News Variety Reports Robert Pattinson is the new Batman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by auntiehill, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That is the biggest thing that I really think Marvel has excelled at with the MCU, capturing the spirit of the characters and their stories, even if they change the details.

Anwar and Grendelsbayne like this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I suppose that depends on when you first encountered the characters. For me Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Wanda and Hawkeye are way off the mark. Cap pretty much hits it.

3. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Yep. I read these characters in the 70's and 80's and the MCU versions don't feel like the characters whose books I collected. Especially the ones you named. Cap is close, but he lacks the commanding presence of the Cap I read. Cap should feel more like Kirk in the "commanding presence" department.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And this right here demonstrates why "faithful adaptation" is a fool's errand in the comic book world. There are so many different iterations that being "accurate" to the "one true" nature of the character is literally impossible.

I don't go to comic book movies to see comic books photocopied on to moving pictures. And I don't read comics expecting to see a movie. They are two different mediums, and adaptations will reflect those changes. And that doesn't begin to discuss the fact that filmmakers are artists, by definition, and will bring their own worldview to the work.

I truly think that individuals are expecting a literal 1:1 replication of comic books in their films and that is just a recipe for disappointment.

Captaindemotion and Ovation like this.
  5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They're closer than the FoX-Men movies and Nolans' movies were.

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed; with Iron Man, the MCU had a narrow focus with that one alcoholic plot and made that so much of his character from the start, eventually swapping that out with dream obsession.

As you point out, Cap was as close as the MCU would ever get, which seems like dumb luck considering how off so many MCU characters were/are.

...or any of the comics I collected from earlier decades right into the eras you mention.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    fireproof78 likes this.
  7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Actually, they swapped out the alcohol with PTSD.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've gotten the impression that RDJ's Iron Man is pretty far off from the comics, but I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, and I think they've really knocked it out of the park with Tom Holland. I've read the Winter Soldier arc from the comics, and I thought they did a good job of capturing the tone, and feel of those comics and how Cap was presented in them with the movie.
    I've also read Doctor Strange: The Oath, and I thought that wasn't to far off from the movies version.
    One I'm not as sure about is the Guardians of the Galaxy, I've never read any of their comics, but I've gotten the impression that the movie version is pretty much nothing like the comics version.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's based on the characters of the recent comics version, which is a totally different cast and setting than the original far-future version (with Yondu being the only character from the original to have a major role in the movies, I think, though his character is completely different). There are some major changes to the characters, though, e.g. giving Quill a different father, having Drax be an alien instead of a human, portraying Mantis completely differently (I think), etc.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The origin isn't far off at all, the character kept the rich playboy aspect of the character, while adding "smart ass" to it. It's not a 180 at all though. I also thought Holland was the best Parker yet, but apparently some people didn't like him as Peter...

11. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

I've always felt movie Stark only differs from comics Stark in that the former wears on his sleeve what the latter traditionally hid under the surface.

Iron Man in the comics always came off as massively arrogant and cocky. He just had enough people skills to not make it obvious, but it was always lurking underneath.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I was very disappointed that Starlord did not ruthlessly murder his team-mates in his desperate quest for power.

fireproof78 likes this.
  13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Christopher

Nothing to "admit" there, since it's a normal part of the creative process to revise as you go, and to take advantage of unexpected discoveries along the way. It's good that he has this luxury to pause mid-production and take a close look at what's been shot. Shooting a film consumes all one's attention and time, and you don't always get the chance to step back and take stock of things.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking there's probably a lot of that kind of stuff going on right now with directors and writers.

17. Christopher

Yup. They aren't resting on their laurels, they're using the time to plan and refine things. A chance to step back and reassess can be a gift.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

^Fanart, I take it?

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.