News Van Sprang: Leland, AI And The Borg

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Apr 2, 2019.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Alan van Sprang portrays Section 31’s Leland, and in a recent interview with Star Trek.com, he spoke about getting and playing the...

Continue reading...

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Discovery has been Assimilated. :borg:

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

More proof DSC is in its own universe, never mind suffering royally from small universe syndrome; TNG and VOY explained the Borg origins sufficiently and in rather a different direction than "Section 31 created it, since they got bored with their other creation they called "Frankenstein'." This show is great as fanfic if not outright fanwank, or they're trolling the audience again.

Deledrius, Rahul and CaptainMurdock like this.
  5. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certainly this means it actually has nothing to do with the Borg? If that really was their 'big twist' then he definitely wouldn't be allowed to say anything like that. Right?

Kor, Deledrius, SolarisOne and 8 others like this.
  6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please point me to the episode where either TNG or YOY explained the origin of the Borg. <--- That's never been done. All that's been stated is that they are on a quest for perfection and take anything advantageous to that end (either biological or technology).

Nothings ever been stated as to what the original and actual 'genesis' of the actual Borg (Hell, some felt that V'GER ended up on a Borg planet and it was the Borg that remodeled it and sent it back out into the Universe to travel and evolve.)

I too really hope they don't end up saying that the Red Angel's time traveling and fight against 'Control' leads to the genesis of the Borg as we've come to know them; but again, to be fair, there's no Star trek episode I know of across Berman era Trek that explains or actually has shown the true genesis of "The Borg'.

(And no, Novels DON'T count as hell, if you go by the Novels there's multiple stories about the genesis of the Romulans and plenty that DON'T involve them being a group of Vulcans that left to the stars after the last Vulcan war that lead to "The Awakening".)

7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I just read that as he liked when Picard was turned into Locutus so was excited to play something similar.

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeez, even the actor thought this was going to be Borg. But the fact that he talks about it openly hopefully means it's not the Borg.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  9. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

If he's being allowed to talk about the Borg, its not a Borg origin thing

10. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

I'm open to whatever, but why doesn't anyone want to know where the Borg came from? Is everyone Borged out?

ichab and CommanderRaytas like this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Because it doesn't matter.

12. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember the source, but wasn't there a proposed Season 5 Enterprise story where Alice Krige was going to play a Starfleet scientist/medical officer that was going to be the first Borg Queen? I seriously think the idea of a Starfleet organization being the genesis of the galaxy's biggest threat is just too good to ignore.

CommanderRaytas and RedAlert like this.
  13. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

If the role of a prequel is to connect the dots for how things became the things we're familiar with later on, then an explanation for the Borg's origin would fit that goal. Within DSC, there are already plenty of questions about "new" things (like certain tech) in an "older" time frame, so exploring something familiar shouldn't be that repugnant of an idea.

If it's not the Borg, that's cool with me, but it's interesting to see what reactions the "B" word gets from people. The Borg are a more divisive topic than ever as one of the most recognizable baddies from ST lore.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

red herring.. get your deep fried red herring! get it while its hot

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't give a shit how the Borg were created. I also don't care how the P became the Q.

Rhodan, ITDUDE, BillJ and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

IZ TEH BORGS!!!1!1!

saddestmoon, ITDUDE and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Alien Guy 4a Borgs.jpg

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably because the origin of the Borg has already been told in the litverse (the Destiny trilogy) and even though that's not canon, we really don't want to see all of that suddenly invalidated.

19. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really, really wish that the idea that prequels need to do that would die.

Kitty Worrier, Kor, Deledrius and 6 others like this.
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Besides, not only do we already know that Control cannot logically be the origin of the Borg, for at least two reasons:

- the Borg have already been in existence for thousands of years by the time we first meet them
    - Control's mission is to destroy all sentient life; the Borg are out to assimilate (not destroy)

...but in all of the flash-forwards that DSC has shown us, Control is never seen assimilating anyone or anything. There is absolutely nothing indicative of the Borg in any of those future scenes.