Unpopular Trek opinions game

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by StametsFungi, May 15, 2019.

1. Tiberous Q Data

Tiberous Q Data Ensign Red Shirt

I had more reaction to Vulcan even though at least it exists in the Prime timeline though maybe Romulus will be saved in Kelvin and it sort of balance out in a twisted way.

I figure I'm just more familiar with Vulcan and had to watch Spock stand there helpless as it happened.

2. Tiberous Q Data

Tiberous Q Data Ensign Red Shirt

Since virtually every character would be in violation of fratenization restrictions including the likes of Data and hidebound Worf with nary a word of concern about breaking any rules over 50 years of material. Any limitations seem completely personal in origin and few of them totally hard and fast.

Even in 2019 it isn't always the thing it was once upon a time. My company doesn't expect anyone to even report a potential conflict of interest unless it is a direct supervisor scenario as far as I can tell.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it's a space fantasy show with zap guns, woman in revealing clothing, bullshit science and on rare occasions some meaningful social commentary (but not as often as it's reputation would have you believe).
    the term "concentration camps" suggests gas chambers and ovens. what exists on the border are simply jails. if congress were to vote in additional funding the conditions would be better. but then congress would not be able to point to the conditions on the border for political advantage.

trekshark likes this.
  4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Take it to PM, Misc, or TNZ. This is not the place.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s both. If you’re comparing it to most “space fantasy shows with zap guns” and you’re not comparing it to high literature and hard sci-fi, it’s very cerebral and rarely black and white in terms of morality.

Yes, they are concentration camps. They are not death camps. All death camps are concentration camps but not all concentration camps are death camps.

If they were jails, as you say, all the detainees would have official charges against them and access to lawyers.

6. MAGolding

MAGolding Captain Captain

The phrase "concentration camp" implies a camp where people from a wide area are gathered together in a smaller area and thus their population is concentrated within the camp.

Theoretically a summer camp where children from a wide area arrive to spend the summer can be described as a concentration camp.

I once read the phrase "concentration camp" used to describe a camp where United States Volunteers assembled to form companies and regiments and be mustered into service during the US Civil War, by a veteran describing his experiences during the war.

The phrase "concentration camp" gained a sinister implication when those lying Nazis described their extermination camps as "concentration camps" to disguise their true purpose, but that true purpose was eventually discovered. So today no institution will ever describe any camps it may operate as "concentration camps" any more than an institution in western society would adopt a swastika as its new emblem.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Did you guys not see my reply to @Tenacity ? How about the next person who posts the phrase "concentration camp" gets a Warning?

trekshark and SolarisOne like this.
  8. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So anyway...perhaps an unpopular Star Trek opinion would be welcome.... ;)

I think the visual effects in the TOS movies become less-and-less impressive (except for a few choice shots) as they progress.

9. Tenacity

^ In a lot of shots, the Enterprise in The Final Frontier looked like a card-board cut out.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I mean, TMP was designed as a VFX spectacle and I don't any of the following films had near the budget so that's probably true.

However, I think that TUC has some of the best VFX in the TOS film series, especially the zero-g and final battle.

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

That's because in a lot of shots it was.

12. Tenacity

On the other hand the SFX in TWOK were pretty good.

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only agree up to a point. The films directed by Leonard Nimoy are unfortunately the ones that suffer here.

14. Vger23

Really? See, I thought that TSFS looked pretty slick.

15. Vger23

Good point, and the shot of the Enterprise leaving Earth orbit with Spacedock in the background is gorgeous.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

One of the main things that frustrates me about how bad the TFF effects are in general is the fact that TFF got the size difference between the BOP and the Enterprise correct, while SFS had the BOP way too big in comparison to the Big E.

17. redr0bin

redr0bin Ensign Newbie

Yup, hell, I'd argue that some fans have such slavish devotion to one-off lines and Roddenberry quotes that if they had their way Star Trek would be the most boring franchise in the world. The "no money" thing in particular gets me.