Unbelievable!!!!! A New Kind of Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Philip Guyott, Apr 18, 2016.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Re-editing doesn't require a new actor/character. What a pointless add, no doubt "encouraged" by the studios to draw in more people.

2. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You would think that having over 40 former Star Trek actors in the film would be enough to draw the people in ;). Clearly not.

3. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

Maybe they're making new scenes for DVD/Blu-ray special features? :D

Philip Guyott likes this.
  4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Snoop Dog makes everything better.

:techman:

Amaris and Philip Guyott like this.
  5. 1001001

So I checked in with my super-secret source, and they confirmed all that's being reported.

Snoop Dog has not only joined the cast, but he is now an Executive Director as well.

After some test screenings on both coasts, they are making edits to the film, and yes they are adding some new characters.

It is supposed to be released in "early 2018".

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

"Executive Director"? LOL.

I'd ask what Dogg's been smokin', but it's kind of pointless.

7. sekundant

sekundant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any update?
    Acc.to imdb the film is already completed and I found nothing at fb page.

As I watch the trailer first time, I was horrified, really really horrified, at my own scale more than The Texas Chain Saw Massacre horrified (Original one.. As a child) and erased it totally from my memory. I have to visit an authority today and as I set and wait my number, I remember it, almost every second of trailer...It is just like an earworm, I cannot get it from my head! :brickwall:

8. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The producers were stoned....right?

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they're still alive. We generally don't do that to people anymore, on the basis of bad art.

Xhiandra and Philip Guyott like this.
  10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The OP video doesn't work anymore. What's going on here?

Edit: I found a trailer on Youtube. It has a surprising number of Trek alumni. The humor isn't really grabbing me, though.

Edit again: And now I see I already replied to this thread when it was young!

Kor

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Tim Thomason likes this.
  11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Stoned as in high....

12. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WARNING: ONCE YOU HAVE SEEN THIS YOU CANNOT UNSEE IT!

1001001 likes this.
  13. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

So, a week on from the digital premiere, with the film now available on Amazon (at least in the US) and its IMDB rating dropping like a stone (currently 2.5)...did anybody here give it a look?

I missed the first half hour of the premiere, but caught the remaining 7500000 minutes and it was...not good. Quite impressively spectacularly jaw-droppingly bad, in fact. Wasn't expecting much, but held out hope that the sheer volume of Trek talent involved might manage to salvage something out of the car-crash of a script. Sadly, that was not to be; if anything, that sheer volume of actors worked against the film, because it seemed like absolutely everything that got shot was included. No matter how irrelevant their cameo, absolutely no-one was left out - and because (aside from Wang, Russ and Masterson) most of these are just cameos shot weeks, months (and sometimes years) apart, almost none of them tied into the main 'story'. The film could have ended half a dozen times but then continued on because there were still 30 minutes of cameos left to get through.

Snoop Dogg is probably the biggest example of the film's problems; his may be an impressive name to have attached to the project (and that's about all he brings to the production) but his inclusion is so distracting because he's not really in the film; most of his stuff was shot so late that he only really interacts with a couple of the Trek actors, and the rest of his material just seems to hi-jack the film when we haven't seen him for a while. Random shots of him and his pony laughing in little pop-up bubbles appear over 'dramatic' moments, as if implying that they're having some influence on events, but the main 'action' just carries on regardless. Reminded me of various old 50s B-movies where the director had the likes of Bela Lugosi or John Carradine for an afternoon, so filmed whatever they could and tried in vain to make it relevant in the editing room afterwards...

The story was almost non-existent, the 'humor' was desperate bordering on pathetic, and the final product was just kind of...sad. With so many hugely talented people involved, in front of and behind the camera (it really isn't a badly directed or bad looking film, and is certainly competently made enough to be classified as a film) it would have been nice to see something that really made use of all that talent. Maybe something that celebrated Star Trek a little, rather than taking its inspiration from the 'Epic Movie'-style world of 'parody' films. All the actors are giving it their best, but they really didn't need to. It just made me feel more sorry for them, and for the wasted potential in every single frame of this embarrassment.

Would not recommend.

14. 1001001

We rented it from Amazon Prime for family movie night last night.

We were hoping for a "so bad it's good" kind of deal. Sadly, that was not the case.

Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. A jumbled, incoherent mess with bizarre pacing and editing.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sometimes you can totally tell how bad a movie is from the trailer. :)

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe a fan edit can—- oh forget it.
    Any ships?

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It’s not a Star Trek film, so there are no starships. The basic plot is about four astronauts (three people and one puppet from ‘Team America World Police’) who go to the Moon to stop some kind of alien invasion. And while I haven’t seen it (and don’t plan to) apparently it’s going to give Plan 9 from Outer Space a run for its money.

18. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

There's just the astronauts' shuttle (the Exitprise) and the aliens lived on a space station that was named something similar to Botany Bay, but I'd really checked out by that point.

19. 1001001

A space greenhouse ship called the Botany Flambe.

[​IMG]

Kinggodzillak likes this.
  20. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The original video is gone, but I think I found its soundtrack:

Danja likes this.