Voyager, sorry.... what ? moments.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Lonely Man, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Warren Munson played Owen Paris in that episode. And Richard Herd played him in the later episodes, right? For a minute there I couldn't think of Richard Herd's name. They say the memory is the first thing to go...

2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The first guy who played Owen Paris was better. That was the real Owen Paris.

3. Nerubian

Nerubian Ensign Red Shirt

Just finished my rewatch.

Season 7 isnt that bad overall I dont think, its got some stinkers but some good episodes aswell.
    I really dont buy the whole Neelix had no reason to be around anymore if they were going home sentiment. The guy had utterly embraced human culture on everything from food to music to slang and mannerisms. He would of loved it in the Federation and easily found a non Talaxian romantic partner to settle with. But if they wanted him to stay in the DQ (even though its so far from Talax to be as alien as the AQ lol) and show how much he had grown it was a pretty good send off.

That end though, Admiral Janeway willing to change time and the lives of all her crew for the benefit of her own conscience. What a selfish bitch. I doubt she would of cared even half as much if the ones that died had not of been bridge crew rather some other low rank subordinates.

The Borg transwarp hub. Why does this even exist?, it's well established ships equipped with transwarp drives can go into transwarp when ever, where ever they want.
    It's a near instantaneous travel hub to the corner of every quadrant in the galaxy you say Seven?, why dont the Borg control the whole galaxy already then. This device requires another plot device to explain why the Borg haven't used it to conquer everywhere by now.

Borg adaptation being its usual dumb self. It takes 2.5 decade old Borg a couple of minutes to overcome future technology designed specifically to counter them.
    This begs the question how useful was this technology in Admiral Janeway's present?. I mean jesus it must last 5 seconds before becoming useless by the once again silly logic -

WE ARE BORG
    Step 1: Problem
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Adapted

I think the only time a realistic problem was shown for the Borg was Unimatrix Zero. That had been around for years maybe decades before they managed to destroy it.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  4. Nerubian

Oh and ofc Species 8472 but that's kind of different.

They couldn't assimilate the aliens themselves or their bio ships but their weapons, power sources, propulsion systems would still follow the laws of physics in our universe so why they didn't pull the usual trick of adapting against them very quickly was never addressed.

5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8472 had some kind of death star weapon. Maybe there are some things that you can't adapt to. What kind of shield can stop a weapon that can blow up planets..

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

The Borg found one of those exhaust shafts?

Jedman67 likes this.
  7. Prax

What would be the exhaust shaft on a "living" ship?:crazy:

8. Nerubian

I hesitate to go here but, the anus?.

9. Prax

I hesitate to reply

10. manuel

manuel Ensign Red Shirt

There was a show like that: Stargate Universe. And it sucked...
    The constant conflicts between the scientists and the military made most characters of the show really unappealing

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Lynx and Tracy Trek like this.
  11. Lynx

"Sucked" is an understatenment.

They actually spent the whole first season arguing and bickering over everything possible and nothing really happened, except for those episodes where those blue aliens showed up. They were the only ones worth watching in that series.

I'm really happy that Voyager never became like that. What happened on Voyager was actually logic where Starfleet and Maquis realized that both crews had to cooperate in order to get home.

Maybe that's why Voyager managed to get home and the Stargate Universe crew didn't. :D

Tracy Trek likes this.
  12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I remember the Stargate forum back when Stargate Universe was on, with folks whining about the teen angst.

13. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the first season and I just couldn't get through it. The underlying chain of command should have been resolved by the end of the first episode, with conflict between people after that being more normal and no teen angst.

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I felt that SGU got better as the second season wore on. The military and scientists did finally gel as a crew. According to the show-runner, season 3 would have introduced more descendants from that alternate timeline where they were sent back in time. The plan was to have Eli fix his pod and to have them all thaw out at the next galaxy only to find it teeming with humans as part of antagonistic empires that wanted the Discovery for their own purposes, ancestors be damned.

15. Lynx

I actually watched most of the Stargate Universe episodes but the only reason for that was that it became a joke between me and a SF-interested relative.

