Voyager Hate

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Janeway’s Girl, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not by definition, of course not but all people, ST fans, SW fans, ST & SW fans and fans of neither can be at times anti-intellectual. Human nature. Emotionalism wins over thought more often than not. It does seem that comment boards on the internet, whether here or Facebook or CNN or anywhere else, where comments and/or discussion is allowed, inevitably attract and succumb to a level of anti-intellectualism simply because people get extremely passionate about their opinions.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it is easy to have a knee-jerk, emotional response, to an opinion you hold very dear and feel the desire to ride out to defend it on the battlefield called the Internet.

It sometimes bears reminding that the words on the page were written by other human beings who have feelings too. Also, it bears reminding that no one has all the answers either.

ENT is probably the one were you could see the difference between it and the other shows. I think the ratings reflect that fact too. Thank you for sharing :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

A lot of it has to do with the subject of some of the threads. I've seen about five Tuvix threads so far, and have been here less than two years. After seeing all the TOS episodes in the 1960s, there's very little new that gets into play, especially if someone just discovered "Spock's Brain" yesterday and wonders if anyone else has seen it.

If the subject doesn't interest people because they've discussed 20 times already, or as recently as last week, you can't expect them to be actively engaged all the time.

4. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked parts of Voyager but I feel like I can sum up the problems with it, and why people dislike it/hate it.

It had so much potential with the concept and the characters, but they pissed it all away.

Instead of telling a dark tale about a divided crew of people who absolutely despise each other, with a captain who's stranded her crew light years from home, doing everything in their power to get back home, their morals sometimes coming into conflict as they discover new friends, foes, and worlds, it was TNG with less cast chemistry.

5. JeffinOakland

exactly...you said what I said but you said it better

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You missed the point. He wasn't saying that there is anything inherently "anti-intellectual" here, but that your comment doesn't relate to the subject of the thread except as an attempt to derail it. If you really wanted to discuss hunger, poverty, war, crime, or disease there are threads on the TrekBBS forums that address those topics. I would start with the Miscellaneous forum for more apropos topics to your interests.

7. Melakon

I never hated Voyager. Disappointed with some of the episodes? Yes, but it never turned into hate for the show.

8. JeffinOakland

I think you missed both our points. Read from the beginning.

9. fireproof78

I agree with you to a point. It did not have to be a dark tale, though it could have darker elements, such as the disagreement between the two crews, even as they come together against a common enemy. This isn't even a new style of story. Starship Troopers was a book about a young man becoming a leader and part of it was his, and the rest of his platoon's, uniting against common enemies, from platoon sergeants, to giant Bugs.

I think you make a good point regarding the lack of proper use of what had the potential to be a unique foray in to the Trek universe.

Thank you for the compliment. It is appreciated :cool:

10. Melakon

Lecturing a commenter as if they have a comprehension problem is not good form here.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for Anwar, but I wasn't arguing emotionally.

...Well, maybe exasperation, but certainly nothing stronger than that.

12. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I sometimes wonder if individuals on those articles comment sections, or forums actually behave and communicate like that in their day to day life.

13. fireproof78

This is doubtful due to a variety of factors that involve psychology of people and personal perception. In real life, there is the risk of social stigma and social norms that, if violated, result in negative responses by others in a way that is more tangible than online.

Online, there is what is called the "anonymous" factor, where the social consequences of negative behavior are distanced and do not directly impact personal life. If a discussion becomes too painful or frustrating, I can shut the computer, walk away and never touch that thread again. In real life, I have to deal with difficult conversations all the time.

The other aspect is the fact that we don't see other posters as people. There is a distance factor that comes in to play because there is no face, no voice, to associate with the words. The words also can be interpreted as very negative, and even hostile, due to a lack of vocal or facial cues. So, offense can start easily and spread very quickly.

Also, as someone else posted, we humans can be very defensive of our opinions, and online is no exception.

That is a long response to say, people behave differently online ;)

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Except the Feds and the Maquis DIDN'T despise one another, and the Captain didn't strand them on a whim (the Array wasn't a truly viable option in the first place).

VOY's situation was NOT a new or unique one, it was something TOS and TNG had both done before and more than once. It's actually an inherently limited premise, not good for more than 2 seasons.

The premise also keeping them from fleshing out their surroundings didn't help matters.

Or the audience writing off the series as a total failure 20 minutes into the first episode.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Apart from the first episode telling us they did. Their not following through on that premise doesn't mean they didn't at the start.

You've convinced yourself this opinion is a fact. Still not a fact however much you repeat it.

You can't imagine it, none the less they did whether or not you're satisfied with the effort doesn't make your assertion a fact.

Except for all those folks who stayed with it.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Nothing in DS9 or TNG suggested that the Feds and Maquis really hated one another, and aside from a couple of Maquis members being sourpusses in "Caretaker" most of them in VOY didn't hate the Feds either nor did the Feds hate them.

As for the Array, being brought to the Array killed people and damaged the ship. Going back that way would've killed people too.

Where No Man Has Gone Before, Where No Man has gone before, Star Trek V and I'm probably forgetting others.

"No Support", remember? And if they did want new aliens and new surroundings they shouldn't have gotten PO'ed when anything new stuck around for more than one episode!

To heckle it, maybe. And those who were trying to enjoy it over the blathering from the Haters.

17. Melakon

Believe it or not, Anwar, not every Voyager fan who liked or disliked the show was active on the internet in those days. Though maybe those people aren't counted as fans in your book.

18. Gov Kodos

Strawmen, opinions, and baseless assertion. No, though you'll keep repeating them like a broken record, they still will be only your empty opinion, not fact.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The only thing empty is your rebuttal. You haven't refuted anything I've said aside from saying it's just conjecture.

20. Gov Kodos

That's all it is. The show worked, it still plays on TVs around the world, sells videos on Amazon and other websites, and in stores, folks buy novels long after it went off the air, not to mention toys, posters and what not, all in spite of your opinion vainly trying to masquerade as fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.