• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers VOY DOC: To The Journey | Rating and Review

To The Journey * Updated Poll Options Below as of 07AUG26 *

  • 10 - Excellent!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've received the documentary physical discs and my opinion of the project has improved.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    24
My copy arrived today. Looking forward to watching through everything once and… probably putting back on the shelf until the next time I feel like a Trek documentary marathon, which ain’t often.
 
I've gone from almost forgetting I ordered it to almost forgetting I have it. I think I need to forget more of it before I watch it again. Maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise this time.
 
Perhaps one big issue I have is that they had any people together in the same room like they did in the DS9 doc. I guess maybe they don't do conventions together like the DS9 cast, there wasn't really an opportunity (they say that the cruise was the only time the cast was together), but it loses a lot from having very little back and forth.
It was Covid times. No conventions happening.

We got video chats with the stars instead. I chatted with Tim Russ for 4 minutes and with Kate Mulgrew for 2 minutes. All the way over here in Germany.

It was the best thing ever and way longer you get at an ordinary autograph table. Wish they would continue for those who are too ill to travel or too broken.
 
It was Covid times. No conventions happening.

We got video chats with the stars instead. I chatted with Tim Russ for 4 minutes and with Kate Mulgrew for 2 minutes. All the way over here in Germany.

It was the best thing ever and way longer you get at an ordinary autograph table. Wish they would continue for those who are too ill to travel or too broken.
I have no idea about the timeline of the filming of the movie, but I guess the Star Trek Cruise might have been the one big thing they filmed before everything shut down. I was surprised they didn't capture the whole panel, unless it's already up on YouTube somewhere.

I didn't think about people still doing meet and greets during that time - definitely sounds neat and better than a cameo video at least.
 
I have no idea about the timeline of the filming of the movie, but I guess the Star Trek Cruise might have been the one big thing they filmed before everything shut down. I was surprised they didn't capture the whole panel, unless it's already up on YouTube somewhere.

I didn't think about people still doing meet and greets during that time - definitely sounds neat and better than a cameo video at least.
Definitely! While you can do a Cameo for yourself, it feels odd to tell them specifically what to say. A chat is better. You even got the video afterwards to keep.

I remember Tim Russ telling me that he has been to Germany many times, but as I was not a fan yet at the time I begged him to come back and I met him in person just this May!

There were also video chats for the documentary crowdfunding, but those were group chats with like 20 people or so.

I know the timeline well as I started watching Voyager for the very first time in February 2020 and it is what kept me sane with all the bad news around. If they were filming at that cruise, it must have been before announcing the documentary. The announcement was a year later.
 
I watched the documentary on the Blu-ray this weekend. My thoughts are similar to what has been posted before in this thread. The documentary is decent to good when it focuses on the show. My overall impression was a 6.

I had some issues with the subtitles and menu authoring that were not present in the WWLB documentary, so they may have had someone less experienced doing the work this time around.
 
I've seen a lot of people say they won't back a 455 Films project again, myself included. And I can't help but think this has turned out to be true. Their latest, "Makeup Man: Michael Westmore" has so far only raised $14,500 of the $100,000 they're asking for.

Obviously the subject matter is more niche, but still.

A Westmore doc does interest me, generally speaking. But with their lackluster VOY doc, their complete flop regarding communication over the last few years, and their growing reliance on Ai (both for promo images and material in the actual VOY doc itself) I think I remain good with sitting this one out.
 
I assume we've all been getting donation requests from them being that we supported the VOY Doc and I agree that the Westmore documentary does interest me. The VOY Doc was the only 455 film I've ever supported. It'll be the last.
 
I assume we've all been getting donation requests from them being that we supported the VOY Doc and I agree that the Westmore documentary does interest me. The VOY Doc was the only 455 film I've ever supported. It'll be the last.
I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've heard about the Westmore doc. No offense to him, but I'm not interested in another go-round with the 455 folks.

The worst part is that I likely never would have backed TTJ in the first place if WWLB hadn't been such a good experience with what I consider a fine end product to show for it.
 
If you bought the VOY doc digitally but not physically, check your email...

Hello,

We have something new for you!
When you purchased the Digital Edition of To The Journey: The Star Trek Voyager Documentary, you received digital access to the feature film. Our Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack also includes over 2½ hours of special features, and we want our Digital Edition purchasers to have access to that content as well, at no additional cost. You can now watch the Digital Special Features here!

PASSWORD: 123xCgHfaKePAsSwOrd784

PLEASE NOTE: This link is for your personal viewing only, so please don’t share or forward it. We greatly appreciate your help in protecting the film and this special content. Additionally, your Special Features log-in is different from your feature film log-in. Please use the log-in information provided for the Special Features. Your existing feature film access and log-in remain unchanged. We hope you enjoy exploring even more of the stories, interviews and material from To The Journey.

Thank you, as always, for supporting the documentary and helping us make this journey possible. Best, The To The Journey Team 455 FIlms

P.S. And there's even more to come! Our separate Bonus Special Features collection, featuring another 3½+ hours of content, will be available for digital purchase soon. We'll share more details once it's ready.
Fair play to them, a nice thing to do.
 
P.S. And there's even more to come! Our separate Bonus Special Features collection, featuring another 3½+ hours of content, will be available for digital purchase soon. We'll share more details once it's ready.
Of course they had to end with this. Yet another extra bonus footage cash grab. :lol:
 
Of course they had to end with this. Yet another extra bonus footage cash grab. :lol:
Is that saying that the extra disc that they wanted additional money for will be available as a digital option? If so, I don't recall them mentioning that detail at the time they were promoting the disc?
 
I do believe that is what it means and that no was not an option at the time. I guess it makes sense to release it digitally. My distrust of streaming services would have caused me to opt for the disc anyway.
 
I do prefer disc to digital, but if, for instance, the disc costs $15 but the digital costs $5, then they're effectively screwing over anyone who chose to get the disc but would have been content with the digital. Even if they're the same price, it's possible some people would have made a different decision, unless everyone who bought the disc gets the digital for free (possible!).
 
Last edited:
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top