Spoilers Voq Theory (graphic/violent)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Captain Captain

Was't the last episode of ENT basically a "Surprise, the last few years were all Riker's fan fiction, loosely based on historical events?"

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

More like "hero of era X has access to detailed recordings of heroes of era Y", combined with "finds some of the old stuff quaint and surprising", as opposed to "reimagines the past to his own liking because he can".

And even there, the story specifically emphasized that all the old stuff really happened (sort of preempting those fan ideas that Kirk's TOS episodes were entertainment written and shot on the basis of some real adventures by the real Kirk).

If anything, I would have expected "TATV" to reimagine TNG, but it never did.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ No. Only the actual final episode was the holodeck program.

4. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

"Catspaw"
    "Threshhold"
    "Assignment: Earth"
    "Code of Honor"
    "Force of Nature"
    "These Are the Voyages"

[​IMG]
    We do not speak of these things to outsiders.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Could Tyler be a Quch'ha we have not seen?

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

No because they said in the episode he was surgically altered.

Fans have done that, not people working on the show.

No.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

But they only look human internally they may have Klingon organs and nonhuman structure.

8. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you sure? "Assignment Earth" definitely qualifies. Apart from being a generally horrible episode, I the implications of Gary Seven's EXISTENCE are wholly incompatible with literally everything that ever happened after that.

9. Tuskin38

Well a handful of novels have involved Gary Seven and his organization, so some people haven’t forgotten.

He isn’t incompatible at all.

10. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

In what way?

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Commodore Commodore

Everything on screen is canon, including "Threshold" and "Let He Who Is Without Sin", even though I wish they weren't. Fortunately DSC will never have to address those episodes. Why bother with Warp 10 when you have Spore Drive? And Worf isn't even born yet to ruin the fun on Risa.

I like "Assignment: Earth".

12. Lord Garth

Klingons in DSC have such huge craniums which presumably contain large brains. Larger than humans.

Was Voq lobotomized into Ash?

Half his brain would've had to have been carved out.

Trefayne likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

Their brain might not take up the whole skull.

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. Lord Garth

A fortified brain is a protected brain in battle.

Rhodan likes this.
  15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

DSC is a soft reboot (/"visual reimagining") of the Prime Universe. Just like the Kelvinverse.

16. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If any of you saw After Trek, after Trek, you will have seen the writers still being cagey about the Tyler - Voq connection. Why was this? I thought the theory that Tyler was Voq was pretty much spelled out in the episode (the prayer supposed to awaken the sleeper agent but somehow failing).

Were the writers bluffing us, is the Voq theory a red herring? Is it a double bluff, the Voq theory is correct but they're keeping us hanging?!

17. Tuskin38

It's still the prime universe though.

18. Lord Garth

I'll have to watch it. I meant to, then just didn't. I'm not doing anything right at moment, just sort of cleaning around the house, so I might as well put it on right now. Thoughts to follow.

19. yenny

yenny Captain Captain

They're both Tyler and Voq. The preyer suppose to cause Voq to take over control of Tyler body and Tyler is fighting back and not allowing it.

20. Lord Garth

Ugh. I'm watching After Trek right now. L'Rell is a great character. Don't get me wrong. But the most well-drawn female Klingon character? Sorry but that was B'Elanna Torres. If "Lineage" from VOY's seventh season doesn't sway you, I don't know what will. Though, maybe they didn't see it, don't remember it, or wanted hype up DSC.

Torres was a character I actually related to more than Spock. She's half-Human half-Klingon and wanted to play down the half-Klingon. I'm half-American half-Iranian and have wanted to downplay the half-Iranian. It's not easy growing up in a society that views "your people" as an enemy. It's also not easy whenever you're surrounded by "your people" and you don't feel like you have anything in common. A lot of people who grow up in a dual-culture will run into this.

Maybe you could say L'Rell is the most well-drawn full Klingon.

But anyway, on with listening to this installment of After Trek. They're talking about how it's clear L'Rell had a plan that went horribly wrong.