Poll USS Discovery vs USS Enterprise, who wins?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by marsh8472, Oct 15, 2017.

?

USS Discovery vs USS Enterprise

1. USS Discovery would definitely win

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. USS Discovery would probably win

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Leaning toward USS Discovery

8 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Leaning toward USS Enterprise

16 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. USS Enterprise would probably win

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. USS Enterprise would definitely win

53 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Spock is good enough to mindmeld with the Tardigrade from long distance. The battle is over for the Discovery before it even began.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    CaptainMurdock and shapeshifter like this.
  2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we ever hear this about Sulu? I remember Spock calling him "competent" or something in terms of his tactical ability in 'Arena' or 'Errand of Mercy', but I don't remember his piloting being specifically praised. Maybe I've forgotten something.

3. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

Discovery was made in 2017, while the USS Enterprise is over fifty years older. The former, however, is ran by an idiot.

The Enterprise it is

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

In canon, we know that he could fly a starship, a Klingon B-o-P, and a Huey helicopter - all skillfully. (Skillfully enough to pull off Slingshot, even in the B-o-P, which is apparently a VERY hairy maneuver.) He also pulled off that manual combat shuttle landing in Star Trek V. But I'll admit that I'm also taking the novels into account, which aren't canon, but, his skills are a consistent theme across them, in much the same sense that other things that have been adopted into canon from the novels have been. I would not expect screen canon to contradict them to the extent of suddenly making him just a middlin' fair helmsman. ;)

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Enterprise Vs Science vessel. No contest. What is discovery gonna do? Spinning saucer attack?

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funny, as I recall, he KILLED the guy with the sword (both in the original encounter based on dialogue; and the Talosian fantasy version.)

I mean hell, Kirk LOST initial HTH fights with both Captain Ron Tracy and Garth of Izar; but he's still the template for 'badass' Star Trek Captain. Pike was shown to be able to quickly size up a situation and come out on top. :)

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  7. TheCrankyCardassian

TheCrankyCardassian Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yet he lost enough of the landing party that he fell into a deep depression to the point where he considered retiring and becoming a slave trader. I think the jury is still out regarding his badassery.

Tomalak likes this.
  8. Noname Given

And what did Pike ultimately do in the end? He stayed in Starfleet and 12 years later was a Fleet Captain, who rescued a ship of Cadets.

Kirk often questioned himself and experienced angst over the deaths of crewmen (and women) under his Command (usually once a week ;)).<--- That didn't make him any less competent.

9. TheCrankyCardassian

I have no doubt about whether Pike was competent, I just feel we saw enough of him on screen to declare that he was a badass. :)

Longinus likes this.
  10. TheCrankyCardassian

Doh! That should read we didn’ See enough of him on screen.

11. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The USS Reliant was a science vessel too. That one was pretty close.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it?

13. USS Triumphant

I'm pretty sure we saw less of Robau, and we KNOW that HE was a TOTAL badass. ;)
    Didn't Reliant have the optional combat pod on it, though? She was also being controlled by one of the greatest military minds of Earth's history who had had a bunch of years to know Klingon proverbs and how to control a starship from 300 years in his future and stuff. ;)

Noname Given likes this.
  14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Miranda class seemed to be a generic science ship. When they needed to beef it up to a proper combact vessel it became the Soyuz class.

Reliant only did what it did because of Khan heaavily damaging the 1701's engineering section with conventional phasers.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the only reason that pod is "optional" is because the TNG guys couldn't get the lights on it to work and thus left the whole thing off in "Unnatural Selection"

USS Triumphant likes this.
  16. USS Triumphant

Maybe, but the No-Prize-style diagrams I've seen explaining that are pretty schweet, with optional combat pods and sensor arrays and other stuff. So good job screwing up, TNG guys. ;)

Noname Given and F. King Daniel like this.
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Whatever the plot would dictate, or the scenario. Discovery is an experimental science vessle that seems partially refitted to managing deep incursion hit-and-run missions.

It might be reasonable to assume Constellation ships are somewhat experimental as well since they have their own design-look not really seen elsewhere in this era, including their own uniforms. Enterprise took out a Klingon battlecruiser with one shot, in Errand of Mercy.

In Desperate Hours, Pike's Enterprise is specifically sent by the admiralty to destroy Shenzou and complete its mission, if Pike cannot intimidate Georgiou into complying with her orders. Admittedly it's an older ship, but clearly Starfleet thought highly enough of the Enterprise to handle that task.

In an outright ship on ship battle, Enterprise would most likely win. On a surprise attack, probably Discovery.

18. Tomalak

But the Soyuz has fewer weapons. It's got the expanded cargo/shuttlebay area, and those extensions that look nothing like phasers or torpedo launchers, but it doesn't have the rollbar torpedo unit and the big phaser canons.

19. Tomalak

We don't really know the circumstances, but Ron Tracy committed genocide with one hand phaser. Pike had a landing party armed with similar weapons against opponents of an equivalent level of development.

I feel Pike got away with it at a heavy cost. Maybe there are mitigating circumstances, perhaps his party weren't even armed because they didn't expect to have to fight. I always felt that while he wasn't a bad captain, Kirk would probably edge him in combat.

20. Noname Given

Only because Kirk had either a 'senior moment' (I'm 54 BTW - it happens ;)) - and Khan got phaser hits against an unshielded ship.