Tron Legacy teaser trailer now available

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hyperspace05, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You don't think he'd have been released by now? 30 years is a long time. Would Dillinger's actions have warranted such a long sentence?

Besides...
    Wasn't a newly released Dillinger supposed to be responsible for fCon, the company that tried to take over Encom in the Tron 2.0 game?

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

See if you can roll with me on this...

My friend and I had the same observation watching the trailer and thinking about the original film.

The original film had an effect on us, where even in the real world scenes it all seemed a little strange (how many times do you see a helicopter lit by neon lights? I mean it's possible that they are out there, but it is odd... and I don't think anybody in the 80's had a desk/computer.) In many ways, my memory is telling me that the setting of the real world in Tron was generic. It could have been any city.. (kind of like the city Anderson (Neo) worked in while in the Matrix)on any world, or paralell earth type planet, and that this generic ambiguity really made Tron stick out as a somewhat profound sci fi film. Yet in the new trailer, there is a shot where you can see the logo of his bike, and even more prominently, you can see a quarter, a true American quarter, drop on the floor, giving the "real world" a distinct and specific time and place. I found it distracting.

Thoughts?

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

That's the game, not the movie; both have different continuities. Beside, I'm amazed that Dillinger would have enough moolah to take over ENCOM after what was revealed in the trial to begin with, let alone be able to raise said cash from any investor.

Here's mine: the world seen in Tron is our world, and the city is not a generic city, but plain ol' LA, specifically Silicon Valley, where most of these companies are located. I didn't find what I saw in the trailer any different, other than Flynn's being out of business because of the death of most arcades in North America.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Why would you think that? Or am I misreading you?

5. stueyross

stueyross Captain Captain

I think i just did a little sex wee

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I meant the talking computer desk Dillinger had.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well they had a working matter-energy converter in the basement, so a talking-comp desk wouldn't be that far of stretch. Encom might have had a lot of "in development" or flashy "proof of concept" tech floating around. And a D-bag like Dillinger would likely take a flashy one-of-the-kind concept-computer terminal as his own just to show off.

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Oh, I gotcha! :techman:

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

You are slightly missing my point. Sure, they had those thing in th real world in the film, but it all was odd when compared to the actual world of the early 80's... very close to that reality, but different enough. The real world in the fist film was merely a context in which to place the cg worl, but it wasn't distinguished in time or place. It could have been a paralell earth or something.

10. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

That's true of practically any movie.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

All I'm saying is that by putting a quarter (looking as we know them, with an eagle on it) in the new film, the real world as depicted in the film is given a specific place and time (insomuch as that it is "Modern Day America") whereas the first film (from my memory anyway) placed the film in a universe that was seemingly modern day American in the early eighties, but nothbing about it particularly pointed out and said that it was. It was just a reality in which they set the world, kind of the way Amsterdam was unsed in The Matrix. They filmed there, but the film didn't take place in Amsterdam or any other city with a name; it was a generic city. In that film, the city was construct of the machines. But in Tron, the generic city was more of an allegorical construct of the filmmakers who were creating a kind of mythic fable, telling a story that had to begin in what would be known as a real world, but it didn't matter what that real world was save that resembled the one that we lived in hte 80's. Even if it was set in silicon valley was unimportant to the film, because the film worked on another level.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

*gnahahaha*

*lies drooling on the floor*

:drool::drool:

Finally.. one of my childhood favorites reappears on the big screen.

If only cinemas would play both of them as a special screening...

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but I'm totally not with you. In Tron, it seemed like a normal, everyday major city, to me. I don't feel there was any effort to make it some sort of mythic fable "real world" allegory at all. It didn't feel that way, and in none of the extensive making of documentaries that I've seen have they ever said or even come close to implying that they were going for that.

There were regular, familiar games in Flynn's Arcade, for instance, as well as ads for Atari and Colleco.

And The Matrix was filmed in Australia.

14. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Just what I said before:

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, but in the film, there only seems to be one huge city (in the Matrix).

AFAIK, the world of the Matrix only consists of one city, where all of humanity lives - that's all the machines bothered to simulate, it was not literally the whole world. I guess they figured it'd use less computing power that way. :p

16. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would you guys believe I've never seen Tron?

But I will before watching Legacy, that's for sure. :)

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I just saw it in December.

It was...okay. I imagine a heavy dose of nostalgia would make it better. I did enjoy the documentary that came with the disc, though. A lot of work went into that film.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I imagine a first time viewing in the 21st Century would be tough. I've been inspired to dig up my DVD, haven't watched it in a while, I'm curious if it will hold up at all.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Bridges gives a very good performance, and David Warner is always enjoyable as a villain. Boxleitner is, as usual, a ham, but the film has its moments. The CGI falls flat, of course, but the actual animation is pretty impressive.

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a great film, full of imagination. The characters are somewhat flat, saved by the actors playing them. And the pacing is SLLLOOOWWWW at times. But I still love it. This new film looks like they took all that was good with the first, excised the not so good, updated the SFX and away we go, which is what they needed to do.

Gonna be a good time for Tron fans, old and new.