Uniforms color switch between TOS and TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Tracer Bullet, Mar 13, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. Now I have the strongest urge to see TOS Kirk, Sulu and Chekov in red, and Scotty in gold!

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Nothing crummy about your Photoshop work. It does (to my mind, anyway) illustrate the fact that the producers and costumers were right to choose put the actors in the colors that they did. Stewart looks much better in red, and Spiner definitely looks better in gold.

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Here's how it would look ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Thank you!:)

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So can anyone give DS9 in TOS colors a try?

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Why you gotta show me up like that?

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Picard looks pretty good in gold actually... at least if we're talking about these more dignified collared uniforms of seasons 3-7.

The duller-looking gold pajama uniforms from S1-2 were much more unflattering and ugly though, so I can definitely see why the producers went with the red on Picard there.

8. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love that TNG photoshop. Great job!

Data looks great in blue, Picard and Riker look a little strange in gold but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sorry, wasn't my intention! :lol:

I agree that it probably would have taken some getting used to. But for some reason I think that the TOS colors only might have worked with the Season 3-and-beyond uniforms, maybe because of the collar and the looser fit. Clearly it didn't work with the original uniforms, since those are what they were using when they decided Stewart looked better in red.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Skywalker I think this is an impressive image.:techman: Proving the color switch was a mistake between TOS and TNG.:vulcan:

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It was always a teal in Season One of TNG. We had Susan Sackett visit Sydney just after the season ended and, when asked about the colour, she picked out an audience member at a gathering and said that her eyes were "Just the right colour." Bluish green.

Again, it wasn't just a dye variation but was dependent on overhead lights, which can be different for filming and for still shots.

We had a weird experience with DS9 in Australia. We got to see "Emissary" on US broadcast copies on VHS, airmailed by penpals, and then both PAL and NTSC commercial home video copies, and the teal uniforms appeared totally different in each version! One was a very blue blue, one was a green green, and one was in between.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

No, I'm glad they switched the colors.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Me too.

TNG needed to establish its own identity to make it different from TOS, and switching the colors was part of that. It also wisely didn't go for a Kirk wannabe and went in the opposite directing by giving us Picard, a very different type of captain.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's another take, not straight vanilla.

[​IMG]

It's sort of a TOS upgrade, that addresses some issues I have with the three color scheme. Medical (sea green) is split from sciences and security (brown) is split from operations. Picard is wearing the captain's prerogative olive drab. Troi is wearing uniform colors at least, and Wesley is sent back to gray.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

anyone ever done one with tmp random disco-brown and greys and picard in white?

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about this? Officers in red with collar piping to indicate division. Exceptions: Medical = blue, Security = black. Wesley doesn't really count, but let's give him cadet gray with red piping so he can feel special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  17. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Nice photoshop work, but the division piping on the officer uniforms is too subtle. I can barely tell the piping is even there.

It's cool to see the cast in alternate uniforms. It would've been neat to see more uniform colors in the show.

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Or how about no color for no-one?

[​IMG]

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ooh, velvet.:lol:

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Looks like a Babylon 5 rip off!

:devil: