Tropes that movies, etc. use that you hate.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by valkyrie013, Nov 3, 2021.

1. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

That is right but they do it with older cars.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

In most cases I've seen, they're older photos where they possibly have to dig through older photos from an actor's past to use, but maybe that's a different but similar issue. In other cases, the actors themselves simply aren't available anymore and the only thing they can do is cobble something up.

3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about the pet dog or cat that always knows when it's in the presence of evil? It will growl and bite or hiss and claw the person. I'd be a truly evil person if that were the case.

4. Watersluis

Watersluis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The trope of a “completely average” protagonist with no distinct characterization or motives who barely exists in his own story beyond a conduit for the viewer to project himself onto, who somehow has everyone fall in love with him for no reason and complement for existing and doing basic things, makes me want to see blood like nothing else.

[​IMG]

5. Owain Taggart

One clever flip of that trope is when the is evil manifesting itself in the cat or dog.

Admiral2 likes this.
  6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've been watching Twilight. I feel for you.

7. Watersluis

No, I avoid that kind of stuff.

This is why I watched the similar but very different Diabolik Lovers instead where instead of falling in love with the protagonist, the vampires are drawn to his blood as he carries the heart of some important vampire or something.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Female version was "Ally McBeal." I mean, don't get me wrong. Calista Flockhart was an attractive woman in the day (might still be) but in a law firm with Courtney Thorne-Smith, Lucy Liu, Portia DeRossi (to name just three) in their primes, it was pretty ridiculous that every single man in Boston was drooling over the skinny neurotic girl every week.

Admiral2 likes this.
  9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, Courtney Thorne-Smith's character was married, Portia DeRossi's didn't come on until season 2, and Lucy Liu's later still.

10. the G-man

Still, subject to whatever Downey was doing at the time, Ally seemed to get more desirable, not less, as the show went on.

11. Watersluis

I liked Alan Shore, by the same writer, a fair bit more.
    He was unethical, smug, sexually harassing, but devilishly charming in a way only James Spader can, and certainly not boring.

Now, as to why Denny Crane seemed to have no troubles getting around, that remains a mystery to me.

auntiehill and Foxhot like this.
  12. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And witty even by David E. Kelley standards. I visually resembled Spader very much during his 2002 SUPERNOVA phase.
    There's a bit of visual similarity still in his BLACKLIST look as well with respect to me. When BOSTON LEGAL ran during the first year, not only was I a huge Shore fan, I actually channelled Spader's wit-behavior within my first TREK forum.

But after seeing Justin Timberlake in THE SOCIAL NETWORK, I realized I might have taken things a bit too far.

13. the G-man

Because he’s William F******g Shatner ;)

auntiehill and dupersuper like this.
  14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Mechanical watches stopping working

Whenever there is something going down that takes out all electrical systems in an area all mechanical watches ( wristband, those big grandfather clocks, on belltowers etc) also stop working, it even happens when there's time travel involved.

Why? These are mechanical devices, they work on physical principles that don't involve electricity and are not dependent on the flow of time.

Bugs me everytime.

Admiral2 and auntiehill like this.
  15. Foxhot

Somebody else might have previously mentioned this: the upset teenage daughter who leaves while running up the stairs like the tired stereotype she is. (Always during sitcoms.)

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

SSSSHH!!

17. Foxhot

There's a subtler trope in lots of dramatic films which I don't hate.....but it's quite common.

When a slew of vital characters perish separately, usually in a suspense thriller, only one funeral for one character will be visually depicted (see Godfather One, Omen II or Avengers IV, among lots of others).

Fortunately A Fish Called Wanda saw great comedic value in showing two funerals instead of one.

dupersuper likes this.
  18. Foxhot

Another really overused trope I should have called out long ago is end-punctuating an insult with the word ''bitch.''

19. Owain Taggart

^ I usually cringe when that happens. Some even end up drawing it out and try to be cute.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm no coffee drinker but new one - someone gets up in the morning, walks into the kitchen and pours a cup of coffee from the coffee machine. Did that coffee sit overnight there ( in which case it should be horrible i assume) or who made it in the morning?