Anyway.. I have lent my Trek books out to a lot of people and they usually borrow stand alone books or the first couple books in a relaunch, Avatar or Homecoming etc.. I'm wondering how much it might effect sales as far as getting new readers when a person picks up a book and sees it is part of a long story line. Another problem we have in this country is that most of the books are unavailable after they've been out for a while so to track down the whole series you have to go to ebay. It all takes rather a lot of time and investment to follow Star Trek lit nowadays.