Villains you'd prefer not to see again

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by worf1965, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

"He's really let himself go"

The Nth Doctor and Jinn like this.
  2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about this question and maybe the master. Missy was good enough but was used quite a bit. A nice break would be welcome.

As for a Villain I want to see again, what about some of the villians from season 3 or the Vashta Nerada again (I only bring them up because I was on a bit of a River Song kick on YouTube last night). Also and this is only a vague memory, but the guys that look like Rhinos. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Jinn likes this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Zygons came back as fanservice. For decades everyone wanted to see them back. As with the Wirrn, the people drooling "We need to see them again!!!1!!11!!!!!1111!2", when asked why?, don't often say much. Fans of them are probably more enamored with the feel of the story but the Zygons were proven in their televised sequel that they were best as one-off monsters.

The sad reality is that the same could easily be said about the Daleks in 1964, so when they cobbled up a sequel to that, what made "Dalek Invasion of Earth" somehow work when the Zygons' second outing fell flat? Apart from Daleks having a cooler, art deco design as opposed to giant fiberglass and impractical bugs or big gooey blob things (which didn't look nearly as good in their second outing either.)

5. tomalak301

6. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

Not villains, more a police force for the Doctor to butt heads with.

7. tomalak301

Yeah I was reading more about them earlier. If Doctor Who wanted to do something along the lines of Police Brutality, they do have a footprint for it.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Weren't the Cybermen in the last episode of the last series original Mondassian Cybermen with the cloth faces?

9. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

According to Moffat, the majority of the Cybermen from his run (particularly from A Good Man Goes to War through the end of Capaldi's era) were intended to be Mondassian Cybermen. They just didn't have the budget to create all new Cyberman costumes en masse.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

Oh wow ...

Now I want to see a mashup fight between Cybermen and Borg

11. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Yeah they started removing the Cybus "C" from the suits whenever they could. I always thought it was a shame we never saw the Telos (Earthshock-onwards) cybermen in the finale, but I understand the only reason they did the Mondas ones is that they had already made costumes for And Adventure in Space and Time.

12. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Not exactly. They were reminiscent, but that might have been due to the Master's involvement. They were a Mondasian colony ship. We don't know if this is Moffatt ret-conning the precise origin of the Mondasian strain (i.e. they returned home and conquered Mondas) or if these are an offshoot that just went the same way. The Doctor even implies that, wherever there are humans, there's the potential for Cybermen if the circumstances get desperate enough (given the similarity to the Toclafane, he's not wrong).

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say that The Dalek Invasion of the Earth was a notable story at that point in the series. When I did a rewatch of Hartnell's stories in order, it really stood out. Previously, the stories had mainly been cramped, studio bound stories. You could feel the small budget. However, with Dalek Invasion, it felt more grand in comparison. There were location scenes throughout London that made it feel more real--along with the fact that it was Earth at risk. Really brought it home. It was a real stark change from the previous stories. That must've made an impression at the time.

It was a pretty good story too. But, the series tried something new with the approach in showing it.

Qonundrum and Jinn like this.
  14. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's just not obvious unless you catch the missing C.

OCD Geek likes this.
  15. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

The Daleks, the Cybermen, the Zygons - they are tolerable.

For myself, I am using this sense of the word 'villain'.

Something said to be the cause of particular trouble or an evil

With that sense in mind, I am naming death as a villain in Doctor Who. This concept, which has caused trouble for the major characters, has, with as many resurrections as there were during Moffat's run, become cheap and lost much of its potency. Death of a major character - the Doctor or one of their companions - should not be revisited for a long time.

16. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

Agreed. I never liked Missy as a character and I found her appearances in Series 10 to be a pointless waste of airtime, but that mutual murder/suicide scene was masterful. It seems unlikely that the writers can resist bringing him back for ever given how many times he's died before, but it would be nice to at least hold off a few years so that scene can stand.

Tellingly, even The Sarah Jane Adventures - supposedly the children's series - gave up on the toilet humour after one appearance.

Grrrr, I wanted to be the one to point his out!

17. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Doctor Who without Daleks would not be Doctor Who. They were there at the beginning and are equal to the Doctor as an icon.

I would give Missy the flick though.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  18. Gingerbread Demon

I like Missy so More Missy would be OK as long as it's not overdone.

I don't want Daleks back for a while

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Some Judoon were part of the Brotherhood Of Evil Mutants in The Pandorica Opens along with all the other bad guys.

20. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Missy was overdone :( She could stick her umbrella up where the sun don't shine for all I care.