Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Congrats to the American who just squeaked past the Canadian. Why did that other American crash though?

Yeah, those four athletes choked big time.

2. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

So, ice/Zamboni problems delay the start of the 500 m speed skating, on top of problems with the luge track, snow conditions (not anyone's fault), and opening ceremony malfunction. Somebody in the head office must have a huge headache right now.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So NBC barely shows the skiing event (Probably the most popular event in the olympics other than Figure Skating) and now they are doing a segment on Polar Bears. Forget the fact that this stuff isn't live to everyone in the nation, but America deserves so much better. Where is our CTV, or BBC, or Australia Channel 9 or whatever. I'm sure those channels get outstanding ratings, yet in America we're stuck with polar bears and Mary Cirello almost having a hernia on National TV because of said bears. It's sad really, but it's the only option in terms of where and how and when to watch an event that comes around every two years.

4. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to marry Alex (the Canadian who won gold). Damn, boy <3

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yea Shen and Xhao!! Bless them, they finally got their gold after 18 years. Skating at 36 and 31 years old isn't easy. They were lucky the were so far ahead after the short program, though. Still, even with that one mistake their program was artistically breathtaking. I remember them 18 years ago--so robotic. The change is astounding.

6. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Indeed. A good looking young man [/cougar] ;)

Yes, they were lovely, as were the silver winning Chinese pair :techman:

7. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

While I wanted the Russian streak to end after 2002, I do hope they have the athletic pool to begin a new one.

8. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

And again Wotherspoon disappoints. :sigh:

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

So it looks like Luongo will be starting in goal for Team Canada (against Norway). :D Brodeur will then play against the Swiss and the better goalie should then play for the rest of the tournament. Unless said goalie chokes...

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Btw. if anyone's interested, Europeans can watch livestreams of all competitions legally and in decent quality (but without commentary) here

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Thanks for the link. :)

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to be Nice to NBC on something for a change.

Their Hockey coverage is awesome. Limited Commercial Interruptions, LIVE to everyone, as long as it's on cable, and Doc Emrick has the call. The only bad thing is they still have the Olympic fanfare instead of what they did with Basketball in Bejing with the NBA on NBC theme. Kinda wish they had the NHL Game of the week theme, but that's such a minor complaint compared to everything else this Olympics has brought I'm enjoying this moment. This is how you cover the Olympics.

Oh, and I'm almost halfway through the second period, so if some spoils a goal or something, I may just get my first warning afterall with so much vulgarity. :p

13. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Watching the womens snowboard cross at the moment. :)

Sadly the Torino champion Tanja "FRIEDEEEEN!" Frieden isn't taking part. :(

14. Roger Wilco

:lol: the women's snowboard cross is funniest sport I've seen a while

15. Zulu Romeo

And it looks like Torino's showboating silver medallist Jacobellis has fluffed it in the semis by crashing into a gate... but as a little snide reference to four years ago she performed a consolatory board-grab at the end. :lol:

The Canucks will no doubt be pushing Maelle Ricker all the way in the final.

16. Trippy

Yay Maelle! She's looking more confident now that the American is out.

*prays for gold* We need another!

17. Zulu Romeo

OOH... Zoe Gillings didn't so much start as stutter to a crawl in the Small Final... Ed Leigh thinks she must have injured herself in her semi. :(

18. Trippy

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! GOLD! SQUEEEEEE!!!!

Congrats to Maelle! We have our second gold!!!

19. Zulu Romeo

Yay! Good for her after her 4th place last time. :)

I had a bad feeling when Ed Leigh described the closing stages as a "lap of honour" - the very same words he gave Lindsey Jacobellis in 2006 right before her, um, stumble. :guffaw:

20. Roger Wilco

The Canadian woman was clearly the best athlete there today, congratulations.

It was funny how the Swiss snowboarder almost fucked up winning the bronze medal though.