News Van Sprang: Leland, AI And The Borg

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Apr 2, 2019.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Mi Beratna

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:techman: :techman: :techman:

This should be pinned in every forum for every TV show and movie across all of time and space.

3. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Just be sure to get the selfie of it! :lol:

I wasn’t referring to you personally there, I was rereading a lot of posts from different folks. I certainly think misdirection is an effective writing tool, too, so I’m not making predictions myself. I just find it interesting when others have such absolute certainty against something that would be a very prequel thing to do.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's the borg then we were all right and discovery is still as predictable as season 1.

If it's not the borg then we'll be peeved off that we got this pale imitation of the borg.

Kobayashi maru.

Kitty Worrier, ITDUDE, Gonzo and 2 others like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why being a Trek producer is a very thankless job. Too much references? Oh, why don't you do something different?! Change too much? Oh, it looks nothing like Real Trek (TM pending)!

Ugh, it is frustrating to me. :brickwall:

6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It really IS the Benedict Cumber-KHAN situation again, isn't it? Like, if it is Khan, then first of all why did you thought that was a good idea, and second why did you think that's a good idea to keep a fuckin' secret? And if it isn't - then why do you cast Cumberbatch as someone called as bland as "John Harrison"? They really didn't learn a thing, didn't they?

I also have bad flashbacks to season one, when that weird "Axanar"-dude was screaming all over the internet they are shutting down his project/scam because they wanted to do their own version of a pre-TOS Klingon war. And I was like, "yeah, dude, no way, those are professional writers, no way they would warm up something stupid as that".

Still... fingers crossed. I really hope they make a comment that future Control took the nanite-technology from their own Borg database or something like that - that would be actually kind of a clever way to adress the similarity, without going full-stupid.

Kitty Worrier, Saul and Longinus like this.
  7. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stop the presses, Alec Peters was right for once.

8. fireproof78

Sure they did. They learned to keep things even tighter to the vest.

Despite my own incredibly emotional reservations regarding the Borg I do have respect and understanding for how production teams want to keep things secret. We are also giving them free press right now because of the constant chatter and reckless speculation.

Rahul and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  9. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

What does a bland name have to do with anything? There are plenty of good actors cast with bland names. Not every character has to have a highly unique name.

Rahul and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Precisely why I have conditioned myself to not care about any of that.

PiotrB and fireproof78 like this.
  11. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

That was really well done, it suckered everyone.

Rahul and Longinus like this.
  12. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Personally I don't mind either way, that being said some of the stuff in the last episode did make me somewhat suspicious.

It didn't look like the Borg just because it was green but it did sound like it and that is actually a bigger indicator than visual cues really.

@thribs does have a point, Skynet is just as possible, although Controls words in the last episode keep coming back to me.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Thinking about it, this Spring is the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the Borg. What better way to celebrate than to show us the origin of the Borg?

Saul and Gonzo like this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It is possible.

So far Control has assimilated like the Borg and sounded like the Borg.

If it acts like a Duck and sounds like a Duck...

I did have one question though, we saw Leland fall to the floor and the next time we see him he is waking up and strapped to the device in a standing position, who the hell picked him up, he could not have strapped himself in and Control could not have done it alone.

Could there be more drones or did Control fool one of the crew.

15. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cleaning bots did it.

Rahul, ITDUDE, SolarisOne and 2 others like this.
  16. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 4, EOY on Amazon. It's going to be fun with this one and Star Trek: Picard :techman:

XCV330 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

If that's what they want then fine. But, I see no reason to heap more fan wank (apparently that's a bad thing unless it's the Borg :rolleyes:) on top of what individuals are already critical of.

Gonzo and Vger23 like this.
  18. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mr. Plothole did it.

19. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, what we have is an entity taking over and possessing an unwilling person's body. That's happened several times on Star Trek without it being the Borg.

Granted, they used nanobots, but the use of nanobots is trope used by many sci-fi storytellers and isn't just a Borg thing. The Borg don't have a monopoly on the use of nanobots. You may as well hypothesize that Wesley started the Borg with his nanites, which possibly found a way to go back in time where they evolved started the Borg.

You can call it "assimilation", but it's no more Borg-like assimilation than those other non-Borg possession examples on Star Trek.

And frankly, I don't think Control has said anything that is like something the Borg would say. Do you have an example of something Control said or Control's ideas that is similar to Borg ideas?

Sure, maybe this will somehow end up being the Borg origin story, but going by what I've seen I'm not necessarily feeling it at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    SolarisOne and XCV330 like this.
  20. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well you could, but you shouldn't, because it's literally not. There's nothing to assimilate into here. I would rather words keep their meanings.

SolarisOne likes this.