UEFA Euro 2024 in Germany

Belgium are a bit like the so called golden generation England had when Sven was in charge. Flattered to decieve.

It was a joke with the constant pitch incursions.

Ronaldo needs to stop taking pictures with kids who run on the pitch, he needs to put out a statement asking them to stop, parents of these kids along with the kids need stadium/tournament bans and the security need to wake the fuck up.

So we can move on to our fourth underwhelming performance ?
Yeah it wasn't great but it's done and we are through. Knockout stages can be different.

How many of us ( who are old enough) look back on italia 90 or even Mexico 86 through rose tinted glasses yet the group stage performances were very average.

What about Portugal in 2016? Bet not many Portuguese focus on the average 3 draws in the group stages, or even scraping through in the knockouts.

Agree other than the 1st half against Serbia it's not been great but hopefully we can improve now

So we can move on to our fourth underwhelming performance ?

England doesn't convince me with its outstanding underperformance. I'm speechless. And: there were a lot of boring matches the last couple of days. Spain is the favorite for me now.

On the other hands: surving the group stage was the most important thing. The best is (hopefully) yet to come....

2018 WC - 12 goals in 7 games
2021 EU - 11 goals in 7 games
2022 WC - 13 goals in 5 games

Southgate's ENG weren't shy of goals in previous tournaments so I think past criticism has always been hyperbolic.

The problem now is that it looks to be a set up that has ran out of gas. Crucial injuries, a couple of bizarre picks and players who just look shattered. I can't see anyone winning with the current crisis in that ENG squad but the draw is favourable and there is a path to the Semi Finals or Final.

Italy out and deservedly so because they stank the place out. It amazes me they won EURO 2020 because since reaching the Euro final in 2012, the national team has been appauling.

2014 - Group Stage
2016 - DNQ
2018 - DNQ
2022 - DNQ

They were simply just walking around the pitch doing fuck all and the Swiss were just toying with them at times.

Italy is now a 2nd rate power in football.

Last edited:
Yes, Switzerland were all over Italy!

A question or two about the Georgia vs Portugal Group stage game. I stopped paying attention to the TV for a few mins as Georgia celebrated in the penalty box, then saw that suddenly the ref is trying to keep both teams apart. I didnt have rewind available, so, what happened?

Plus, did the fan jump almost on top of Ronaldo at full time, or half time? I found a video on YouTube, hadn't seen it on TV!

Last edited:
Italy out and deservedly so because they stank the place out. It amazes me they win EURO 2020 but since reaching the final in 2012, the national team has been appauling.

2014 - Group Stage
2016 - DNQ
2018 - DNQ
2022 - DNQ

They were simply just walking around the pitch doing fuck all and the Swiss were just toying with them at times.

Italy is now a 2nd rate power in football.

This seems to be the case for many top national teams. They win a tournament up to the World Cup and the next one they crash brutally.

It seems all national organizations make the same mistake after winning big - not laying the groundwork for further success aka inviting new players to form the basis of the next generation and relying on the championship players to carry them through the next tournaments but those players get older and maybe even complacent.

Germany was absolute rock bottom in the early 00s until the then national trainer took an axe to the roster and nearly let everybody from the old team go and replaced them with fresh faces. They played very well when Germany hosted the World Cup in 2006, continuously improved over the years until they dominated the World Cup tournament in 2014 with an amazing performance ( including the brutal 7-1 in the semi-final against Brazil).

They won and then took an extremely hard dive in the following years until they were rock bottom again in 2022. Rinse and Repeat.

This new german team is forming well but is not there yet in its consistency but there are signs that future success is possible. Let's see how they finish the Euro championship, they played well so far and rightfully won against Denmark but there are areas of improvement that need addressing.

Back