UEFA Euro 2024 in Germany

Of course, how else can the country have their hopes yanked away at the last minute without reaching the final?

Finally a good performance and we deserved to win that. 90th minute winner and it was an absolute beauty of a winner. The pub I was in erupted and many drinks later i'm home just taking it in. :beer:

Maybe, just maybe it's written in the stars?

I loved the argument between Wright and Neville over that, if you didn't already know you'd be able to figure out who'd been the striker and who the defender :lol:

I really thought Germany would be in the finals, but their last game was just terrible for some reason. They just couldn't get it together.

Wondering if this is the biggest Own Goal tournament in Euro history. Never seen so many own goals before.

I really thought Germany would be in the finals, but their last game was just terrible for some reason. They just couldn't get it together.

Wondering if this is the biggest Own Goal tournament in Euro history. Never seen so many own goals before.

And so many VAR controlled decisions. No one kicked the VAR monitor, though even if some players were inclined to to so - we have EURO and Cavani is not there;)

As expected - Spain dominate because we go into our shells. Players looked in such fear of the occasion and the opposition. We scored and then went back to long hoofs of nothing so Spain could get the ball back.

A Nation of chokers and losers and we always will be.

Expect Southgate to resign and Last 16 exits to resume in 2026.

England have a really good squad of players, if southgate leaves the next appointment is key. Get it right and last 16 exits won't be on the cards.

Southgate is the one holding the team back, at this point. They keep reaching these finals and semifinals on the backs of sheer talent and moments of individual brilliance. The international game has evolved beyond the old school "sit back and wait for the counter" style of play, and England need a manager with a better grasp of modern tactics if they want to get over the hump.

The impact Southgate has had on the performance of England as a team should not be underestimated. Four tournaments, one quarter final, one semi final and two finals, that's incredible compared to what came before it and Southgate should rightly be lauded as one of the best England managers.

The question is what happens next. I doubt he will stay but if he did then I'd hope for some tactical evolution, maybe even extending his coaching staff to include some new thinking.

If he doesn't stay then who's next and what happens next? In an ideal world a new manager builds upon the great work Southgate has does and is able to take us to the next level. The worst case scenario is that without Gareth England revert to type.

Graham Potter's name gets mentioned a lot. There is a lot to like about him, his ability to coach and develop a team tactically, but he is a man who needs time to evolve a team, it took him a while before Brighton were playing the way he wanted them to play (I believe it was the same at Swansea and obviously with time he might have turned things around at Chelsea although that team is such a mess you wonder if anyone could) and he'd have even less time with the team at international level.

Tuchel and Pochettino have been mentioned but I think England have gone down the "successful foreign manager" route before and it's rarely worked. In addition I could see someone like Tuchel tearing up the hard work Gareth has done to create a new team spirit within the England camp.

I've heard Lampard and Gerrard's names mentioned and anyone mentioning them needs to fuck off and keep fucking off. I don't want either of those lousy managers anywhere near England.

Lee Carsley is an interesting thought, and would be very much going down the Southgate route given he's been the U21 manager for the last three years and likely already knows many of the younger players quite well. His win ratio with the U21s is even better than Southgate's was as well.

Beyond these I think Eddie Howe would be a very good choice. An intelligent manager, good man manager and good tactician.

I think my top three would be Howe, Carlsey, Potter.

Reactions: Jax
Back