Tweaking Star Trek History

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by EnriqueH, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

She said it to Jim on the Guardian's planet when her whole universe disappeared, also. While I get the complaint that that it was "the woman" that said she was frightened, she had damn good reason and stated in a clear and even tone. To me it was portrayed as an honest sense of what just happened rather than any type of "hysterical woman" nonsense. I think Checkov was frightened once, too, he reacted much more hysterically.

I'd settle for just some more animated stories. Season 4 would have been cool. I'm one of the people that really didn't have a problem with season 3, so it wouldn't have been a big problem for me. I'd also have liked TMP to be the pilot or start off feature of a Phase II television series instead of just getting Wrath of Khan and 4 more movies. I think Star Trek is lends itself to episodic format much better than the "all or nothing" nature of a lot of movies. You can get away with an episode that's too cerebral or not very much happens, a movie like that is a bomb. But constantly having it be the end of civilization as we know it for each movie makes it trite and removes the very thing they are trying to make, the dramatic tension and "seriousness" is turned into a cliche. So to sum it up for me, not so many movies, more shows with the orginal crew, maybe even a handoff to a new crew in time, have the transistion to the new crew be gradual. A random idea, have Picard start out on Phase II as a newly transferred XO for a season or two and then transition to him being on his new ship.

While I can't stand the rollerskating and disco dancing in Buck Rogers, I loved everything else, (mostly). It was a nice little show, and I thought the second season, while not as "fun" really was a better Star Trek show than some of the "official star trek" we got latter in the 90s. And while Hawk seemed to lose his individuality, I got a real "Jim and Spock" vibe from them, Buck could nod or move his eyes a certain way and Hawk would know the whole plan, and he was Buck right hand in a way I haven't seen much. I thought it was cool, but then maybe I was just wanting to see something that wasn't there. Mark Lenard and Paul Carr also made it feel a little more "Star Trek". But what GR would have done, it's hard to say.

2. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

I'd remove any mentions of the Eugenics War being in the 1990's, leaving the date more ambiguous.

I'd also replace some of Chekov's mentions of Soviet city names.

I'd keep Yeoman Rand in the show as she was intended.

I'd just generally tidy up a few of the inconsistencies - Enterprise being part of the United Earth Space Probe Agency, Spock's more emotional moments, the whole Vulcan/Vulcanian stuff etc.

Just generally tidy up, really.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You're right. I'd forgotten about that one other instance. And you're right she had every reason to feel afraid.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Good idea, I'd go futher and avoid anything that even suggested what century TOS (and later series) were placed in. TOS already did this pretty well.

In Spock's Brain, make the undergound women of average intelligence, otherwise keep it the same.

Have a few more seasons. Season three wasn't everyone's favorite, but it did contain some great episodes along with the stinkers. So more.

In The Children Shall Lead, replace the friendly angel with a kindly old grandmother type actress.

:)

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read this the first time as "Twerking Star Trek History" and am a bit disappointed that it's not...

6. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here, Bill! I love the original BSG with The Cylons and the model work! The new version just didn't click with me!
    JB

7. T'Girl

I can appreciate that they were trying to do something different. The first season was good, and I enjoyed the finale (except the very last scene in the modern streets).

Maybe the Star Trek producers should have brought Moore back one time to do the Enterprise finale.

8. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I really enjoyed nuBSG.

I still haven't seen the original all the way through, but I did enjoy the episodes I did see.

I thought Richard Hatch played an interesting character in nuBSG. I preferred Michael Hogan as Col. Tigh to Terry Carter's version. Loved both Lorne Greene and Edward James Olmos as Adama. Dirk Benedict was ok as Starbuck, too much of a Han Solo clone, but more light hearted. Katee Sackhoff is nicer to look at. I love the original version for its nostalgia, late 70s disco feel, but those nuBSG stories were phenomenal IMO.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I watched a fair chuck of the newer version and (for me) it was just way too much of humans being dicks just to be dicks. I can just go outside if I want to see that.

10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I love the original. I don't want to come down on anyone who likes the new one, I got in trouble once accidentally insulting some of the people that like the nu Star Trek and I don't want to do that again, and I'm sorry still, (Bill I think you were one of the ones I insulted unintentionally), but I don't like the new one. I saw the 4 hour miniseries beginning and it left me so disappointed that I haven't wanted to watch anymore. Everything I've heard about it since has reinforced that opinion. But if any of you reading this like it, please don't imply I'm looking down on you or your opinions, it just wasn't for me.

Sorry about the terrible run on sentences, also.

11. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My tweak would be the originally planned Monday night time slot for the third season,GR would stay then rather than ride off in a huff dumping the dhow in Freiberger's lap to die,

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We've all posted things and then looked back thinking: "what the Hell was I doing?"

I do it daily. :lol:

13. EnriqueH

BOOOOOOOO!!!!

Get in the closet.

14. T'Girl

The Infinite Vulcan, change Spock 2.0 to being "only" 8 feet tall, and not 30 feet. An interesting episode really.

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This came up in the TAS thread: the original plant people were HUGE, we see in like one shot, so the mega-Spock kinda makes sense.

16. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it were, we'd have to take a Wrecking Ball to this thread!:drool:

17. EnriqueH

Well, unless it's Caitlin Dar in a Bill Theiss costume twerking...

18. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you're looking for the "Trekking Star Twerk History" thread.

19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

was going to do a thread like this in General section but EnriqueH beat me to it:lol:.

my tweaks:

TOS season 1-5 (1966-71) - Roddenberry comes back for season 4&5. roughly 10 bone fide classic eps from the 2 seasons. and maybe even a series finale...The Enterprise finally coming back to earth after its 5 year mission...Kirk gazing at it longingly from space dock...a last look at the enterprise...waiting for him to return...

Star Trek Phase II (1976) one season then cancelled as its too damn expensive and Paramount want Trek as a movie

Star Trek The Movie (1979) - Planet of the Titans - always thought POT would've made for a great Prometheus style Trek movie instead of TMP (TMP/Vger wouldve been the hour and a half PII pilot)

Star Treks II/III - TWOK/TSFS as were

Star Trek IV - a Star Wars-esque 'renegade' movie: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=251566

Star Trek V - The Voyage Home but in 1989 and co starring Eddie Murphy!! cmon hed have been great!

Star Trek VI - TUC as was

(f**k it may as well do TNG)
    Star Trek TNG (1987-94) - as was

Star Trek Generations - Yesterdays Enterprise The Movie

Star Trek FC - as was

Star Trek IX - Geordies convenient temporal wormhole at the end of FC sends the Ent E into an alternate universe where the crew have to do battle with an evil Empire. This would become commonly known as 'the Mirror Universe movie'

Star Trek Nemesis – directed by Frakes – another Borg movie. exploring the borgs origins Prometheus style, perhaps even tying them to Vger somehow: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=8872840#post8872840

ENT (2001–2006) – yes a 5th season. Romulan war. More mirror universe. Shatner. End flash forward ep finale at the NCC 1701 launch

JJ Treks - as is

(notice no DS9/VOY:))

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  20. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

And have her take off those silly looking ear muffs!