Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Holder

Holder Lieutenant Red Shirt

1. I thought the theme song to enterprise was perfect for the setting and essence of the show. Even though I do not care for that form of music...I still liked it in this setting.

2. I liked Enterprise and do not feel it violated cannon anymore than any other previous star trek, including TOS.

3. I liked Voyager. I thought many of the episodes were very imaginative. Voyager took risks and in my opinion it usually paid off.

4. For years, Star Trek V was my favorite. I felt it captured the Kirk, Spock, Bones relationship the best. It never bothered me that Spock had a half brother. A lot of peeps I know do not know I have a half brother and half sister 3 states away...that I have only seen twice in my whole life....I am 35.

5. Star Trek IV is one of my least fav movies. Although I do REALLY like to say "Double dumb ass on you!"

6. Picard is not out of character in the next gen movies.

Some of these have been said, but that does not make them any less true for me.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, because Bashir isn't Bajoran. Kira, on the other hand, is. So if she did that, she could have a case. That's why Worf got away with killing Duras. It was on a Klingon ship, carried out under Klingon law and tradition, and both parties were Klingons. Therefore Starfleet has absolutely no jurisdiction in that matter. I'm not sure Picard even had the right to reprimand Worf.

3. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Joe Haldeman's Trek novel Planet of Judgment is a much stronger book than his signature sf novel The Forever War.

4. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

I have a truly unpopular opinion--at the end of the Voyager series, I wanted Seven and Kim to end up together. Seven and almost anybody would have been better than Seven and Chakotay. She could have done so much better.

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's why Worf got away with killing Duras. It was on a Klingon ship, carried out under Klingon law and tradition, and both parties were Klingons. Therefore Starfleet has absolutely no jurisdiction in that matter. I'm not sure Picard even had the right to reprimand Worf.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get stuck on this so these are my final points.
    Worf left his post and while wearing a Starfleet uniform transported across to a Klingon vessel where he challenged a Klingon national to a duel and subsequently killed him.If Picard had no problem with this why did he dispatch Riker and some goldshirts to stop it?
    And if as you say the Klingons didn't see anything wrong either,well,the Klingons aren't exactly where I would be drawing moral guidance from.
    Please let's leave it there,my original opinion hasn't changed.I still despise Worf.

6. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

First Contact was baller and I fell asleep twice during TWOK.

I find the episodes Timeless, All Good Things..., and The Visitor to be the most overrated episodes of their respective series. Meanwhile, I enjoyed Cathexis and Cost of Living.

The Maquis are generally annoying and I wanted them the die and/or somehow leave the show. Same with all Bajorans.

I think Sisko is the weakest captain, perhaps weaker than Archer and even Janeway.

I don't consider the Defiant to be a "real" starship.

I liked it when Julian was dating Leeta.

Jadzia was a great character but Terry Farrell is a bad actress with some of the worst delivery ever. It took me a solid 20-30 episodes of DS9 to not desperately hate Jadzia to the point where I staunchly preferred Ezri.

7. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion. I don't know how many people would want Seven/Harry specifically, but I think that most people think that Seven/anyone >>>>> Seven/Chakotay. It came out of the left field and they had zero chemistry.

Well, maybe not Neelix. But anyone else.

I just remember another unpopular (?) opinion of mine... or at least controversial: The idea of Federation having a "moneyless economy" makes absolutely no sense.

8. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Mr. Rogers could have played Robert April.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Leslie Neilsen should have played Robert April if they ever showed him. As a homage to "Forbidden Planet" and Neilsen being Kirk's "predecessor".

10. Guardian Bob

Guardian Bob Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

- STV had the best Kirk/Bones/Spock moments.
    - Love Enterprise
    - DS9 had good ideas, but some of the cast held it back.
    - Wished Janeway died bringing Voyager home. Come on, its poetic.
    - Agree Enterprise-D looks like an unbalanced bubble.

I'll think of more, but should get back to homework.

11. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

NCC 1701 D bridge does not look like a hotel lounge and is the way most command centres of the future will look, as we become less militaristic.

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Once you have nearly limitless supplies of energy and replicators, the concept of money does have less meaning. I mean, the only reason we have money today is because we have limited supplies of things. Once that is gone, why need money?

13. DevilEyes

Your premise is flawed. It is impossible to have a limitless or nearly limitless (what does that mean, anyway?) supply of energy or goods. It is an absurd idea. 1) Even if replicators were able to produce everything, they need energy and matter to work with. 2) Energy sure as hell isn't in limitless supply. 3) There are plenty of things replicators cannot reproduce, even in theory. 4) Even for things that can be replicated, it is highly probable that 'real' stuff would be more sought after and considered more valuable. Not to derail the thread, I refer you to : http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=3812477#post3812477

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Not exactly unpopular opinion judging from many of the earlier posts

:wtf: I was under the impression many weren't very fond of this one.

15. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

Well not the "Seven and almost anybody else" as unpopular, just the Seven/Harry part.

No, I'd even prefer Seven/Neelix to Seven/Chakotay. Really.

Ah, common ground.

16. Graywand2

Graywand2 Commander Red Shirt

I agree. The idea of a moneyless economy is stupid and idiotic.

17. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Q should have been the focus of the TNG movies.

The TOS-movie team should handled the TNG movies (Harve should have been brought back, working with Nimoy and Meyer).

The "red-flap" Fletcher uniforms were the best Starfleet uniform design.

18. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

i actually like these opinions...

Rob

19. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

You just HATE the idea that things can be so cheap, that everyone can have them, don' t you? You'd be really lost in the ST universe.

20. DevilEyes

:rommie: :rommie: :rommie:

I'm really trying to figure out why I should hate something that would suit me so perfectly? :wtf: If that universe you talk about existed, I'd love to be there, I wouldn't have to worry about money, I could get anything I want, and I'd go travelling around the Earth and galaxy for free all the time, accompanied by my friends Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

But the problem is, Star Trek is supposed to be Science Fiction, not a fairy tale.

And as for the Federation being moneyless according to the shows, I'm sorry, but there's at least as much evidence, if not more, for the existence of money in the Federation, then there is for the "moneyless economy" (and BTW most of the evidence for the latter comes from character's statements rather than what we see on screen).

Using the analysis on this website:

For:
    Federation credits? What is that but money by another name?

Against:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010