Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by valkyrie013, Nov 3, 2021.

1. wayoung

wayoung Commodore Commodore

Most coffee makers have timers. Especially the ones fancy enough to be paid product placement.

the G-man, Kor and Nerys Myk like this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Garth of Algar Premium Member

Yep. A lot home devices have such features. Off the top of my head, both my dishwasher and Instant pot do.

3. wayoung

Lol this reminds me of when Disney had this show and a character had like three or four different types of BBQ's and people on a BBQ forum were like "See? We have representation! This character is just like just! Disney is great!"

And I replied with "It's product placement. Disney charges those companies to have their products in it"

And I was promptly informed by 50 or so people that Disney would never do anything just for the money, product placement is not something they would ever consider, it's all character development. All hail Disney!

I don't bother posting there anymore.

the G-man, Admiral2 and Nerys Myk like this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Next time they'll be trying to tell us that TV shows and movies exist for any reason other than to sell ads. :guffaw:

Admiral2 and wayoung like this.
  5. wayoung

Disney is all about the art. They don't care about commerce!

Admiral2 and Nerys Myk like this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Stop it! You're killing me! :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Admiral2 likes this.
  7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

BBQs have character development? :lol:

8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Meat by itself is great.

Meat with BBQ sauce or carribbean jerk sauce... that's development. And growth, from delicious to AWESOME.

I call that character development.

:biggrin::biggrin:

9. wayoung

Bah. If your BBQ needs BBQ sauce, you done messed up your BBQ.

10. Farscape One

Agreed.

I was just giving an example. Sometimes, I just feel saucy...

wayoung likes this.
  11. wayoung

I do have a part mason jar full of homemade BBQ sauce from winter pulled pork cooks in a slow cooker. Now I have an insulated four season smoker so don't have to resort to that again....

But still live in an apartment where I have to store it in a shed and pull it out and chain it up whenever I use it, so it hasn't been getting as much action as I had hoped.

Fingers crossed I find a new house soon.

12. Farscape One

Damn, that's like putting Baby in the garage. Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

(I am referring, of course, to the other star of SUPERNATURAL, the Impala.)

wayoung likes this.
  13. wayoung

For the amount I spent on it, Dean could have done some impressive upgrades to the impala....

I've done a fair bit of food, because it goes through so many pellets it's a waste of I don't fill the space, but haven't hauled it out much. I don't have a freezer beyond my little fridge freezer, so can't really store stuff. Did a brisket for the long weekend though. Turned out fantastic. Lots of beans and snack foods (cheezits, cheesies) just to fill out space.

For me, by myself, I've still been pulling out my tiny portable one. Uses waaaaayyyyyyy less pellets, and is a lot easier to get out and set up. But even that - Bah, too lazy by dinner time.

I have a road trip in a few weeks to Northern NY (including the Enterprise recreation in Ticonderoga) where I was planning on camping for the nights and cooking using the portable one but my sleep is so terrible in general, and just starting to improve, I'm starting to second guess the camping bit. Don't want to be too tired to enjoy all the activities.

(Yes, I am using pellets, I am a blasphemer myself)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

In Kansas City, they do! :drool:

15. Owain Taggart

Done that one a few years ago and was quite impressed with the details. It was a lot of fun to wander around the corridors :). Felt like just being there.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  16. wayoung

I have a t-shirt that says "Red shirt- I may not make it" I was gonna wear for some photos but I dug it out and it's got some old stains on it, might have to pass. Have been planning to go for like a decade but life kept getting in the way.

17. Owain Taggart

^ On the other hand, you could go all out on it and say the stains are blood stains from an away mission that you barely escaped from ;)

18. wayoung

Not that kind of stains, unfortunately. Just like three Tony splotches of discoloration.

I do have a Swear Trek Everything's Fucked (The Red Alert icon with Red Alert replaced with "Everything's Fucked") shirt which would also work.

Booked campsites for two nights and a motel room for the third for that trip in two weeks.

Books some activities for Boston this weekend as well but I got the city pass so I'm flexible, mostly drop in instead of needing to schedule in advance

19. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a very hateworthy action-film trope, possibly originated by heartthrob James Spader in 1984.....the TUFF-TURF triple-punch.........actually only one single punch where we get to see three quick half-second times for maximum enjoyment. This is only to be used when the main character dispatches the final villain. In TUFF TURF's case, the actor was so putrid I've permanently blotted out his name. It's just a good thing we saw him get it three times, otherwise we'd feel 66.6 percent gypped. But it's worth noting Spader shares this movie with co-star sidekick Robert Downey Jr. who almost gets shot in the doohickey, but fortunately Putrid Guy can't even do that properly. If only Downey as Tony Stark had the guts to tell Ultron ''Zip it, Tuff Turf,'' AVENGERS 2 would have the finest inside joke in 21st century cinema.

The triple-punch is more often substituted for the final villain slow-motion death-shot to please sadists, payback lovers and fans of slo-mo. It was just used on one of the 13 episodes of WALKER TEXAS RANGERZZZZZZZZZZ running yesterday which my TV keeps inflicting on me.

20. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Triple punch also happens with any explosion that costs more than forty bucks.
    Car explodes from three camera angles with are edited on top of each other in an attempt to make it look bigger and it fools no one...