I watched 4 or 5 episodes in the beginning before I gave up on it, or at least I thought I had given up. But I found out that a relative of mine was watching it as well and admittet that he had fell asleep on two occasions while watching it, then it became a joke between us and then I just had to watch it to be able to have this debate about how bad it was. :lol:

As for the series, I did find the characters downright horrible. The only one I did like was that crazy scientist played by Robert Carlyle. Mostly because I like Carlyle who is an excellent actor but also because Carlyle unfortunately is a dead ringer to a total idiot which worked on the same place as I some years ago. That made the scenario a bit funny because I always imagined my former co-worker as the guy in the series.

Worst was the female leader for the "civil faction" on the ship. If I had been Captain instead of the spineless excuse for a Captain they did have on that ship, I would have told that faction leader: "Either you stop your sabotaging and instigating or I will throw you out of the nearest airlock."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  16. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched "Course: Oblivion" (5x18), which was a sequel to "Demon" (s4), this last Sunday and I have to admit that there were a lot of "Sorry...what?" moments:

(As a reminder, in this episode, all real characters are replaced by mimetic alien for the biggest part of the episode). So, this is:

- How Tom Paris 2.0 can be a Lieutenant in this episode, while "Thirty Days" was already aired, episode in which the real Tom Paris was demoted to Enseign?

- How Harry Kim 2.0, who still is an Enseign (even in this episode, the rank of Enseign stick on the skin! :whistle:), can act Capitain after the death of all commanding officers known? I mean, on all survivors, don't tell me that there was any Lieutenant aboard, being able to resume the command! Anyway, I notice that it was the second time where Harry took command of a vessel, the fist time, he commanded a Kraylor vessel, wanting to show to Janeway, that he was able to command after spending the past four years as an Ensign on board Voyager. Result: even if he managed to return the ship to its homeworld, his behaviour as an acting capitain was rather erratic , showing himself, arrogant and authoritarian/bossy to the point that Seven was obliged to put him back in place to him before that he recovers! -> I dare to believe that he will have taught to better manage his crew when he will be ranked Lt Commander and later Captain! :whistle:)

- Seven catches B'Elanna Torres's bouquet. Does it mean that producers & scriptwriters felt forced to find her a lover before the end of the series?! :rolleyes:

:techman: :
    - Torres speech at the time of her wedding vows to Tom Paris were sweet!
    - Seven's comment after to have got the B'Elena's bouquet : "I fail to see the benefit of monogamous relationships." then ""If you mean remain open to social situations with a wide variety of individuals, then yes (I want to stay single)" then "I do not wish to be dependent on anyone. By marrying one limits, one's romantic interactions to a single individual, a circumstance which implies extreme monotony." -> Be careful, Chakotay! ;)

17. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Tom's demotion happened after they were duplicated. The copy of Tom never experienced the events in 30 Days which led to his demotion so duplicate tom is still a Lt.

Harry was in charge because he was the most senior officer remaining. That's how the command structure works. Being a bridge officer and a department head makes him next in the chain of comand before any non bridge lt. So let's say that janeway, chakotay, tuvok, tom and belanna are unconscious, harry would be the most senior officer on voyager because he is a bridge officer even though there are people with higher ranks.

And i think seven catching the bouquet was just a funnny moment with no deeper meaning

18. Prax

I have a semi....what? moment from "Course: Oblivion."

In the Season 5 episode "Timeless," the Voyager crew attempt to successfully adapt the Slipstream® technology that they acquired in the season 4 finale "Hope & Fear."

The silver blood crew are also adapting a Slipstream® drive; but they were created, and parted ways with the real Voy crew a few weeks before "Hope & Fear."

So they must have acquired it somewhere else, but it might have been nice for "Demon" to happen after.

19. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

The copies created an "enhanced warp drive" theu didn't call it a slip stream drive. So I always assumed they were differrnt things.

The slip stream drive was something they built so even if the copies also had a slip stream drive it would still make sense.

20. Nerubian

Course Oblivion was a stupid concept all around.
    It was just a plot device to do a what if scenario and the writers probably thought they were being clever doing it outside of the usual dream sequence etc trope.

So that stuff can copy literally everything, every myriad element and alloy including anti matter the entire ship is made up of. Even eletronic data like the computer OS, database and human mind/memory aswell.
    Even if this miracle substance could copy any physical matter the crew would be blank mindless clones and the ship would have hardware and no software to run it.

I know im nitpicking a literary device. I was just annoyed about the forced seconds too late meeting of the two ships at the end. Way too contrived.